The Thrilla in the Hilla ...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
This afternoon I rode the 6 mile race loop at Walnut Mt. in Liberty, NY where tomorrow is round #4 of the New York MTB Series. After the start riders will head into a 1/2 mile section of flowing single track. Once past the registration area I came upon the first of 3 major climbs :drooling:, they are long, steep double track and for me they seemed to go on forever. The last climb was the hardest with a grade of over 10% near the top, each climb is over 1/4 mile long. Once at the top of Walnut Mt., there were a numerous sections of technical single track and plenty of fast downhills that were already covered with leaves which leads to big gear open grass fields that wind around the base of the mountain and loops back past the start/finish line. Tomorrow will be a very tough race since I climb like a turtle with one bad leg, thank god its only 18 miles :mad2:

RC ... :)

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Good Luck :getsome:

Thanks Eileen, the women sport group is usually on the light side, Pokgirl (Heidi) is in the 35+ class and she is super fast and a really strong climber too. I wonder if she would notice if I tied a rope on her bike at the start? :D

Have fun tomorrow at Chimeny Rock,

Pokgirl

Spork
I wonder if she would notice if I tied a rope on her bike at the start? :D

You're right! I didn't notice! :)

Super fun ride - some nice long extended climbs. Had to relax and get out of mtn biking short power climb mode into "steady as she goes" mode. Took a bit for the legs to cooperate. Nothing too techy in the singletrack - just what the doctor ordered with my hand! And then some great fast, fun downhill payback. Then... up again... and again... That last piece of singletrack that was slighty uphill and technical was a little cruel on the 3rd lap, but hey... What a beautiful day!

Any NYers reading this? Make sure you come out next Sunday for the finale at Riedlbauer's! We definitely want to support local races so they will continue!!

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
You're right! I didn't notice! :)

Super fun ride - some nice long extended climbs. Had to relax and get out of mtn biking short power climb mode into "steady as she goes" mode. Took a bit for the legs to cooperate. Nothing too techy in the singletrack - just what the doctor ordered with my hand! And then some great fast, fun downhill payback. Then... up again... and again... That last piece of singletrack that was slighty uphill and technical was a little cruel on the 3rd lap, but hey... What a beautiful day!

Any NYers reading this? Make sure you come out next Sunday for the finale at Riedlbauer's! We definitely want to support local races so they will continue!!

The climbs were easy if your a rabbit! What a race, the first climb was just under 3/4 of a mile :drooling: I was pacing with Heidi up the climb she was in 2nd and I 3rd until I said to her ... Hey, first is getting away! thats the last time I saw Heidi till the end of the race. The second climb was a bit shorter but the top had a grade of over 15%. I had made a race report on Saturday saying that the entire course was covered with leaves, which for me is like running in the dark, let alone racing, it's dangerous. One of the race promotors cleared all the leaves on the six mile course ... wow. In my opinon Walnut Mt. is the best park in NY State. The one gripe I do have is they do not give out the awards till the very end of the day, which means if you do a 10 am race you have to wait till 4pm or later to recieve your awards, even if its a water bottle :hmmm:

Top Bottom