The Round Up at Round Valley - 11/24

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MTBNJ Unofficial Offseason Training Series Event #1

* Date: 11/24, the Saturday after Thanksgiving

* Time: 9:00 am leave the parking lot

* Place: Round Valley south lot. Enter main gate, through the booth, take your first right, lot on the right

* Warmup: About 30-ish minutes as a group ride along the Cushetunk trail. Down the switchbacks then up most of the climb. At the sign we'll drop into the fire road and take that to the race start area

* Classes: As of now a single class, with the possibility of having a beginner race if 3 beginners show and want to race

* Primary Event: A short loop race, say 4-5 loops of the ST from the phone to the trail closed sign, then back on the fire road. Winner gets 10 points on down to at least 1 point for all competitors. Anyone lapped gets pulled. Figure this event should be an hour and change.

* Bonus Event: 3 hill climbs. 1 point bonus for cleaning the climb from the trail closed sign. 1 point bonus for cleaning the climb from the end of the fire road up to the intersection and to the top of "Puke Hill". The last 3 bonus points for "the wall" on the Cushetunk side. Max 3 attempts, top 3 climbs get points (3-2-1).

* Numbers: Min 5 riders. If we get fewer then 5, all riders get 10 points and we'll do a group ride. No maximum number. If we get more than 15 we'll split into 2 groups and the beginner group will do a different loop.

* Volunteers: Following Sean's lead, volunteers get 2 points per hour out there. Expected total time out there in the 3 hour realm. Probably not a whole lot of need for volunteers but whatever, free points is free points. Also, if you don't want to race but want to see the park, we'll end up riding much of it.

* Fees: Determined day of event. Bring some singles and if everyone agrees we'll throw into a hat, take out a few bucks for volunteer coffees, and winner takes the rest home.

* Time: Expected to go until say 12-1:00 or so.

* Super Bonus: 10 point bonus if you can get Brian Sipler to show.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
i will certainly be lapped but if there is a beginner group i will try to pull some MBUs.

N

Neen

Jeez, I want to do this just to see if anyone can pull off the super bonus :rofl:

Mike679

Would love to get to this one to see someone clean the climb up from the Cushetunk Preserve, if nothing else, but my wife will be out of town and I will be rich with children that morning.

Great idea, nonetheless. Getting tired of my solo rides over the past few months, so you may see my sorry, anti-social ass show up at one of these events one of these days.

Mike

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do it! Do it! Do it!!!! Both of you!!!!!

Bring the kids! The dogs! The beeee....ah, brie. The brie. Yeah, it's gonna be a brie party.

rocknrollgirl

I don't think I will be up to a race by then, but I might come up for the ride and to see the lunacy...I will have to see what the Holiday w/e brings....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm in.

hey norm, perhaps we should limit volunteer points to one event per person. ie: you can volunteer at as many events as you like, but only get points for one of them. otherwise someone could theoretically win the series without actually having pedalled a bike at all....

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i'm in.

hey norm, perhaps we should limit volunteer points to one event per person. ie: you can volunteer at as many events as you like, but only get points for one of them. otherwise someone could theoretically win the series without actually having pedalled a bike at all....

No! the TM issue all over again :rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm in.

Good thought. I guess we could just say that you need to race more than you volunteer to win. Think that covers it?

Hey Zoller, you in or not?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Sat's are tough for me and it doesn't help that it is during the Thanksgiving holiday....put me in as a maybe.
+ I will be already -10 bonus points (I don't even know who is Brian Sipler):hmmm:

Last edited:

xc62701

MTBNJ Unofficial Offseason Training Series Event #1

* Date: 11/24, the Saturday after Thanksgiving

* Time: 9:00 am leave the parking lot

* Place: Round Valley south lot. Enter main gate, through the booth, take your first right, lot on the right

* Warmup: About 30-ish minutes as a group ride along the Cushetunk trail. Down the switchbacks then up most of the climb. At the sign we'll drop into the fire road and take that to the race start area

* Classes: As of now a single class, with the possibility of having a beginner race if 3 beginners show and want to race

* Primary Event: A short loop race, say 4-5 loops of the ST from the phone to the trail closed sign, then back on the fire road. Winner gets 10 points on down to at least 1 point for all competitors. Anyone lapped gets pulled. Figure this event should be an hour and change.

* Bonus Event: 3 hill climbs. 1 point bonus for cleaning the climb from the trail closed sign. 1 point bonus for cleaning the climb from the end of the fire road up to the intersection and to the top of "Puke Hill". The last 3 bonus points for "the wall" on the Cushetunk side. Max 3 attempts, top 3 climbs get points (3-2-1).

* Numbers: Min 5 riders. If we get fewer then 5, all riders get 10 points and we'll do a group ride. No maximum number. If we get more than 15 we'll split into 2 groups and the beginner group will do a different loop.

* Volunteers: Following Sean's lead, volunteers get 2 points per hour out there. Expected total time out there in the 3 hour realm. Probably not a whole lot of need for volunteers but whatever, free points is free points. Also, if you don't want to race but want to see the park, we'll end up riding much of it.

* Fees: Determined day of event. Bring some singles and if everyone agrees we'll throw into a hat, take out a few bucks for volunteer coffees, and winner takes the rest home.

* Time: Expected to go until say 12-1:00 or so.

* Super Bonus: 10 point bonus if you can get Brian Sipler to show.

Sounds interesting. I'm in.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome - I knew I could count on you Ryan!

I got a semi-verbal from Maurice though he's going to help organize and only participate in the hill climbs. I told him if we don't get enough people we can have a fox chase, and he's the fox :D

xc62701

Awesome - I knew I could count on you Ryan!

I got a semi-verbal from Maurice though he's going to help organize and only participate in the hill climbs. I told him if we don't get enough people we can have a fox chase, and he's the fox :D

Isn't the fun of the fox hunt being able to catch the fox? The fox isn't supposed to disappear around the first corner never to be seen again :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't the fun of the fox hunt being able to catch the fox? The fox isn't supposed to disappear around the first corner never to be seen again :D

True. Maybe I'll make him drink a 6 pack first?

rocknrollgirl

I am planning to come up just for the ride and spectating....I have been taking it easy, so my challenge will be just getting back to the start line! I will lend a hand if needed.

Ruth

Top Bottom