The "Ultimate" Drivetrain?

TomS887

So supposedly you can put the SRAM AXS upgrade kit derailleur on a Shimano 12spd drivetrain and it works perfectly for the "ultimate" drivetrain (hollowtech 2 shifting + AXS wireless shifting)... Tempting. Anyone ever try this?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So supposedly you can put the SRAM AXS upgrade kit derailleur on a Shimano 12spd drivetrain and it works perfectly for the "ultimate" drivetrain (hollowtech 2 shifting + AXS wireless shifting)... Tempting. Anyone ever try this?

I think a few people on here did this. Supposedly this is the best set up for axs

jackx

I haven't tried it. I have standard X01 on my MTB and shifting has been flawless for almost 2 years.

I am looking at a new road bike and have been leaning hard towards SRAM AXS, but wondering if I should splurge on SRAM Red. However, from what I've been reading lately it sounds like a lot of people aren't happy with the shifting performance, especially under load or while standing.

Now that Shimano Ultra 8150 Di2 is released/forthcoming, I have the feeling that the newest Ultegra will shift better and smoother than even SRAM Red, and for significantly less money.

TomS887

The selling point of the Shimano hollowtech is the being able to shift to lower gears mid climb without even needing to think about it, under full load. My previous bike was 20 years old so when I upgraded to the XT 12spd the difference was astounding, but I don't have much experience with SRAM to know how theirs compares. Generally I've heard it's good but not as good as Shimano for this, but they have the wireless stuff, thus the "ultimate" idea.

The Shimano wireless MTB stuff is not quite here yet, no? I also think the SRAM derailleur lock is way easier than the Shimano clutch release, in my limited experience.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
SRAM AXS is badass. I had X01 on the mtb and force on my road bike. Mtb stuff is considerably lighter than Shimano but the road stuff is significantly heavier. I'd. E wii g to try this 12 speed mix but Shimano is atheist 4 years behind the times with no wireless shifting. Between the sram app, the sram tech on YouTube and the ease of setup why would I change? Long race? Keep a lightweight pare battery in your pocket. My two setups have been flawless for over two years and the Sam goes with the axs reverb Dropper. I did convert my road bike to a 1x with 52oval and a 10-36.

JDurk

SRAM AXS is badass. I had X01 on the mtb and force on my road bike. Mtb stuff is considerably lighter than Shimano but the road stuff is significantly heavier. I'd. E wii g to try this 12 speed mix but Shimano is atheist 4 years behind the times with no wireless shifting. Between the sram app, the sram tech on YouTube and the ease of setup why would I change? Long race? Keep a lightweight pare battery in your pocket. My two setups have been flawless for over two years and the Sam goes with the axs reverb Dropper. I did convert my road bike to a 1x with 52oval and a 10-36.
Came here to read that SS was the ultimate drivetrain.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have this setup. XT cassette, chain and Shimano chainring but Shifting is done by the GX AXS shifter and derailleur.

Then I have another bike with full SRAM AXS xx1.

I can’t tell a difference. If anything the full AXS shifts better but it’s barely noticeable.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have this setup. XT cassette, chain and Shimano chainring but Shifting is done by the GX AXS shifter and derailleur.

Then I have another bike with full SRAM AXS xx1.

I can’t tell a difference. If anything the full AXS shifts better but it’s barely noticeable.
Comparing xx1 to gx doe

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'd like to see what the new 12 speed Di2 is like but AXS is hands down better than 11-speed Di2. I rode 8000 Di2 on my Defy and SL6 for 3ish years before moving to AXS on the road and AXS really is better. No contest. On MTB I think any electric group will be a huge upgrade because the crux of the system is the cable and convoluted cable routing. I'm surprised some bikes even shift with a cable group with how nutty routing gets.

Anywhoo. I'm going to test an XT setup not because I think it will be better or different. I need to take the cassette apart and run like 8 Cogs to make clearance for a 5" tire on my Blackborrow. I ran 1/2 a cassette when I had my 907 because I ran 100mm wheels on that too and they didn't fit. I've been paying attention to the AXS App Data to get an idea of which Cogs I use to pick which pieces I take out.

Screenshot_20211130-185512_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom