The only original MTBNJ Woodworking thread!!!!!

rick81721

Lothar
Hey Max there's a house on Lindbergh road and Ridge road in Hillsboro that has a bunch of cool looking boards out front. Didn't stop to see if they are free or for sale. Also selling free range chicken eggs!

grilledcheeseking

That looks really nice. I'm in the process of doing something similar, did you just paint the raisers or is it some type of veneer / retrofit ? Asking because the tread seems less protruding than in the 'before' picture.
Thank you @serviceguy! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It may look like the bullnose comes out farther in the 'before' because of a combination of the carpet and the angle of the photo. Honestly, I didn't take a before of the actual staircase, so used a different, steeper staircase for that photo.

The underlying wood was contractor grade - all really ugly, creaky pine. So I first screwed the stairs together to eliminate creeks, then installed tread and riser caps. Happy to talk a little more about the project if that'd be helpful!

serviceguy

Thank you @serviceguy! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It may look like the bullnose comes out farther in the 'before' because of a combination of the carpet and the angle of the photo. Honestly, I didn't take a before of the actual staircase, so used a different, steeper staircase for that photo.

The underlying wood was contractor grade - all really ugly, creaky pine. So I first screwed the stairs together to eliminate creeks, then installed tread and riser caps. Happy to talk a little more about the project if that'd be helpful!
Thanks! Same here, recycled the old stairs and revived them with a custom designed handrail in metal, but due to the number of projects and lack of time we stopped after sanding the actual stairs. I am tempted to cap them, but my wife is sold on just staining the tread and painting the raisers and stringer (one is exposed) white...I never liked painted wood, but it’s worth a try.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Thanks! Same here, recycled the old stairs and revived them with a custom designed handrail in metal, but due to the number of projects and lack of time we stopped after sanding the actual stairs. I am tempted to cap them, but my wife is sold on just staining the tread and painting the raisers and stringer (one is exposed) white...I never liked painted wood, but it’s worth a try.

My wife had someone come in and paint ours to look like some kind of (faux) stone. Has hidden all the kick marks for years.

Crappy photo, looks better in person.

stairs.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Who is for hire here?
I have 4 columns on front porch/walkway that needs to be replaced. They are like 6”x6” size. Hollow inside (made of 4 pieces of wood) that I would like replaced with a solid piece. 9’ high or so. Honestly, they probably don’t do shit structurally since the bottoms are rotted out

please PM me ?

grilledcheeseking

Who is for hire here?
I have 4 columns on front porch/walkway that needs to be replaced. They are like 6”x6” size. Hollow inside (made of 4 pieces of wood) that I would like replaced with a solid piece. 9’ high or so. Honestly, they probably don’t do shit structurally since the bottoms are rotted out

please PM me ?
Do you really want solid wood rather than rebuilding with azek or something? Guess that partly depends on whether or not they're painted.

Top Bottom