The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

vintb

what road does the fiddler's climb start?
i'm in long valley and am wondering where that is.
thanks.

freeride

the 3 toughest climbs in nj for me are

skyline drive
http://app.strava.com/activities/53657941#972624602

pb last saturday

941326_569118353128620_580933184_n.jpg

schoolhouse lane
http://app.strava.com/activities/54222593#985680323

alpine climb
http://app.strava.com/activities/50481349#896780553

icolquhoun

^^^^schoolhouse is legendary...used to be the road all the fast guys in the 90's would have pissing contests over, i forget my time back then(high 7's), but pete lopinto had the fastest time with like 7 minutes flat or something like that.....

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doesn't Fiddlers get progressively less steep at the top?

I was there last weekend and When the steep section is over, the climb is too. The strava segment may keep going, but the shit is stupid anyway (meaning people who make the segment end in a less than obvious place...for example, having a steep climb, but the segment ends after a quarter mile of flat)

Anyway, imo, iron bridge is harder than fiddlers. I'm pretty sure those are the two toughest climbs in nj. At least thats what that site says.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was there last weekend and When the steep section is over, the climb is too. The strava segment may keep going, but the shit is stupid anyway (meaning people who make the segment end in a less than obvious place...for example, having a steep climb, but the segment ends after a quarter mile of flat)

Anyway, imo, iron bridge is harder than fiddlers. I'm pretty sure those are the two toughest climbs in nj. At least thats what that site says.

problem i have is i have 2 or 3 climbs unpopular that will wish you didn't. Best part is I can loop all in one ride... This is not taking away from the others cuz they all suck :D

Robin

enjoying this thread..compiling a "to-do" list...

crossed Iron Bridge off my list this past weekend. I came down Ludlow Station to get to it - that is a crazy hill too!

Yesterday rode up Mountain Rd. in Roxbury. The stench of Fenimore made the climb that much harder. Also got up Reger from the west.

Jeremy, you've got some punchers in your backyard. I'm hoping to hit some (Zellers and Sanitorium) before the school year is over!!!!!!!

Last edited:

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
enjoying this thread..compiling a "to-do" list...

crossed Iron Bridge off my list this past weekend. I came down Ludlow Station to get to it - that is a crazy hill too!

Yesterday rode up Mountain Rd. in Roxbury. The stench of Fenimore made the climb that much harder. Also got up Reger from the west.

Jeremy, you've got some punchers in your backyard. I'm hoping to hit some (Zellers and Sanitorium) before the school year is over!!!!!!!

Nice.. There are a bunch right around here. I would skip Sanitorium, its not really a destination climb like Zellers is. There are 4 climbs off of musconetcong river road that are all worth doing.... Dutch Hill, Forge Hill, Mountain Top, and Point Mountain (do you see a trend forming?? :D )

Robin

Nice.. There are a bunch right around here. I would skip Sanitorium, its not really a destination climb like Zellers is. There are 4 climbs off of musconetcong river road that are all worth doing.... Dutch Hill, Forge Hill, Mountain Top, and Point Mountain (do you see a trend forming?? :D )

Ooh thanks for the suggestions! I will have to look at a map and make some routes!

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm hoping to hit some (Zellers and Sanitorium) before the school year is over!!!!!!!

If you want it to be more of a challenge go up Sanatorium, down Skinner and make a left up Rocky Run. Sanatorium alone isn't that bad, just a grinder, but add going up Rocky Run and it becomes a little more challenging.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i finally worked one of the more awful climbs into my ride this morning in the sourlands. being stuck where i am in central NJ its difficult to find solid elevation. so this morning i rode out to hillsborough and took my first go of zion. in the rain. that sucked in the suck that is awesome but sucky way.

i didn't expect the gravel on dutchtown-zion road either. that was a surprise. it was fun going down it though.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i finally worked one of the more awful climbs into my ride this morning in the sourlands. being stuck where i am in central NJ its difficult to find solid elevation. so this morning i rode out to hillsborough and took my first go of zion. in the rain. that sucked in the suck that is awesome but sucky way.

i didn't expect the gravel on dutchtown-zion road either. that was a surprise. it was fun going down it though.

please tell me it was SS so I can emotionally feel excited, yes I am a polished turd!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
please tell me it was SS so I can emotionally feel excited, yes I am a polished turd!

It was an SS! 42x16 - and no walking. I was riding at a walking pace at times, but no dismount. I accidentally unclipped right when the grade started to really get bad, so that sucked. All momentum was wasted trying to clip back in.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It was an SS! 42x16 - and no walking. I was riding at a walking pace at times, but no dismount. I accidentally unclipped right when the grade started to really get bad, so that sucked. All momentum was wasted trying to clip back in.

Sourlands is good for ss because there aren't many steep sections. Even so, great job with Zion.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I can't tell you how many times this has happen, when you unclip in steep it is almost game over. Overall I almost wish I had put slidders on my new ride because SS is awesome anywhere...

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Zion road should not be discussed is this thread. :p

Top Bottom