The Ring or Some Other Video Thing

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My wife has wanted the ring doorbell for awhile now and I am thinking of getting one. So for those who have it, likes, dislikes?

I am basically trying to decide on this or just a WiFi camera

Ultimately the goal is to be able to view/record as a security camera.

I'm a fan of wyze as well
Cameras are 20 bucks
They work great and they have a bunch of other smart home products.
Highly recommended

I have Ring Doorbell and the flood light they work well. I have heard good things about the Wyze camera.

If you are a Google/Android person look in to Nest hello too.

If you are considering security beyond just viewing/recording,
check with your local PD.
As I understand it, Ring partners with lots of local PDs-
Mine offers a discount, and (I think) notifications go directly to the Carson shop,
rather than a central monitoring board who then needs to contact the Po-po
in the case of an event.

But another consideration is where the footage is stored, and who owns/has access to it.
(Sorry, I have listened to too many Techtonic podcasts to not add that).

If you are considering security beyond just viewing/recording,
check with your local PD.
As I understand it, Ring partners with lots of local PDs-
Mine offers a discount, and (I think) notifications go directly to the Carson shop,
rather than a central monitoring board who then needs to contact the Po-po
in the case of an event.

But another consideration is where the footage is stored, and who owns/has access to it.
(Sorry, I have listened to too many Techtonic podcasts to not add that).
The storage is a bit of blackhole and I read some scary things on Rings data security in the past, not sure if it has gotten any better. One reason why I would put a camera inside my house and also a good selling point for traditional video surveilance

I have a few ring cams and door bells around the property. They aren't cheap, but easy to setup and there's a good community using them so you can anonymously post incidents for neighbors within what seems like a mile. That's how I recently found out about a small bear and pack of coyotes and a small group trying to break into cars.

No cams inside just a bunch of sensors. Many of the pieces runs on batteries with last about 2 months. I'm going to get an extra battery to pop in when any gets low.

I picked up the Wyze Cam v2 on clearance at home depot. For how cheap, figured why not.

Setup was easy. It has some functionality control features that you can turn on and off. Takes a pretty good picture during the day. Typical IR glare at the window, so the IR is not any help at night, sometimes it picks up the blinds without the IR on, but can pick up a car in my driveway. Its a good start until I figure out how to totally lay it out - maybe I'll move this on in front of the fish tank so I have something to watch.

IMG_0843.PNG

IMG_0850.PNG

I have a few ring cams and door bells around the property. They aren't cheap, but easy to setup and there's a good community using them so you can anonymously post incidents for neighbors within what seems like a mile. That's how I recently found out about a small bear and pack of coyotes and a small group trying to break into cars.

No cams inside just a bunch of sensors. Many of the pieces runs on batteries with last about 2 months. I'm going to get an extra battery to pop in when any gets low.
Kudos on extra batteries from amazon!

I picked up the Wyze Cam v2 on clearance at home depot. For how cheap, figured why not.

Setup was easy. It has some functionality control features that you can turn on and off. Takes a pretty good picture during the day. Typical IR glare at the window, so the IR is not any help at night, sometimes it picks up the blinds without the IR on, but can pick up a car in my driveway. Its a good start until I figure out how to totally lay it out - maybe I'll move this on in front of the fish tank so I have something to watch.

View attachment 120111

View attachment 120112
The wyze cams do great outside.(will get rid of the glare) They are technically indoor cameras but if you mount them out of the elements they are fine. I've had mine mounted outside for almost 2 years with no problems.
Also put a sd card inside incase you miss an event you still have the recording.
Screenshot_20200226-141221_Wyze.jpg

One big consideration is the resolution of the camera. At this price point, you can see someone walk up to the door or a car in the driveway but can you identify their face or plate number? Just another piece of the puzzle to consider.

I should follow this, I'd like to have one over our garage and maybe the doorbell, but dont wanna pay a monthly fee for it.

i have two cameras setup, one on my (detached) garage (powered, but wifi) and one on the front of the house (solar and wifi) so far so good, covers the front door and the back/door driveway

I should follow this, I'd like to have one over our garage and maybe the doorbell, but dont wanna pay a monthly fee for it.
You dont have to pay a fee for the ring, only if you want your video saved on their site. Regardless, it is $30 a year.

$30 a year no matter how many cameras you have?
When you mean "saved on their site", can you access it to see WTF going on an hour ago or whatever?

Back
Top Bottom