The Road to Somewhere

xc62701

One week til Denmark! I'm stoked. Well that and tomorrow is my last day of work for the summer! I can't wait! I've got some great trips and rides planned and the summer is going to fly by, but it should be a blast. I'm actually debating about doing something big this week riding wise but I don't know if the timing is right. I've been wanting to do some bikepacking, but my buddies are busy so I might just throw in a big one day adventure to get out there and just ride. I'm trying to figure it out. With traveling coming up and other events I'd like to do, there's not much time to try something dumb so I may just have to wing it. This week could be good as it's the first week of summer for me and I'll be away next week doing more dumb things, so why not?

This past week I got some good rides in. Some road, gravel, and dirt. Saturday I did a big Mooch ride. I was visiting the MTBNJam from afar and it seemed like there was a great turnout. I ran into the back of the morning advanced ride and there was a pretty big crew out there. I waved as I snuck by as the group was doing a Schilling rock pic. I only had time to get my ride in and get back so I missed out on the fun of the event, but if it happens next year I'd be down. I got 4 hours of mooch in. I planned on riding Mooch/Stephens, but with the Bonefrog adventure race BS going on Stephens was all screwed up so I figured I'd go mooch/DP. Then by the time I was on the 517 side, I wanted all mooch. I did a bunch of the Revenge course plus some other bonus miles in there. I was really just trying to climb a lot as I got close to 5k vert for the 26 miles I did. The weather was cool, and the bugs were minimal, so it was just an amazing day to be on the bike.

C7A97BC5-D414-4F3D-9943-01973E173184.png

For next week I'm mapping out some big rides in DK, so hopefully my rental gravel bike will be ready to explore and I'll take some shots as I travel all around the country. I'll have 4 days free to explore before the TDF starts. Then once it starts I'll be riding all over to check out there race. I'll be at the TT on day one in various spots. Day 2 I'm going to ride to the start. Ride the course a bit after the race starts, then B line over to the finish - which isn't much of a B line. I have to ride 70 miles in the time that they ride 125. I'm going to have to rip it to get to the finish. The for day 3 I'm going to see the start and the first cat 4 climb and then ride as far back to Copenhagen as I can. I'll be putting on close to 500 miles in the week I'll be there on the rental. I hope that thing is ready! Here's one of the rides I'm planning on hitting while over there. It's called the 4 ferries route - because you need 4 ferries. I did the one ferry while I visited last time so it'll be cool to continue riding around the fjord.

5AB6D06B-6C24-4B34-B6FC-A8B2FDA8C382.png

Last edited:

xc62701

I got up to Port Jervis to ride the watershed yesterday. Even after the xc and 12 hour race, I can't get sick of that place. I mapped out a route in my head and was actually able to figure it all out including the wrong turn I usually make when I'm up there. Turned out to be 2 hours of awesomeness. The pine needles up by the reservoir are so thick, it felt like riding through snow. It was just awesome from start to finish. I need to find another day to get up there and get some more of that rocky goodness in. It didn't hurta that afterwards I cruised over to Equilibrium to get some beer and some brisket. That was key!

Today, I'll be cruising over to Wildcat after work. It's graduation day at school, so I'll work, ride, then go back and congratulate all the seniors and wish them well tonight. Then it's officially summer break! Wohoo!

BF18B706-706B-476A-A171-0C1FF328BC33.png
59D3DCA2-FA23-46EA-8110-3A7A184EC24A.jpeg

xc62701

School's out! Thank god! I did get that Wildcat ride in, and I've been roaming all over. I've since been to Watnong to get in some dirt. I actually did a nice road ride with the wifey, and did some commuting to get some car work done finally. Summer time is nice, but that means it's time to get caught up on all of the chores I have been putting off for the last few weeks. I even got my gigantic mulch pile spread and the floor of my boat in. Yay! Best part is I'm on my way to Denmark later today. A week away to ride and check out the start of the Tour is coming up. I'll take lots of pics. See ya in a week!

xc62701

Dammit! I literally just passed Sagan and his teammates out riding by the airport. I made a u turn to try and catch them, but it was no use. My gravel bike and my tired legs couldn’t close the gap!

xc62701

I'll do some photo dumping later, but the TDF in Copenhagen was a blast. Completely crazy, but a blast. Logistically it was tough, but worth it. I put in 25+ hours on the bike for 375ish miles. I'd say I got my money out of the gravel bike I rented. My big day was last Tuesday, when I put in 160 miles along the coast. It was incredible. We saw lots of sights, and ate lots of great food, and had lots of great beer! We had fun for 7 days and we were supposed to be flying home today, but our airline went on strike. So now my wife and I are stuck for one more day before we can fly home. Finding flights back were a nightmare, and don't even ask about the cost. We just want to get back to our kids, and our life. Flights are so scarce that as we were searching them, they would be gone by the time we would try to get a confirmation. Luckily my wife and I both found one tomorrow, extended our hotel stay, and we will separately fly home. She goes through Amsterdam and I go through Paris. Both on our way back to JFK. Hopefully we will be back stateside tomorrow night to resume our normally scheduled lives. Happy 4th to all!

xc62701

I made it home! A day delayed, and my bank account a LOT lighter. I caught a flight home. My wife and I got reunited at JFK and made it home after picking up the kids last night at 11:30. That was one seriously long travel day. Time to try and get back into my routine. Riding to come later but Tour Stage 5 first.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I made it home! A day delayed, and my bank account a LOT lighter. I caught a flight home. My wife and I got reunited at JFK and made it home after picking up the kids last night at 11:30. That was one seriously long travel day. Time to try and get back into my routine. Riding to come later but Tour Stage 5 first.
fucking dust storm on the cobbles today....

xc62701

It's good to be back. I haven't been really motivated to get a lot done since getting back from Denmark. The time change is definitely messing with me a bit and each day I feel like I'm getting a little closer to being back in the right time zone. A 6 hour difference is a pain to readjust to. So I'm getting back to getting chores done, but also prep for the Wilderness coming up. I've got bike choices to make, and also I've got boat projects to get done. My bike choice was do I use my 25 lb full suspension or my 18 lb hardtail. That 7 pound difference could make a big difference going up the 11,000 feet of climbing in the event, but it could also make a big difference as I would not be able to go down nearly as fast, and punctured tires could effect things a lot too. I'm going to run a rear tire insert either way I go, but at the moment I'm leaning toward the full suspension as it should be more durable and dependable than the superlight hardtail. Last year I ran a 10:29 and I'm hoping to go 2 hours faster this year. It may be a big goal, but I've done that and faster before, and losing 40+ pounds for this attempt should make this a much better attempt in every manner.
Earlier in the year I did a MTB race down in Virginia on the hardtail and at a couple of points I was wishing for the full suspension. This will be about 60 miles longer than that event so that's got me leaning into the FS.

JDurk

It's good to be back. I haven't been really motivated to get a lot done since getting back from Denmark. The time change is definitely messing with me a bit and each day I feel like I'm getting a little closer to being back in the right time zone. A 6 hour difference is a pain to readjust to. So I'm getting back to getting chores done, but also prep for the Wilderness coming up. I've got bike choices to make, and also I've got boat projects to get done. My bike choice was do I use my 25 lb full suspension or my 18 lb hardtail. That 7 pound difference could make a big difference going up the 11,000 feet of climbing in the event, but it could also make a big difference as I would not be able to go down nearly as fast, and punctured tires could effect things a lot too. I'm going to run a rear tire insert either way I go, but at the moment I'm leaning toward the full suspension as it should be more durable and dependable than the superlight hardtail. Last year I ran a 10:29 and I'm hoping to go 2 hours faster this year. It may be a big goal, but I've done that and faster before, and losing 40+ pounds for this attempt should make this a much better attempt in every manner.
Earlier in the year I did a MTB race down in Virginia on the hardtail and at a couple of points I was wishing for the full suspension. This will be about 60 miles longer than that event so that's got me leaning into the FS.
For that part of PA, I don't see any reason to not go with the FS. At TSE this year riding my est. 30lb+ Trail 429v3 saved my body over the 5 days vs. using the 23lb Scalpel. #eastcoastrocks like to make superlight hardtails feel pain. FWIW, with my weightloss, I improved my TSE 5day time 2hr40m in '22 vs. '19.

xc62701

For that part of PA, I don't see any reason to not go with the FS. At TSE this year riding my est. 30lb+ Trail 429v3 saved my body over the 5 days vs. using the 23lb Scalpel. #eastcoastrocks like to make superlight hardtails feel pain. FWIW, with my weightloss, I improved my TSE 5day time 2hr40m in '22 vs. '19.
Yea I know the FS is probably the right call but I can’t help but think it could be done on the hardtail. I’m sure it could be done but what’s the cost…

xc62701

Blue mountain Chain Stretcher race today! I didn’t know how I would feel with a 25+ hour week last week, but I gave it a go. First lap was hot and battling back and forth through other category traffic. I tried to keep track but I settled in behind Steve Mancuso for what I thought was 4th/5th place. We were grooving through the singletrack on what was a really different course there. Fast, flowy, and just enough chunk to keep you on your toes.

Lap two was more of Steve and I although this time I took the lead in the singletrack. That is until I clipped a tree and got thrown onto a big rock. That immediately made both legs full on cramp and put me straight into hell. I jumped back on the bike and somehow go the legs to work. I worked my way back to Steve towards the start of the third lap but my energy was fading fast. 3 beers yesterday was probably not good for hydration - but they were delicious.

I finished in 3rd place! It turns out Steve and I were riding for 2/3 and when I crashed he went ahead and got past the 1st guy so he won. Crash aside, it was a pretty good(hard) day on the bike!

C5192F68-F5B0-426C-8530-18D8C395595C.jpeg

xc62701

1F8C887A-88EF-478D-8090-021148228E4B.png

It’s one more ride and then a week at the beach before I get to race Wilderness again. I’m feeling good and riding hard. I need a rest week which should be provided as I’ll be at Cape May this upcoming week. I just want to ride all day at the moment so I’ll have my chance coming up shortly. I can’t wait!

Last edited:
Top Bottom