The Poison Ivy Thread

JDurk

Did a "recovery" ride today. Cleaned up along the way but I skipped white because I was tired so if there's anything there, post it up.View attachment 136107View attachment 136108

This is the one I posted earlier, it was a widowmaker hanging from some vines. I cut away the vines around where it was on the ground and was able to drop it out without too much trouble. I cleared the overhead stuff the best I could with the saw but it needs som pruners to finish it off.View attachment 136109View attachment 136110

This one is on red heading back from 27 before the red/orange split, it's getting lower but it's too much for one person. 2 or 3 could push it off where it's hung up and move it off the trail without any cutting. View attachment 136111
Is that vine all poison ivy?

I'm golden, thanks. I do appreciate posting the video though, I'm definitely using some of those tips in the future.

those tips may help, they arent 100% and they wont work for everybody

This video is gospel. Should be required viewing for anyone entering six mile. I have a bottle of dawn in my car and shower at all times.

hopefully you arent highly allergic, i know i can have a rash from contacting poison ivy within minutes, depending on the amount of exposure, nothing helps me except the barrier lotions they sell (growing up it was branded 'ivy-block' recently i have found 'ivy-x' to be effective.

if the washing up method works for you, great, if not (like me) go get a preventative.

those tips may help, they arent 100% and they wont work for everybody

hopefully you arent highly allergic, i know i can have a rash from contacting poison ivy within minutes, depending on the amount of exposure, nothing helps me except the barrier lotions they sell (growing up it was branded 'ivy-block' recently i have found 'ivy-x' to be effective.

if the washing up method works for you, great, if not (like me) go get a preventative.
Steroid shot is my only remedy

I'm golden, thanks. I do appreciate posting the video though, I'm definitely using some of those tips in the future.
It looks like there may have been some poison ivy mixed in after all. I woke up this morning with itchy spots on my right arm and neck. It doesn't look like what I usually get from it and it took almost 48 hours to show up but who knows? I can't figure out anything else that could have caused it, I did clean up some limbs at the house yesterday but that was linden and crabapple with no vines anywhere. Oh well, I'll heal.

It looks like there may have been some poison ivy mixed in after all. I woke up this morning with itchy spots on my right arm and neck. It doesn't look like what I usually get from it and it took almost 48 hours to show up but who knows? I can't figure out anything else that could have caused it, I did clean up some limbs at the house yesterday but that was linden and crabapple with no vines anywhere. Oh well, I'll heal.

Little known fact, the official name is” Six mile run reservoir and poison ivy nursery”

I like using a grease cutter with pumice for prevention. Taking 48 hrs to show up isn’t weird.

Little known fact, the official name is” Six mile run reservoir and poison ivy nursery”

I like using a grease cutter with pumice for prevention. Taking 48 hrs to show up isn’t weird.

I get terrible reactions and I usually see it at the earliest 24 hours later. And then usually worsens for a couple days. I think it takes time for the oils to get further into the skin. Sometimes I’m washing at the car before I head home.

Yeah my poison ivy takes minimum 48 hours. Sometimes longer. It's to the point I think I've dodged a bullet and then surprise!

Good work J and friends! Look to hit the trails when they dry out again.

As far as the poison ivy debate... there is one cure if you do find the red skin and bumps on yourself. I’ll probably get a lot of negativity for this but I will guarantee it works.
Mineral spirits or gasoline. Let it sit on the affected area for a few min then wash. Next day it’s gone.

Good work J and friends! Look to hit the trails when they dry out again.

As far as the poison ivy debate... there is one cure if you do find the red skin and bumps on yourself. I’ll probably get a lot of negativity for this but I will guarantee it works.
Mineral spirits or gasoline. Let it sit on the affected area for a few min then wash. Next day it’s gone.
What about essential oils?

If you know you came in contact with it after your ride...then sure, I get it. But if you all ready have the rash, isn’t it too late for the nuclear option? Honestly, I’m really asking, cuz I don’t know. I’d think it’ll just make things worse, no?

Never tried it for poison ivy as I'm not allergic to it, but this is the common cure for chiggers.

I can with 100% certainty say that gasoline make its worse. I'm severely allergic to any poison ivy/sumac/oak.

The video a few posts back about making sure you wipe off the oils, as if its automotive grease, is the way to go.
The trick is, you need to wash as soon as possible.
The recent storm had me sweating my ass off on fire calls, then I had to clear some trees on the property. Needless to say. I was beat.
Prednisone ftw!!

But seriously. Don't use gasoline.

Back
Top Bottom