Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

THATmanMANNY

I maybe had 1 glass of alcohol for the past two months. I can't call myself SOBER. What is the right term? Excercised or shoveled 50+ consecutive days.

When there is something to celebrate there is something to celebrate. Tonight we are celebrating my son's 2nd Cancerversary! I bought some non alcoholic beers 0.5% for the 20 ppl party to blind taste test!

qclabrat

Haven't read the entire thread, but curious what was the breaking point for you? I've many times swore off alcohol even before legal drinking age, from getting my stomach pumped at 15 to considering jumping off the Brendan Bryne arena roof at a U2 concert at 17. To this day, I'm not sure how I didn't get a dwi when I totaled my CRX running into a van on Rt22 at 4am.

For the past 30 years, I've been a big binge drinker. I could go a week or two without drinking then I'll polish off a gallon of something hard in a week. Quit for a few weeks then repeat again. In 2019, some personal issues had me drinking more regularly and then the pandemic even "validated" that it was "okay" to be an alcoholic. The spouse and I were both in this funk and usually hid our daily routines, though neither of us were willing to call each one out.

In late 2022, MrsQ gave it up cold turkey, and I'm really proud of her. When I'm around her, I don't drink. But when she's away for a period of time, I'll binge. The first drink is always so damn good, then there's a second and others till I pass out. But for the past 6 months, I've only binged 2-3 times, so it's progress. Though I can't have an open bottle in the house. Hoping the gaps get larger, but know I'll never stop at just one. Work in progress-

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For the past 30 years, I've been a big binge drinker. I could go a week or two without drinking then I'll polish off a gallon of something hard in a week.
I'm kind of the total opposite. I wasn't really drinking to get drunk. I drank around the clock for so long that the withdrawals were unmanageable if I stopped. One little hair of the dog to make the hangover go away turns into an endless cycle where I know if I go 6 hours without a drink I will be trembling too bad to function. The only way to hide my alcohol use was to keep drinking. No way in hell I could type on a keyboard or do any aspect of my job while withdrawing. I actually had to plan out my day strategically to make sure I could "medicate" before the tremors get noticeable. I would not wish acute chemical withdrawal on my worst enemy. It is the definition of hell.

With that... Today is 38 days

Top Bottom