The Social Distancing in Isolation Contest & Never-ending Peter Pan Positivity Parlay

The Kalmyk

Round valley today. I forgot how little fun this place is - especially when it's this hot and humid. Water level still down in the reservoir

View attachment 130877

On top the ridge

View attachment 130878

enough of that place for awhile - see you again RV in 2025!

Brett posted on a thread about the hardest park or something along those lines- this was awhile ago. He mentioned all the big parks up north and proceeded to say.... "and I go to Round Valley every three or four years to keep it real". LOL

The Kalmyk

From todays ride. Snake action.

B341096A-E325-4C7F-8723-E7DFBE9C96F6.jpeg

Post ride refresher

CD2668FB-3642-4E45-9E8B-BBAC89B69306.jpeg

rick81721

Lothar
Brett posted on a thread about the hardest park or something along those lines- this was awhile ago. He mentioned all the big parks up north and proceeded to say.... "and I go to Round Valley every three or four years to keep it real". LOL

That sounds about right!

Kaleidopete

I actually did have to social distance today.
First I met up with a hiker on the AT and said to him "don't be mad at me for being on this trail with my bike",
"I'm just maintaining this section trimming brush off the trail". He was fine with that.
Then I met two other hikers heading towards the AT, I told them where to see the Lady Slippers (flowers). They were very grateful.
Next I came upon two hikers with a dog off leash on Iron Mt. trail. I rang my bell, they made the dog sit, I rode by and thanked them,
they said you're very welcome.

Nice flowers on trail
Dsc04518.jpg

a bird at the dam catching things as they float by
Dsc04520.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Sorry, been AWOL. Not 100% what you're looking for, but if you want an adventure, go down Pirozzi Ln. Last driveway on the left, turn right into the brush. You can ride that across to Montgomery, cross Montgomery to N Hill and finally to Montgomery. I thought I was going to get shot at N Hill my first time there; homeowners there feel like isolationists/nationalists. Follow the pipeline out to fields, turn left at the start of the fields, cut down the first split in the fields and you'll make it to the road (muddy AF here, expect to sink). Go left up Lindbergh to Ridge Road, jump in the Sourland Mountain Reserve, hook up that with a bushwack to Hunterdon County Sourlands (all rideable, follow the side of the stream beds) cross Rileyville, and you can find deer trails and get to Amwell Lake WMA. That's where I have stopped - so close to Water Co. Be prepared with tools, water and tubes. It's a long ride physically and mentally. I'll connect it to Lambertville. Just need a little more time to explore. My advice - if you think you see a trail, take it. That's as good as it gets in some spots.

Give it a shot. Stay outta sight and low key. I'm not sure who owns what land parcels. Don't Strava it please!

Hey check this out on google maps. Off Wertzville @
40°27'53.5"N 74°46'40.2"W

there appears to be a dirt road that goes up the mountain to an old abandoned house (?), then there's some trails around. Further up there's a pond, with what looks like some more trails around it. A little further gets me to the pipeline clearing and then I can get to the sourland preserve trails via the back way. Think I'll get shot going up that road?? Might try it tomorrow.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hey check this out on google maps. Off Wertzville @
40°27'53.5"N 74°46'40.2"W

there appears to be a dirt road that goes up the mountain to an old abandoned house (?), then there's some trails around. Further up there's a pond, with what looks like some more trails around it. A little further gets me to the pipeline clearing and then I can get to the sourland preserve trails via the back way. Think I'll get shot going up that road?? Might try it tomorrow.

check out that pond up there while you’re at it!

rick81721

Lothar
Nassau trails - I forgot how much fun this place is - the exact opposite of round valley. Anywho, will be my go-to place this summer, only saw 3 guys on bikes and one hiker. And kudos on the new trails on the other side - liked the flamingos - they said to me "geezers from Florida don't try these jumps". And I didn't - getting more risk averse as I get older. I like staying in contact with terra firma

IMG_20200608_114211_245.jpg

iman29

Catching up from yesterday.

Yesterday was one of those days where the whole plan comes together.
  • Approval at home for a long morning ride (most important thing!)
  • Nearly perfect riding weather (little breezy)
  • Decent nights sleep
  • Feeling great (legs recovered from a few days of training drills).
  • Meet up with a friend for some semi social distancing riding
Set out about 7:15 to head up and meet a friend at 8:30 even with a slight cool breeze the temps were perfect compared to Saturday's humidity. Arrived earlier than planned so circled around for 15 minutes and finished about 16 miles nice easy pace. we then headed up north thru Rossville, Andover and Allamuchy into Great Meadows and back through Hackettstown and stanhope. We saw a lot of non road riders on MTBs and some of them didnt even heave helmets on- oh well.

We did 40 miles together and then I hammered it back home feeling strong for a round trip of 70 miles. I took a ton of pics but these are the highlights. At one point we passed the trailhead at Waterloo and Continental for Allamuchy/Sussex Branch Trail and it was complete mayhem cars parked everywhere.

Got home to a surprise from the wife, I came home to a bacon egg cheese sandwich sitting sitting under the heat lamp! no pics cause I ate it faster then you can say bagel.

1591637233893.png

1591637286486.png

1591637900164.png

1591637930665.png

AE23E30A-449D-47FA-A308-787CA3DCD1A8.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Round valley today. I forgot how little fun this place is - especially when it's this hot and humid. Water level still down in the reservoir

View attachment 130877

On top the ridge

View attachment 130878

enough of that place for awhile - see you again RV in 2025!

that may have been the worst track i've ever seen.
giant, annoying climb with HAB, campground road, climb, quick dh, climb, then the tough side hill & tech (which i find fun and challenging)
proper return to lot.

i need to put together a video primer.

rick81721

Lothar
that may have been the worst track i've ever seen.
giant, annoying climb with HAB, campground road, climb, quick dh, climb, then the tough side hill & tech (which i find fun and challenging)
proper return to lot.

i need to put together a video primer.

ha I haven't been there in at least 2 years

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I can work for free changing tires. Maybe that will shave a couple of hours. :p

I have about 50 bikes with flats. Just going through them till we run out of tubes. At that point hopefully I can convince people to wait till we get more tubes because I will be out of space to store bikes.

To stay positive in this thread, I did find a supplier with a couple of hundred tubes last night. :thumbsup:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have about 50 bikes with flats. Just going through them till we run out of tubes. At that point hopefully I can convince people to wait till we get more tubes because I will be out of space to store bikes.

To stay positive in this thread, I did find a supplier with a couple of hundred tubes last night. :thumbsup:

I have a bulk bottle of rubber cement and a bunch of patches!
Spence can run a clinic outside the shop.

Top Bottom