The Toughest Trail Climb in NJ

Foster57

I like this thread. What's the toughest in northern NJ? White trail in Allamuchy from tranquility lot comes to mind

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

johnbryanpeters

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Along the western fence at the south damn.
We put in a switchback climb under the powerlines to soften that up a bit.

I have it on traillforks as a downhill

IMBA trail crew put those in in 2000. We just repaired them a few times.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
IMBA trail crew put those in in 2000. We just repaired them a few times.

The lower part through the fence?

Fairly sure we (JORBA) did the upper part that went in/out of the powerlines - it was straight up, just in the woods on the west side.
@Norm was pushing for it. I remember parking on the dam(n) access road??

Speaking of which, might be a good place to ride today!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was well before my time. I think I once worked on them when Bob Adase was the lead there.

Also, not that it matters in regards to this thread, but I have been talking to the super at RV and we are going to move forward on some TM sessions this year. The switchbacks will be something that gets some attention. I do want to reroute some of that stuff but there is some trimming work that will need to take priority over that.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah Pat. All IMBA built from top to bottom. It actually has not changed that much since the original build. We added some rocks to the turn up top and added a grade reversal. Some cut thru lines happened over time. And the park workers did some damage and alternative lines were made. It actually could use some updating with more added grade changes. The fence line was worked on a couple times by the park and the trail conservation. But it’s a lost cause.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions