The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@mattybfat, I few years ago i had a similar issue. Did you try this? It worked for me.

To perform a master reset:
  • Power device off.
  • Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop.
  • Power device on while still holding both buttons.
  • Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears.
  • Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mattybfat, I few years ago i had a similar issue. Did you try this? It worked for me.

To perform a master reset:
  • Power device off.
  • Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop.
  • Power device on while still holding both buttons.
  • Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears.
  • Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears.
Thanks Dan, tried that a few times with no success. It very well could be fried. I was using it before this failure after the most recent charge. Will see when I get it home and hook it up.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks Dan, tried that a few times with no success. It very well could be fried. I was using it before this failure after the most recent charge. Will see when I get it home and hook it up.
You can find default verisons of the software online if you continue to have issues..

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Garmin mystery has been solved.
Plugged it in cycled up
Charging from 0% thats zero.zero nothing.
Its hard having a barely functioning eye getting through life.

Took a ride around the block which was a country block, before packing and traveling home. Packed up gased up and had a pretty uneventful ride which was a solid. Love hitting the highway on midweek days.

Back to being a psyclopse, back in 1992 I was on a job site in midtown NY where we were enclosing back stairway. I was shooting (powder acculated gun) into steel with concrete pins, because that's how my company rolled. This was before safety and ohsa made their NYC presence known. IIRC we were on a double stacked baker (small roller scaffolding) and I was reaching out one foot on baker one hand holding a beam and trying to pop the upper track (what steel studs stand in) that my partner was holding up. One of those pins like many shattered and a piece blew through my eye. Nothing hurt except a large blob of black floated through the eyesight and flashing.

Long story short I went to 2 eye doctors via cab because shop could care a less. After the 2nd doc he scheduled me for surgery in 2 hours. I can't say enough that if this happened anywhere else then NY I would be an eye patch guy. Turns out the 2nd doctor was part of the team that figured out how to laser repair the retina which mine was torn.
They needed to do surgery right away because of the metal need to come out asap before corrosion.

So I lost 50% of the vision back then, and now I need to go back to NY comp and file again because I am starting to go dark in that eye. It was good for a long while but now I see nothing out of that eye except a very dim light. Sure has made things a tad different as I am always banging my head, clipping trees on rides. Want to fuck with me toss me something, it will be hysterical.

I am still very grateful either way, one eye or two that I can still ride my bike. Just not as fast as I used to ✌

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn dude I had no idea about the eye.

Followed your roll at Gurney today. I think the middle lot works out best. Ending with Rogue Ext to Yellow is the shit. But it’s hard to go wrong here.

I’ve got 2 LP loops for you if you go. Overall I’m gonna say LP isn’t quite ready for the big time just yet. It needs a few years.

GreenMachine

The Garmin mystery has been solved.
Plugged it in cycled up
Charging from 0% thats zero.zero nothing.
Its hard having a barely functioning eye getting through life.

Took a ride around the block which was a country block, before packing and traveling home. Packed up gased up and had a pretty uneventful ride which was a solid. Love hitting the highway on midweek days.

Back to being a psyclopse, back in 1992 I was on a job site in midtown NY where we were enclosing back stairway. I was shooting (powder acculated gun) into steel with concrete pins, because that's how my company rolled. This was before safety and ohsa made their NYC presence known. IIRC we were on a double stacked baker (small roller scaffolding) and I was reaching out one foot on baker one hand holding a beam and trying to pop the upper track (what steel studs stand in) that my partner was holding up. One of those pins like many shattered and a piece blew through my eye. Nothing hurt except a large blob of black floated through the eyesight and flashing.

Long story short I went to 2 eye doctors via cab because shop could care a less. After the 2nd doc he scheduled me for surgery in 2 hours. I can't say enough that if this happened anywhere else then NY I would be an eye patch guy. Turns out the 2nd doctor was part of the team that figured out how to laser repair the retina which mine was torn.
They needed to do surgery right away because of the metal need to come out asap before corrosion.

So I lost 50% of the vision back then, and now I need to go back to NY comp and file again because I am starting to go dark in that eye. It was good for a long while but now I see nothing out of that eye except a very dim light. Sure has made things a tad different as I am always banging my head, clipping trees on rides. Want to fuck with me toss me something, it will be hysterical.

I am still very grateful either way, one eye or two that I can still ride my bike. Just not as fast as I used to ✌
Im sure nyc is great and
I’m sure you’ve heard of it considering the severity of your situation- but you may want a fresh opinion; Wills eye institute of Philadelphia is renown for what you’re going through. I go there yearly for an issue I have .
Good luck ?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
20200708_055917.jpg

After 5 days of miSSfiting, it always feels strange jumping on this beast. Entirely 2 different bike geometrys. I have a love/hate relationship going on with the ripmo. I save for a full opinion review from an average guy after much more saddle time. Half the battle is its heavy and so am I. I am having a real hard time liking this long and low platform. I have had at least 3 pedal strikes at full speed, scary shit. One strike i actually bent the pedal spindle. The other is slow speed tech. Again I hope that fitness will advance that problem. Either way low and long and heavy make for a balls out downhill blast. Extremely stable is best description.

Stephens water has disappeared, i can't carry enough water for both me and the dog so it maybe time to start leaving her behind.
As long as I am not battling deer/horse flys
I will continue MTBing over the road for now. What a morning difference, upstate I was regularly starting in the low 60s and todays start was 74 and humid AF.
20200708_064152.jpg

@Norm funny you say middle start at gurney as it splits the 2 sides. All the times I went never once did I start middle. Rouge extension is roller coaster fun. Did you hit E20? I must of about 10x. Definitely like to explore more of the area including LP. West mountain is small ski slope in Queensbury but is open with DH/XC trails. Definitely want to bring the ripmo for that.
20200708_065503.jpg

@soundz Does this make you hungry?

No worries about the eye as i really dont notice much until i look left over the shoulder on the road. Been thinking about some kinda mirror because thats a real issue. Anyone have a recommendation for a quality mirror let me know because I have had a few in the past and all were garbage.

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain✌

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah we hit E20 and Tango but at that point my dropper lever mount had broken so I was climbing everything with the saddle fully down. We hit pretty much every trail in the place yesterday.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Went out with a plan
20200709_055958.jpg

Climb hally toe 5x
2x tally ho
2x chimney drop
Final run full burger
Well at the top of hally on my second up I started to get a skip in granny. Figured its a finicky eagle adjustment. So fought through the skip till midway through hally 3rd climb and stopped to play with cable adjustment. Remember a couple post back about vision because this comes into play. So I start/stop about 4x and now everything is a mess. Didn't roll with tools because I knew I would be close to van. So down an out I roll back to van. Get back, plug my 3.00 lens on and boom!
20200709_063916.jpg

My frustration was already on high you see because I spent most of my climbing this morning with many out loud FUCKS! First 1/4 of hally is littered with rocks on pitches and today mother nature greased them up extra because it heard of my plan. First climb I must of dabbed close 8x. When I got to the top I dropped PSI which I was not in favor of for the DH runs but a quarter sized rock was throwing my rear off. Second climb was better but not by much. Dropped a few more PSI after second Tally run. Was having success on that 3rd climb until broken granny sent me into red.

You have to remember i have been for the most part a SS rigid rider for a very long time and it was because of this bullshit we put up with. I always said I should have been a cycling product tester because I have broken so much crap over the years. I am the sucker who buys latest greatest garbage to find out its just that. Hopefully Garbaruk stands by their product and does the right thing. I mean I have less then 10 rides on this cassette.

@Ryan.P how long has your experience on this cassette been?

For now granny is shelved and my plan went down the toilet because of my disgust. I suppose I could of just challenged myself to stay out of granny, which i should of but now will revisit tomorrow. Maybe I should just stick with old reliable Misfit, she never lets me down.

Keep It Simple Stupid ✌

serviceguy

Went out with a plan
View attachment 133801
Climb hally toe 5x
2x tally ho
2x chimney drop
Final run full burger
Well at the top of hally on my second up I started to get a skip in granny. Figured its a finicky eagle adjustment. So fought through the skip till midway through hally 3rd climb and stopped to play with cable adjustment. Remember a couple post back about vision because this comes into play. So I start/stop about 4x and now everything is a mess. Didn't roll with tools because I knew I would be close to van. So down an out I roll back to van. Get back, plug my 3.00 lens on and boom!
View attachment 133802
My frustration was already on high you see because I spent most of my climbing this morning with many out loud FUCKS! First 1/4 of hally is littered with rocks on pitches and today mother nature greased them up extra because it heard of my plan. First climb I must of dabbed close 8x. When I got to the top I dropped PSI which I was not in favor of for the DH runs but a quarter sized rock was throwing my rear off. Second climb was better but not by much. Dropped a few more PSI after second Tally run. Was having success on that 3rd climb until broken granny sent me into red.

You have to remember i have been for the most part a SS rigid rider for a very long time and it was because of this bullshit we put up with. I always said I should have been a cycling product tester because I have broken so much crap over the years. I am the sucker who buys latest greatest garbage to find out its just that. Hopefully Garbaruk stands by their product and does the right thing. I mean I have less then 10 rides on this cassette.

@Ryan.P how long has your experience on this cassette been?

For now granny is shelved and my plan went down the toilet because of my disgust. I suppose I could of just challenged myself to stay out of granny, which i should of but now will revisit tomorrow. Maybe I should just stick with old reliable Misfit, she never lets me down.

Keep It Simple Stupid ✌
You obviously put down more torque than the average cyclist. Lower PSI = more traction but also means the wheel will resist more to the torque you put down, something got to give and it ain’t you apparently! Those cogs seems very skinny, probably given your brute strength you should stick to chunkier cassettes. Not that it matters, but that chain...

serviceguy

I would also stay away from plans. They have a habit not to work out sometime. Not for me at least, most of the times.

given the fracture location it could have been also a small scrape from machining or earlier impact creating a weak point that gave way once under ludicrous torque mode.

johnbryanpeters

I would also stay away from plans. They have a habit not to work out sometime. Not for me at least, most of the times.

given the fracture location it could have been also a small scrape from machining or earlier impact creating a weak point that gave way once under ludicrous torque mode.
Examination using a loupe would be in order if really seeking history and/or cause, looking for inclusions, evidence of oxidation, prior mechanical damage, ya-da-ya...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

You seem like a really good guy, but I am pretty much anything but powerful
Examination using a loupe would be in order if really seeking history and/or cause, looking for inclusions, evidence of oxidation, prior mechanical damage, ya-da-ya...
Sounds above my pay grade :) , i will just take their word and replacement. If it STB again its then on me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some observations:

1. The signs are back at Stephens?
2. Your chain is rusty
3. That eagle sure looks bad
4. I break more stuff than you
5. What time do you start these rides?
6. (asking for a friend)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some observations:

1. The signs are back at Stephens? Some survived
2. Your chain is rusty- yes and I knew that yesterday also
3. That eagle sure looks bad- everything eagle is bad> football team the band and components
4. I break more stuff than you thats a bet worth taking, hey fanduel whats the odds
5. What time do you start these rides?
6. (asking for a friend)
Breaking this down
1. The signs are back at Stephens? (Some survived)
2. Your chain is rusty (yes and I knew that yesterday also)
3. That eagle sure looks bad (everything eagle is bad (football team the band and components)
4. I break more stuff than you (thats a bet worth taking, hey fanduel whats the odds)
5. What time do you start these (sunrise)
Screenshot_20200709-093420_Chrome.jpg

6. (asking for a friend) lucky you, you have friends, i got so desperate i had to get a dog.

Top Bottom