The Road to Somewhere

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I've always been Drake's guy.

My one Little Debbie weakness are the Oatmeal Creme Pies. Especially as endurance race fuel.

xc62701

Sunday was a great 3 hour MTB ride. It's still amazing how many people are outside. After all this is over I hope people can appreciate getting their asses off the couch as much as they have during this apocalypse. I think the state order to shut down the parks might have told the people from other states to stay away but I feel like it has pulled more locals into the parks than ever before. Not good or bad, just an observation.

This morning I decided to try and beat the rain that still hasn't come. I got up early and broke out the cx bike with my gravel tires and headed over through Mendham and around Ravine Lake and back. I did hit a couple sections of trail which was nice on the bigger tires but man I needed them mostly for the roads around Mendham. They are destroyed. I think they are trying to let them brake up so they can get back to the dirt paths of the olden days... You'd think they would take care of the roads now while there is no one using them. Anyway I've been avoiding the roads since that's where I usually get smacked by cars but since I dinged up my ribs and split a toe open(punting my bed frame in the middle of the night-stupid I know) I figured it would be easier on the body. It was and it was good to get out there on the roads again!
9CA39C69-607B-49EF-9EAA-48CC91AD14D3.jpeg

109FFA69-8E09-4CB4-88DF-9848C8D0E23E.png

Last edited:

xc62701

Almost a month later an update! Things have been like Groundhog Day for the most part. Given the current situation I guess no excitement is a good thing. I’ve been riding a bunch and probably eating more, but sanity and managing stress is the main thing. I’ve been riding Stephens, Wildcat, and Mooch most regularly so I’m getting my daily helping of rocks.

I almost forgot - new bike! I picked up a new Specialized Diverge Expert with Di2 GRX and it’s pretty cool. A great versatile ride that makes my old gravel bike(Cx bike) obsolete. I thought there wouldn’t be much difference but it’s a huge difference and a blast to ride! With the current bike shortage it’s one of the few in N.J. until the end of June when they are available. That’s crazy. That means it’s a good time to sell my Stumpjumper and my other CX bike ?

Of course the home projects are the most tedious. I’ve been working on random projects but the wife wants our family room to have no wood trim and it’s all wood, so a medium undertaking is underway to paint everyrhing but it’s tedious work and I only can work on it an hour or two here or there. Between distance teaching, riding, and tending to the kids there isn’t much extra time. It will get done at some point.

As far as racing goes, I’m not doing anything, although the mohican 100 will still be held next weekend without me. As for our own races I’m trying to go ahead with the mtb races but we are going to pass on holding our CX race in September. Frankly if it’s even possible to put on, it’s too risky. It usually costs $7,000 to hold and the break even is a lot of racers. If races are even going on the calendar will be saturated with events and that could mean a big loss for us. We’d rather put our time and effort into events with less of a chance of losing money. We will try again with the CX race for 2021.

A87DAF9F-9402-4D7A-813E-B2D97765E260.jpeg
116D0B7D-E1EF-4BFC-A4F5-CE64CC205279.jpeg
F1C57D5B-1DBA-426B-B571-B0D9BF419769.jpeg
C8D7D972-7E6F-4970-BB32-47AB8DD0F480.jpeg
7B75FB44-4A94-4E03-9C42-3867FF283326.png
CFA2FF27-FE39-4C26-8B5A-721E5C51EDF2.jpeg
9E132E82-76F4-46F5-B0B8-0424DED07412.jpeg
E313BF00-B785-4B4F-973E-25B18B8B8B40.jpeg

xc62701

Keeping with the every month update, I'm back! School has ended for the year - YAY! It's been an interesting challenge to say the least. I'm glad it's over and I'll get time to reset and figure out what we're actually going back to when the time comes. Working from home has made things better as far as riding as I'll sneak out in the morning before signing on to work. Or I can ride immediately after since there's no travel time. That's the nice part. Ok, enough with work talk.

I've been averaging 12 hours a week and just trying to get out. No structure, no plan, just go ride. I've been doing a good mix of dirt/gravel/road but definitely leaning heavier to the dirt side. I've been hitting my rounds of my usual parks and it's been great. Wildcat, Stephens, Mooch, Deer Park, and Dickerson Mine have been the normal rides. I did branch out earlier this week and get to Mahlon. That was a nice return. Waway is on the short list next. Since there's been no racing I've been trying to increase my ride time and stretch the legs a bit.

Tomorrow actually is the Stoopid 50 down in Virginia. I'm still not comfortable being in a mass of people so I bailed. They have some good measures for mitigation but it's still a stretch. So I used it to my advantage. I discussed it with the wife and she said why don't you just do a big ride from home. EXACTLY what I was thinking! Last year I did the Stoopid in 6:30ish so that was my goal. I had designed a sweet 4 park loop with Mooch/DP/Stephens/KVSP and this looked to hit the spot or be a bit longer. I headed out at 7:30 this morning hoping I could get at least 4 hours in and hope for the best. I had two teammates join me early that helped pass the time but by 4+ they were done. They took the bailout option and left me to keep pedaling as I was still feeling ok. By 5 hours in I had already been through most of Mooch and KVSP. I headed over to DP and not just pass through, but do the tough stuff. I hit the two steep climbs in the park and of course the Rogue trail. That put me back at the car at 6:30 rolling for a pitstop, and surprisingly enough I wanted to keep going. @Santa joined me for what I thought would be a crawling loop of the park but surprisingly enough I still had some juice. We did a great 2 hour loop of the park and I wrapped it up. 60 miles in 8:40 with 6600' of climbing. It wasn't a race by far but it was just good to keep pushing and see what the legs had. Given that I still have some extra tonnage thanks to the pandemic, I'm happy to pull off a ride like this. Especially considering my last week of riding hasn't been easy. To top it off I forgot it was on the longest day! What a perfect ride for the longest day!

0CA39F68-E01F-494D-B535-4B13B703FB87.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
f-yeah.

I'll have a beer for you a couple wednesdays from now at wildcat.
well deserved.

xc62701

An update: why not?

Today I had the opportunity to go for a big ride and I've had my sights on riding to Port Jervis. I had a couple of buddies to go with me but of course they bailed. So I said f it. I'd head out and try to go as far as I wanted. Conditions were cold and icy. The first part was mostly frozen, but then lots of ice/water/slop. I was hoping I could get far enough north so that I could get out of Dodge before it started to melt out. For the most part everything was avoidable but there were a few treacherous spots for sure. One section was a complete swamp. I knew on the way back it wouldn't be any better. I just wanted to get over the last ridge where I could drop down and ride by the Delaware. I did. Little did I know it was not in sight of the Delaware and it was loosely called pavement. It was more of a gravel potholed road. It just pitched and rolled for 15 miles up to Port Jervis. While not challenging climbing wise, it was not very comfortable on the fatbike. I was happy to roll into Port Jervis and see that the Fox and Hare pub was open and it was quiet, so I stopped in for a beer and a burger. It was great to refuel and head back on the road. I haven't been training(mostly eating) so I'm way overweight and this ride was a little overreaching but what the hell. I knew I was in trouble at mile 60 or so before the big climb from the Delaware came up and I was crawling. I wanted to get over the top by Culver's Lake(206) in the daylight to avoid being roadkill. I somehow survived that and got back go the slop on the sussex branch and finished it up under headlight. It was good to get it done but it was an effort. It wasn't the climbing, but the cold and slop that took the life out of me. Well not doing a lot of long rides didn't help either. It was fun to get it done, but it's time for relaxing.

Strava Link
C31E5371-5EF2-4CA0-AD2F-ABB19F44B8C0.jpeg

3BFCCEFE-83EB-433A-A519-E0981089A85C.jpeg
7E027ECA-8E96-4266-B96B-741793A7154C.jpeg

Last edited:

xc62701

If you’ve seen the Dry January thread I’m gonna give this a go to help break some habits: mostly being lazy, and eating and drinking too much. I still rode a good deal it’s just outside of that there’s not much, and throw in some bad consumption decisions and I just don’t feel that great. The family time is great but it’s also super stressful so that doesn’t help. My back has been bothering me and I feel like the extra pandemic weight doesn’t help that at all. So here we go again. I didn’t have a reason to really focus on anything last year, maybe I can fool myself into thinking there may be some events to do this year safely.

With no racing I have been enjoying just riding. That’s has been awesome. I stick with my small circle of riding buddies and that’s gets me by. I do have a registration for the Mohican 100 this year as it was transferred over from last year so there’s that to look forward to. I’m still not sure I want to participate in it since they pretty much told the town that they would hold it regardless of covid concerns but it’s also my favorite mtb race ever if they actually get it back to the trails so we will have to see when it gets closer.

I got out in the rain/sleet today and wanted to just get some pedaling in. I’m still sore and beat from the ride last weekend but I’m sure my new habits have my body in a bit of shock too. Here’s a nice pic from today’s ride:

9927C06E-AE50-4704-8B35-0C22D84F5579.jpeg

Last edited:

xc62701

So far so good on the breaking bad habits deal. No alcohol, soda, or fast food. I haven't given up the sweets yet so that's next. I figure one thing at a time. Next week I'll try to cut down on the sugary snacks but first I'll have to dispose of the treats. Next after that is to reduce dairy. Specifically milk/cheese. I will typically snack on cheese fairly often and when I was cutting weight back in the day it really helped. The worst part is its all about will power. I know exactly what I need to do. The problem is can I do it. It was so much simpler back in the day before a wife and kids. I set my routine and I was locked in. Well that's when I could ride 3 hours a day too....but anyway. Life tends to throw too many curve balls so it's easy to get off track.

As for riding I'm hoping to get some decent rides in this week. I've got the bike loaded up on the car today so it's off to Wildcat I go after work. I haven't been in a little while as riding from home or hitting Stephens early morning has been the go to. I figure I'll do that today, probably some road tomorrow, and maybe a night ride on Friday. Weekends have been riding one morning and riding one afternoon. So I usually hit Stephens for the morning ride and then do something from home for the afternoon ride. I still need to figure out a day to commute to work. I've been wanting to as I usually do a few times a year but I need to plan it out to not have to schlep my stuff into work and also the weather needs to cooperate. I've wanted to a few times but it's been rainy/snowy in the morning so that's a deal breaker. I don't mind it cold, but not stupid cold. I'll have to see if the stars align soon.

Along with family time getting crazy I figured I'd learn a few things in between chasing the kids around, so I started trying out some cooking/baking recipes. Why not...pandemic.
656521E7-B1A3-4E5D-B55F-550D15BCAB73.jpeg
B921C550-9B7A-4670-BEE8-D5CAB5A90D1C.jpeg
02C9C3F2-2721-4AE0-B33B-969233E442E4.jpeg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So far so good on the breaking bad habits deal. No alcohol, soda, or fast food. I haven't given up the sweets yet so that's next. I figure one thing at a time. Next week I'll try to cut down on the sugary snacks but first I'll have to dispose of the treats. Next after that is to reduce dairy. Specifically milk/cheese. I will typically snack on cheese fairly often and when I was cutting weight back in the day it really helped. The worst part is its all about will power. I know exactly what I need to do. The problem is can I do it. It was so much simpler back in the day before a wife and kids. I set my routine and I was locked in. Well that's when I could ride 3 hours a day too....but anyway. Life tends to throw too many curve balls so it's easy to get off track.

As for riding I'm hoping to get some decent rides in this week. I've got the bike loaded up on the car today so it's off to Wildcat I go after work. I haven't been in a little while as riding from home or hitting Stephens early morning has been the go to. I figure I'll do that today, probably some road tomorrow, and maybe a night ride on Friday. Weekends have been riding one morning and riding one afternoon. So I usually hit Stephens for the morning ride and then do something from home for the afternoon ride. I still need to figure out a day to commute to work. I've been wanting to as I usually do a few times a year but I need to plan it out to not have to schlep my stuff into work and also the weather needs to cooperate. I've wanted to a few times but it's been rainy/snowy in the morning so that's a deal breaker. I don't mind it cold, but not stupid cold. I'll have to see if the stars align soon.

Along with family time getting crazy I figured I'd learn a few things in between chasing the kids around, so I started trying out some cooking/baking recipes. Why not...pandemic.View attachment 147746View attachment 147748View attachment 147749
I too quit drinking for a while(hopefully forever but probably not). The first few nights it was lots of ice cream. I find that once you get a couple days under the belt the food cravings go away(I really eat like shit when I drink, literally only when I drink as I eat perfect up u til 7:30-8pm). Will power sums it up. I just tell myself no and hope it works. The hardest part for me is getting past 3 weeks. I haven’t done that in a long time. I am close. Keep at it and you will get there. One positive is I am down 5lbs in a week.

xc62701

I too quit drinking for a while(hopefully forever but probably not). The first few nights it was lots of ice cream. I find that once you get a couple days under the belt the food cravings go away(I really eat like shit when I drink, literally only when I drink as I eat perfect up u til 7:30-8pm). Will power sums it up. I just tell myself no and hope it works. The hardest part for me is getting past 3 weeks. I haven’t done that in a long time. I am close. Keep at it and you will get there. One positive is I am down 5lbs in a week.

Yea I'm not looking to get rid of alcohol forever but just limit consumption. For me honestly soda is the devil. I love it. I could drink it all day, but I know it's pure evil. When I gain weight it's bad food choices, but it's mostly the soda I feel. I wish I could get rid of it forever but I don't know if I can do that. I like it more when I use it as a reward instead of a habit. It's funny. I like beer but if you told me that I could never drink it again I'd be ok - soda not so much.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Yea I'm not looking to get rid of alcohol forever but just limit consumption. For me honestly soda is the devil. I love it. I could drink it all day, but I know it's pure evil. When I gain weight it's bad food choices, but it's mostly the soda I feel. I wish I could get rid of it forever but I don't know if I can do that. I like it more when I use it as a reward instead of a habit. It's funny. I like beer but if you told me that I could never drink it again I'd be ok - soda not so much.
Opposite here. I only drink soda at all because wife drinks it and it’s always coke zero. But for me it’s hand in hand, I drink beer then I eat too much.

Top Bottom