Notes from a Millennial

Over the Bars

Is there a Classified section for Millennial on MTBNJ.com ? Never knew that. Not interested. Who's going to buy any of those? Maybe if they're powder coated...

Who is Joe D?
Hey now watch out you hurt all the millennials feelings with what you just said.

serviceguy

...and there I was thinking some influencer/youtuber I never knew existed...
  1. now i feel old.
  2. this reminds me i should really update my blog.
  3. long live grunge!
1. what should I feel then?!?! or @rick81721 ?!?!?
2. I started yesterday, then gave up because I had nothing worth mentioning...
3. ehm, what about New Wave then...

Seriously though, the thread title kind of turns off what the OP seems to describe as the majority on here, kind of like 'this blog is not for most of you, you're too old...'. Happy to be proven wrong.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Here's a fun thing to consider ... a while back I worked in sponsored research in healthcare and one of the studies I was involved in looked at ARDS patients. The actual paper was called "Quality-adjusted survival in the first year after the acute respiratory distress syndrome" and one of my specific contributions to that paper was a score I created to estimate quality adjusted life years by age (let's call it QALY.) There were a number of factors I included in the model, but the score itself was pretty simple. As I recall, QALY was a monotonically decreasing log function from birth, a fact that I used to explain to audiences we shared that work with as "Basically, life doesn't ever get better than the time when you get to sleep most of the day, crap yourself and have someone else clean it up and, whenever you start to cry, somneone shoves a breast in your mouth." Additionally, since it was a log function, the drop-off after early childhood was steepest. Again, that made sense to me - once you reach the point where your parents stop running interference for you on every single god-awful reality of life, shit gets real.

So why mention all this here? Well, for millennials in particular (and maybe a third of Gen Zers as well) - while the actual life expectancy per 100K of you right now is certainly longer than that of both Gen Xers and Boomers, your actual quality-adjusted life years are not appreciablly different because for Gen X and Boomers, the area under the curve for our shit awful lives is more or less flattening out at this point while you all can still look forward to the fact that things will still get noticeably worse.

Top Bottom