The Social Distancing in Isolation Contest & Never-ending Peter Pan Positivity Parlay

pygmypony

Tell Mrs. P. you'll have her 50th celebration in tandem with the world reopening. Superbash!

I think tomorrow morning I'm gonna hit Edith for dawn patrol. Been meaning to for awhile, methinks no time like the present.
thanks! edith was still very sloppy today, but with the sunshine and some wind today, things should be much better this afternoon / tomorrow...though a chance of some more rain tomorrow AM as well, so keep your eyes on that. regardless, i will be out and about tomorrow AM too (either on the tracks or in the woods) so hopefully i'll see you out there!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
3/26
Got the delivery of my Garmin speed sensor yesterday so I thought an unscientific test was in order.
Wheel size set to 2182 on both the Garmin and CooSpo speed sensors. First run was with the Garmin sensor and Strava running at the same time. The second run was done with the CooSpo sensor.

1. Strava : 1.07 miles
2. Garmin speed sensor 1.06 miles
3. CooSpo speed sensor : 1.03 miles

Below is from GC
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 11.14.40 AM.png

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
3/26
Got the delivery of my Garmin speed sensor yesterday so I thought an unscientific test was in order.
Wheel size set to 2182 on both the Garmin and CooSpo speed sensors. First run was with the Garmin sensor and Strava running at the same time. The second run was done with the CooSpo sensor.

1. Strava : 1.07 miles
2. Garmin speed sensor 1.06 miles
3. CooSpo speed sensor : 1.03 miles

so 2-3 differed by 150'
or about 15 rotations of the wheel

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you need a longer test than 1 mile, also if its on roads gps signal is fairly strong and not an issue, the discrepancies seem to materialize when on tightly twisting trails (or in a city environment with weak GPS)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
you need a longer test than 1 mile, also if its on roads gps signal is fairly strong and not an issue, the discrepancies seem to materialize when on tightly twisting trails (or in a city environment with weak GPS)
How many miles?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would say thats dependent on the course. . . go for a 10 mile ride and see what the differences are

or go do the same 1 mile ride with each sensor multiple times. As noted above the difference manifest more in tight twisty stuff than in straight line roads (i dont even have wheel sensors on my road bikes, bc cheap)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
or when it rains, heavy cloud cover or canopy. I have sensors on both my road bikes but don't care on the mtb.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Paul H where did you get that 2182 from? did you measure it yourself or is it garmins auto calc?

the way garmin auto calc works is that it counts the revs for the first x miles (not sure what x is, may just be first ride) and uses the gps distance vs revs to calculate the wheel size (circumference)

if you really care about accuracy you need to go with a tape measure (you could get real anal and use more precise measurement devices, but thats up to you) and roll out the wheel for a full revolution, more accurate if you are sitting on the bike during the roll out . . . . . ?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@Paul H where did you get that 2182 from? did you measure it yourself or is it garmins auto calc?

the way garmin auto calc works is that it counts the revs for the first x miles (not sure what x is, may just be first ride) and uses the gps distance vs revs to calculate the wheel size (circumference)

if you really care about accuracy you need to go with a tape measure (you could get real anal and use more precise measurement devices, but thats up to you) and roll out the wheel for a full revolution, more accurate if you are sitting on the bike during the roll out . . . . . ?
Got it from a Wahoo site. Said it was for 27.5x2.25
I'm only doing this to get a pt from @stb222 :p

rick81721

Lothar
3/26

https://strava.app.link/MM2Dml8Ma5

Maybe this doesn't qualify as it wasn't a solo ride but we kept some distance for the most part. So Bob got his new bike - Trek domaine project one. Paint job looks great:

IMG_20200326_083957_500.jpg

Some northwest wind so we headed that direction for about 20 miles, then back south along Casey Key. No one on the beach (parking lot had a big concrete barricade) and all the little motels and restaurants deserted. Kind of eerie but there are cyclists everywhere. Still seeing some larger groups riding too close together tho. And traffic is down to mid-summer status, so easy to get across major roads.

And forgot to add, first ride on my bike with the gatorskins - wow what a difference. I am kicking myself for riding that bike for 3 months with those 23mm tires @ 105 psi. 25 gators @ 90 psi feels like the bike has a suspension - it's like night and day.

Last edited:

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MissJR
I've tried walking my cat but they don't move. Is it something to work up to?
yeah it takes a bit of patience and training.

first i just put the harness on him in the apartment to see his reaction. he seemed ok with it. putting it on was a bit of a pain tho. keep it on him for a little longer each time. reward with treats.
then i added the leash while in the apartment. again, for varying times. and more treats.
then took him out into the hallway (shared hallway with 5 other units). more treats.
then little by little, further out into the hallway and down the stairs.
when i thought he was ok. i picked him up and brought him to a safe place outside. he'd get more curious and confident each time.
eventually everything came together and he learned where the stairs led to (front vs back) and where things were in the lot... and how to whine at the door (like a dog) to go outside.

ETA: the cat we had previously would never have done this. so it's totally dependent on the cat's personality

Top Bottom