The Official Mushroom Thread

Was in the Adirondacks a few weeks ago, and a guy was carrying a chunk of "Chaga" said he got from a white birch. Guess its good as tea or something, he was super excited, his lady friend, not so much.
Chaga is probably the hardest to find, most desirable of the "medicinal" mushrooms.

I usually see more than 1, but I've seen lone ones as well. Have yet to come across a huge cluster, but I've seen photos in my FB feed. That's all I see in my FB feed now is mushroom ID requests.

I found a very large cluster years ago but it was far up on a tree with no lower branches - needed a ladder to get to them!

Subscribed Jimmy, MrsQ took mycology classes at Rutgers years ago and has been talking about foraging locally. Which parks in NJ are good for beginners?

appeared overnight!
Unless the stems are edible, doesn't look like much going on.

1603389787873.png
1603389818070.png

appeared overnight!
Unless the stems are edible, doesn't look like much going on.

View attachment 141960
View attachment 141961
Coprinopsis sp. Maybe Coprinopsis lagopides. It is listed as inedible which probably means it's not worth eating.

A number of mushrooms in this genus contains coprine, which when combined with alcohol is poisonus - so no one in mtbNJ will eat them. It's the same chemical they give to alcoholics so they get sick when they drink alcohol.

And i learned a new word! evanescent
of course welcome to the english language, no need for it to be spelt :))) similarly to nascent.
seem like they would be related.

Subscribed Jimmy, MrsQ took mycology classes at Rutgers years ago and has been talking about foraging locally. Which parks in NJ are good for beginners?
Really any place where it's easy to walk/hike. I tend to find more mushrooms in well accessed, wide trails vs through single track and bushwhacking through the woods.

Back
Top Bottom