The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

The Kalmyk

This looks good, but I would like to get this elevation in about 60 miles or so. I have about a month and two weeks until 10,000 feet in 35 miles.

Ouch!! 286 feet per mile😳

Its hard to put together a ride that is half that around here.

goodvibe

Thank you all for your assistance in trying to find the best spots to train. I did Haleakala on Friday and it was a bear. I was doing good until I got up to about 8000 feet. I started having some issues with the elevation, but I pushed through and made it to the top. The only thing I was lacking in training for this is not being able to ride at elevation. This was beautiful scenery and the view from the top was amazing. Also, the 75-minute downhill was quite exciting and challenging as well.

E29B6BBC-F30E-4B33-80AE-F32249216162.jpeg
63DE4B46-EEAA-4CCF-86AE-029C304780C8_1_201_a.jpeg

Bikeworks

Thank you all for your assistance in trying to find the best spots to train. I did Haleakala on Friday and it was a bear. I was doing good until I got up to about 8000 feet. I started having some issues with the elevation, but I pushed through and made it to the top. The only thing I was lacking in training for this is not being able to ride at elevation. This was beautiful scenery and the view from the top was amazing. Also, the 75-minute downhill was quite exciting and challenging as well.

View attachment 187498View attachment 187499
Amazing accomplishment!!!! Good stuff.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

holy shit balls

serviceguy

Amazing accomplishment!!!! Good stuff.
holy shit balls
All of the above but where's the pictures of the amazing scenery? Get back up there and take a few!

goodvibe

You can use this to train next time. Garrett County Gran Fondo Diabolical Double in western Md. https://strava.app.link/I5rroFQYdrb View attachment 187650
That one is pretty crazy. The biggest challenge was that there was no downhill to take a rest. Just 6 hours of climbing with no relief. Though, it was pretty much between 4-8% most of the way. Also, the elevation was a killer. 18000 feet is crazy over that much distance is crazy.

At this point, I am looking forward to some flat rides after all the climbing of the last couple months.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
That one is pretty crazy. The biggest challenge was that there was no downhill to take a rest. Just 6 hours of climbing with no relief. Though, it was pretty much between 4-8% most of the way. Also, the elevation was a killer. 18000 feet is crazy over that much distance is crazy.

At this point, I am looking forward to some flat rides after all the climbing of the last couple months.
I’m not in shape like previous years. It wasn’t so bad at z2 pace with well stocked aid stations. Longest climb I have done is the death climb (2400’) at the shen 100.

Top Bottom