The Three Most Important Mountain Bikes

I am biased toward pro-flex / K2, hence the still functioning K2 4000 and 6 more frames in my garage (both K2 4000 / 5000 and Pro-Flex 857/957) and VM plenty of carbon swingarm a and parallelogram forks. They haven’t been built yet because of the shocks needing being rebuilt and some repairs being needed.
View attachment 141134

I shouldn't like ProFlex but there was something about them. Maybe it was there OffRoad Bikes name or that they were based out of the north east but I always dug them although I could never ride one. I saw a lot around.

I really appreciate the design of the Girvin fork these days. Looking at it could be an interesting exercise to use them to add a 27.5" wheel and slacker head angle on an old 26" frame. I have an old Rhygin hardtail that I keep thinking of converting to 27.5 front end. It wouldn't be hard to garage make this type of fork for it and there is a bunch of adjust ability.

Agree - definitely an important bike for it's time.

I shouldn't like ProFlex but there was something about them. Maybe it was there OffRoad Bikes name or that they were based out of the north east but I always dug them although I could never ride one. I saw a lot around.

I really appreciate the design of the Girvin fork these days. Looking at it could be an interesting exercise to use them to add a 27.5" wheel and slacker head angle on an old 26" frame. I have an old Rhygin hardtail that I keep thinking of converting to 27.5 front end. It wouldn't be hard to garage make this type of fork for it and there is a bunch of adjust ability.

Agree - definitely an important bike for it's time.
Lots of clearance on the fork for wider tires too. The swingarm, not so much. I need to make a disk brake adapter though, v-brake don’t cut it for me anymore.

Reactions: don
I just meant bmx to mtb In general as an evolution - I don’t recall trek as a bmx brand . Bmx = redline . Gt, Diamondback,
Thruster , Kuwahara, Mongoose in my mind @ least!
I agree - early BMX certainly = RedLine, GT, Diamond Back, Thruster (NJ!), Kuwahara and Mongoose.

But what was Trek's "impact on the transition from BMX to MTB"

Lots of clearance on the fork for wider tires too. The swingarm, not so much. I need to make a disk brake adapter though, v-brake don’t cut it for me anymore.

Yes, exactly. That is one of the issue with the Rhygin and lack of tire width clearance.

I would need to ace the canti-mounts on the Rhygin too. I was thinking welding in some sliding disc drop outs ala Paragon. Or more correctly getting my buddy to help me with it ;)

I am biased toward pro-flex / K2, hence the still functioning K2 4000 and 6 more frames in my garage (both K2 4000 / 5000 and Pro-Flex 857/957) and VM plenty of carbon swingarm a and parallelogram forks. They haven’t been built yet because of the shocks needing being rebuilt and some repairs being needed.
View attachment 141134
It so happens that I have a K2 4000 in my collection; the electronic damping still works.

I had a couple Turner's mid 2000's and the MTBR/Turner board was a great read with Dave posting up time to time.

Great points on the C-Dale and Trek carbon. They both brought new materials to MTN biking that are standards today. I remember seeing an early OCLV and thinking I would never ride a "plastic" bike!

I remember telling @SmooveP (at some race in North Jersey, I think) that I thought it was crazy to make a frame out of carbon fiber. "One big rock and it's broken." I just realized that my 1000 gram S-WORKS HT frame is nearly 10 years old...

I remember telling @SmooveP (at some race in North Jersey, I think) that I thought it was crazy to make a frame out of carbon fiber. "One big rock and it's broken." I just realized that my 1000 gram S-WORKS HT frame is nearly 10 years old...
Lol, that was probably in the 90s and we were both on Merlins. Mine is still going strong. It's a single speed now and I gave it to Kathy. A carbon frame from that era probably WOULD break.

I agree - early BMX certainly = RedLine, GT, Diamond Back, Thruster (NJ!), Kuwahara and Mongoose.

But what was Trek's "impact on the transition from BMX to MTB"
I remember this being the big upgrade to my redline mx ii - it was either pro or tuff neck.
Just a general comment that somewhere bmx died and mtb’ing became a “ thing “ .

Attachments

• 896590AE-F82A-4BD6-BA9B-5F4A0C1ECE4E.jpeg
    896590AE-F82A-4BD6-BA9B-5F4A0C1ECE4E.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 69
I remember this being the big upgrade to my redline mx ii - it was either pro or tuff neck.
Just a general comment that somewhere bmx died and mtb’ing became a “ thing “ .
ProNeck and TufNeck's were certainly nice! First decent stem I had was an ACS as they were a little cheaper. Then I ran dk from there on out.

Back
Top Bottom