The Rig Rides Again

You and I could probably keep Halter's going all by ourselves if we didn't have other responsibilities holding us back...

:rofl::rofl:...i wanted to let you know that I appreciate the fork input earlier in this thread...I'm interested in knowing how the small bump compliance is after you have dialed it in...I won't be using it for a while, my build is held up by a pair of brakes that aren't available yet

:rofl::rofl:...i wanted to let you know that I appreciate the fork input earlier in this thread...I'm interested in knowing how the small bump compliance is after you have dialed it in...I won't be using it for a while, my build is held up by a pair of brakes that aren't available yet

I've made progress on getting it dialed.

I just got in from a night ride at, uh, never mind...

Anyway, the stem tweaks helped the traction while climbing...

As far as the fork, I made a HUGE leap with that. I bumped the air pressure to the max recommended for my weight range in the + and put about 7 psi more in the negative. It was like riding my sofa compared to the last ride out...a different league than the '07 Reba (better be!). Smooth as butter, as they say. Small bumps virtually vanished...it was kinda' weird feeling in a way :D

I think I need to bump the rebound dampening up a bit as it got a little bouncy feeling on the bigger stuff....

Good stuff. Best thing is that maxle, though.

Awesome man...You have me all fired up to get on mine.So is it true about the maxle:D?Stiff Stiff Stiff.After flipping the stem did you go to 120mm?

Awesome man...You have me all fired up to get on mine.So is it true about the maxle:D?Stiff Stiff Stiff.After flipping the stem did you go to 120mm?

It is like the fork ate a whole bottle of ****** :D

I'm running 100mm still...flipped the stem and raised it a little.

Edit: Hey! When did we start ** out stuff?!!! For the record, it was v-i-a-g-r-a.

It is like the fork ate a whole bottle of ****** :D

I'm running 100mm still...flipped the stem and raised it a little.

Edit: Hey! When did we start ** out stuff?!!! For the record, it was v-i-a-g-r-a.

I feel like I ate a whole bottle of ****** just waiting to put mine thru it's paces...And knowing it handles that North Jersey nasty stuff makes me stiff like a maxle...:D

'Had a horrid ride today, so I'm a little grumpy. 'Think I inadvertently ingested some gluten on a biz trip last week and it has been dragging me down. 'Felt okay this AM, but the ride was a disaster. 'Struggled to get up hills that I made it up easily the *first* time I rode a SS. Gah!

Anyway, why am I posting here? Oh yeah....

'Been trying different stem positions (up/down, flipped/unflipped) and I've narrowed it down to a range, but can't quite get it feeling right. Given the length of my steerer and the fact I have a 10 degree rise stem, I'm pretty limited. So, I decided to just get a zero degree stem and that will give me all the adjustability I have combos of spacers for in the range where I know the sweet spot resides. I must find said sweet spot; otherwise I'll drop the travel to 80mm to get the feel I had back...and that would be a tragedy.

Another thing I need to do with the new setup is start dropping rear tire pressure. The C29SSMAX wheels are considerably stiffer than the Rig's Mustang/conventional spoke combo. As such, the ride for the SIR9 w/the C29SSMAXs isn't a helluva lot better than the aluminum Rig w/the Bontys. I love every other characteristic of the Mavic's, but man, not loving the harshness through the bumpy stuff w/the HT. I am running about 35 psi in the big rear Conti, so I'll drop it to 30 psi and see how that feels.

I think I need to go take a nap...

This just didn't feel right..

...putting gears on the SIR9. But I did it. I figure that powering up hills on the SS when the snow flies would be a futile endeavor, so for the winter I decided to go 1x9.

So, the SIR9 now has a 36 in the front and 11/34 in the rear. I was hoping to run my 33T Q-ring on the front, but since my bash guard (from the Turner) was a 36T, the chain rubbed it whilst on the smaller cogs. So I decided to throw my 36T sprocket on it because there is no way was I gonna' run my "it cost how much?!" q-rotor w/out a bash guard. If I miss my q-rotor too much I'll either get a bigger one or a 34T bash ring (likely).

The conversion had a few other bumps as well....

I was hoping to just throw the grip shift on w/my regular Ergon grips (non-grip shift versions). Unfortunately, that made my brake too far in-board for the stubby levers on the Formulas. Since I had a second set of full Ergons for when I go SS again, I just cut the right grip.

I also had to remove jdog's pretty inner-tube chain stay guard as the cable rubbed on it. I tried re-wrapping it three times moving back on the chain stay each time, but finally got the f'its.

I hear the 2009 SIR9s have the rear der cable routed along the top tube verses the down tube. This is a good thing because this cable is sitting out there just begging to be snagged on something :(

Attachments

• sir.jpg
    sir.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 119
Holy crap I'm so jealous of your ease-of-access to get outside from your workspace.

Nice color bike, BTW. ;)

Holy crap I'm so jealous of your ease-of-access to get outside from your workspace.

Nice color bike, BTW. ;)

Heh, heh, we rarely even use that door. I usually take my bike out another door in my basement through the garage. When I do drive-way test rides after tweaking something I leave the door and the garage door open and just ride in and out of the basement.

Heh, heh, we rarely even use that door. I usually take my bike out another door in my basement through the garage. When I do drive-way test rides after tweaking something I leave the door and the garage door open and just ride in and out of the basement.

I have an unheated shed, with no electricity. I also have a basement which is accessible only from the back door down the carpeted steps. So I only bring the bikes down for major things, usually in pieces (wheel, wheel, frame). Then when I bring it back it's reasonably clean and I don't need to worry as much about the mess.

My road bike is a mess right now, though I'm sure it pales in comparison to what the guys at Mercer have to show for the weekend.

I have an unheated shed, with no electricity. I also have a basement which is accessible only from the back door down the carpeted steps. So I only bring the bikes down for major things, usually in pieces (wheel, wheel, frame). Then when I bring it back it's reasonably clean and I don't need to worry as much about the mess.

My road bike is a mess right now, though I'm sure it pales in comparison to what the guys at Mercer have to show for the weekend.

Bummer, Norm. I guess there are a few advantages to this overgrown POS I call a house after all...

Bummer, Norm. I guess there are a few advantages to this overgrown POS I call a house after all...

Once my daughter gets old enough to spend some QT with me/bike and not immediately grab my chain and cassette, I may look to run some electricity out there and maybe throw in a old wood stove. Every year I get approximately 64 tons of branches in the yard so we always have enough wood to burn.

Once my daughter gets old enough to spend some QT with me/bike and not immediately grab my chain and cassette, I may look to run some electricity out there and maybe throw in a old wood stove. Every year I get approximately 64 tons of branches in the yard so we always have enough wood to burn.

I feel your pain. The last car I did a frame-off on ('69 Z/28) I did most of it in a garage w/o electricity...and this is when I was living in Minnesota! I couldn't even run an extension cord to the garage...it was too far away from my townhouse.

I had a car battery that I'd charge up and 12v flood lights + insulated over-alls. It was brutal...

I feel your pain. The last car I did a frame-off on ('69 Z/28) I did most of it in a garage w/o electricity...and this is when I was living in Minnesota! I couldn't even run an extension cord to the garage...it was too far away from my townhouse.

I had a car battery that I'd charge up and 12v flood lights + insulated over-alls. It was brutal...
The things we do for love...

I have many fond memories of freezing my ass off on garage floors in the winter. Wish I still had the time and money to play with cars, though I was never even close to being as serious as you.

The things we do for love...

I have many fond memories of freezing my ass off on garage floors in the winter. Wish I still had the time and money to play with cars, though I was never even close to being as serious as you.

Funny thing is that now I have a decent sized garage; no heat but all I need to do is leave the door between the basement and the garage open and it'll get reasonable out there (installed new insulated garage doors a few years back), but no cash/motivation to start a big project.

I do wish I had the money (time can be made if you want to do it bad enough)...though doing frame off restos is something I'll never do again. I'm done with that ('probably done half-dozen between my and my buddie's cars over the years). If there is ever a toy car in my garage again, that isn't a race car, it'll be something like a kit car where all the parts are brandy new. Sanding, blasting, and polishing nasty old parts SUCKS! Body work sucks too. I like assembling/rebuilding mechanicals (if they're new or already cleaned up).

Back
Top Bottom