The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

1x1

Rode West side of Glenwood Mtn Road in Vernon Twp. last week. Couldn't find it on this thread with a search. SURPRISED!!

544' in 1.1 Miles for a 10.6% Grade

It'll explode your avioli sacs!!!!

:D

Robin

Brought my bike to school/work today and did a loop that included 4 Bridges. Good climb...wasn't expecting the last little punch at the top. Want to check out Fairview, Tinc, and Stephens Mill next.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A guy I work with told me yesterday he used to live on 4 bridges rd. He told me he got a kick out of watching cars without 4 wheel drive try to make it up to the top in a snow storm.

jackx

Brought my bike to school/work today and did a loop that included 4 Bridges. Good climb...wasn't expecting the last little punch at the top. Want to check out Fairview, Tinc, and Stephens Mill next.

My house is located in that area so I'm familiar with them all. I think Four Bridges is the most challenging of those you mentioned. Fairview is punchy at the bottom coming from Naughright Rd. But other tough ones are Drakestown Rd (near bottom of Tinc), Zellers Rd., Naughright Rd. and Schooley's Mtn. Rd. too of course close nearby should not be missed. Zellers Rd., Naughright Rd. and Schooley's Mtn. Rd. have previously been mentioned I presume.

Robin

My house is located in that area so I'm familiar with them all. I think Four Bridges is the most challenging of those you mentioned. Fairview is punchy at the bottom coming from Naughright Rd. But other tough ones are Drakestown Rd (near bottom of Tinc), Zellers Rd., Naughright Rd. and Schooley's Mtn. Rd. too of course close nearby should not be missed. Zellers Rd., Naughright Rd. and Schooley's Mtn. Rd. have previously been mentioned I presume.

Thanks for the heads up! I noticed where Fairview popped out yesterday and thought it might be a good one since it goes up the same ridge. I lived near Tinc/Stephens but didn't own a road bike then. Go figure!

I've climbed Naughtright (was part of a TT I did this past summer), Drakestown and Zellers. I think Zellers/Middle Valley is the hardest out of those.

Always looking for new roads to ride. Perhaps once CX is done I'll be able to cross more climbs off my list :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Robin

You need to jump to the other side and do Lebanon :)

I know!!! After CX season ;)

I'll make my way down that ridge eventually. I was thinking this morning on my drive up from High Bridge that I should get a hold of the Lebanon 52 route to see what's included.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You need to jump to the other side and do Lebanon :)

Up Zellers, then up Lebanon, then turkey top.... Then if you still want more, drop down pt mountain and climb up mountain view.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the heads up! I noticed where Fairview popped out yesterday and thought it might be a good one since it goes up the same ridge. I lived near Tinc/Stephens but didn't own a road bike then. Go figure!

I've climbed Naughtright (was part of a TT I did this past summer), Drakestown and Zellers. I think Zellers/Middle Valley is the hardest out of those.

Always looking for new roads to ride. Perhaps once CX is done I'll be able to cross more climbs off my list :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

you may be right on the Zeller/Middle Valley statement although N. Four Bridges is not friendly, particularly that right turn...

Tinc is steep in first section but is then pretty ok. same with Drakestown. the switchback at the bottom of Drakestown (from River) is REALLY steep and i'd rate the two about even.

fairview has a couple steep sections too, but IIRC nothing as pitchy as the others. i haven't ridden up there in awhile b/c during the summer the flies are AWFUL. they stalk you.

by far the easiest way up the ridge is river road, naughtright gets second b/c there are no super steep pitches.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Young Rob confirmed what I have been saying all along today. Millbrook was harder then iron bridge or fiddlers. Maybe because we just did flatbrook to Millbrook just before it and hit the bottom of it at mile 70 :-D I ended up paperboying more then half, it totally demoralised me today.

Spylab

Young Rob confirmed what I have been saying all along today. Millbrook was harder then iron bridge or fiddlers. Maybe because we just did flatbrook to Millbrook just before it and hit the bottom of it at mile 70 :-D I ended up paperboying more then half, it totally demoralised me today.

I thought they'd have a lot of that area cordoned off due to the gov't shutdown. Old Mine Road is open?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought they'd have a lot of that area cordoned off due to the gov't shutdown. Old Mine Road is open?

It looked like it was but oldmine north of Millbrook was not. Everything around Peters Valley was open. uploadfromtaptalk1381360034490.jpg River road in Pa was closed but we snuck in...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is that paved the whole way up? Do paper boys who ride up a hill without paperboying it betray their craft?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is that paved the whole way up? Do paper boys who ride up a hill without paperboying it betray their craft?

Yes they would be thrown out of the paperboy union. Yeah it's paved, 1.2 miles straight up to the top and gets steeper as you go...

ebarker9

Which Millbrook is this? Did a ride a while back with Iron Bridge and Fiddlers. Survived Iron Bridge without too much thought of falling off the bike, but I was cooked on Fiddlers and had to walk the second half of the steepest portion. Still planning my revenge.

SpartaBard

Which Millbrook is this? Did a ride a while back with Iron Bridge and Fiddlers. Survived Iron Bridge without too much thought of falling off the bike, but I was cooked on Fiddlers and had to walk the second half of the steepest portion. Still planning my revenge.

The one from Old Mine Road towards Blairstown in the ballpark of the Water Gap.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, 185 is lights out. So you not only go backwards but you go underground too?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anything over 100% and you finish before you start.

185% is only like 62 degrees. You need a triple for that maybe.

Top Bottom