The Queen got a neo-classic Convertible

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Is there a reason you are worried about it being bent?

yeah - they bend in half and become undriveable cause the doors won't close! unibody thing.

if i'm going there, i'm going to double it for the restomod vette

Hey what about this, and get rid of those ridiculous wheels and put on the Minilites.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/liberty-corner-1975-fiat-124-spider/7259946159.html

rubber baby buggy bumpers - bleck!

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Or just remove the bumpers, like this!
1979-Fiat-124-Spider-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Looks like they might sell kits to relocate lights in the holes and filler panels.

Patrick

Staff member
Or just remove the bumpers, like this!
1979-Fiat-124-Spider-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Looks like they might sell kits to relocate lights in the holes and filler panels.

i'd remove the side marker lights too.

that ad look like he pulled the car over on 287 to take a picture?

Ian F

My ex- went through this back in... 2005. "I want a convertible!" ...to go with her 2003 MINI Cooper S and 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Thought about an E30 325is convertible. Looked at a couple of others … finally fell in love with a '79 Spitfire on eBay in Pittsburgh. We drove out to look at it, found it rust free, she paid the BIN price and she drove it home. The following Spring, she was "shocked" :oops: to discover the convertible tops on British cars from the 60's and 70's were token items meant to "kinda" keep the rain off of you... so in 2007 we bought a MINI Cooper convertible... kept that until she needed to reduce debt load and sold it in 2011. Still has the Spitfire (she blew up the engine, so it sat in the garage...). 2015 rolls around, she falls head over heals for the new ND MX-5 (prior to that, she was vehemently against all Japanese cars). So she pre-ordered and bought a Launch Edition ND.
Now she has 5 cars: The '03 MCS, the Spitfire (she did get a new engine a couple of years ago), the Volvo, the ND Miata, and a 2017 VW Alltrack.
TLDR: Whatever you get for her, don't expect satisfaction.
yes - classic/QQ plates in NJ = no annual inspection. Even the front plate is arguably optional (the ex- runs a Euro style plate with the same plate number on the 1800ES and no plate at all on the Spitfire since converting it to chrome bumpers).

Patrick

Staff member
My ex- went through this back in... 2005. "I want a convertible!" ...to go with her 2003 MINI Cooper S and 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Thought about an E30 325is convertible. Looked at a couple of others … finally fell in love with a '79 Spitfire on eBay in Pittsburgh. We drove out to look at it, found it rust free, she paid the BIN price and she drove it home. The following Spring, she was "shocked" :oops: to discover the convertible tops on British cars from the 60's and 70's were token items meant to "kinda" keep the rain off of you... so in 2007 we bought a MINI Cooper convertible... kept that until she needed to reduce debt load and sold it in 2011. Still has the Spitfire (she blew up the engine, so it sat in the garage...). 2015 rolls around, she falls head over heals for the new ND MX-5 (prior to that, she was vehemently against all Japanese cars). So she pre-ordered and bought a Launch Edition ND.
Now she has 5 cars: The '03 MCS, the Spitfire (she did get a new engine a couple of years ago), the Volvo, the ND Miata, and a 2017 VW Alltrack.
TLDR: Whatever you get for her, don't expect satisfaction.
yes - classic/QQ plates in NJ = no annual inspection. Even the front plate is arguably optional (the ex- runs a Euro style plate with the same plate number on the 1800ES and no plate at all on the Spitfire since converting it to chrome bumpers).

anything without OBD2 is exempt from inspection - like our '93 metro vert.

she just wants something to drive when it is nice out that wouldn't be seen everyday,
which is a little more sports minded than her old commuter.

i bid up a bugeye last week, and it was in NJ, so no shipping costs. just ran up a bit too much for me.

will find something. i want her to get a new mx-5, but she is kinda stuck on a real classic (58 vette would fit the bill)

JerseyPete

@Patrick
Are you near Plainfield anytime soon?
Offer 10K most, but first look at the underside, floorpans, behind the headlight buckets, etc.

Patrick

Staff member
@Patrick
Are you near Plainfield anytime soon?
Offer 10K most, but first look at the underside, floorpans, behind the headlight buckets, etc.

Thanks! keep em coming.

gotta be red!!! I know, just it is what it is.

i like the 124 bumper mods - i'd probably glass them in tho.
the emission control on the 1975 is probably just silly - hoses all over?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
the emission control on the 1975 is probably just silly - hoses all over?
I would have thought the same, but from the pics doesn't look too bad. I bet if you cleaned it up like you want it, you could probably sell it and not lose money.

Top Bottom