Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
pics...

l_1e538247bf78082b4e7a13f69a338857.jpg

l_711ffd5947ebb4b259263f2c4bab266d.jpg

l_65b26473748147c975c0a6ac172cd559.jpg

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've officially converted my bike to a 1x9:D I've had it long enough to realize I'm never gonna need the big ring on the 29'er and I haven't had a little ring on my bikes in years...I rode it yesterday at Hartshorne and really like how much smoother the drivetrain feels and of course, it's a lot quieter...I'll post some pics later...-Jim.

It's awesome. 6 months purely 1x9 now and I'm still super happy with it. I raced it at Waway and never wanted more (or less). And on top of losing all the crap, once you go 1x9 you can throw on a short-cage der which is short n sweet.

I think for all-mountain bikes around 30 pounds, it's a no-brainer. clearance, weight, noise, simplicity. 32x11-34.

Steve Vai

Surprised to hear you never use your big ring Jim.

It's true...At Waywayanda I got the holeshot and sat out in front of the Expert field through the fastest part of the course, in the middle ring...And at Hartshorne yesterday, 2 of my laps were faster than I've ever gone, all in the middle ring...Try it next time you're out...You'll be surprised...

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I first got my bike I went out to LM and used my big ring. After 1 race lap I soon realized that I was just excited to have a new bike and haven't used it since. I actually used it a few times on the downs at Waway, but I'm not sure if it was really necessary.

Actually I'm sure it wasn't. I think 2 different times I thought I was in the big ring, but was in the middle ring, and I dropped the front ring only to find I was in the small ring. So in the end I think it was more a distraction than not.

Anyway, I'm a fat reject. I figured a fast guy like you would actually use it. Obviously if you don't need it, I sure as hell don't.

BiknBen

Surprised to hear you never use your big ring Jim.

Gear inches increase as wheel circumference increases. That means that a gear combo is higher on a 29er than it would be on a 26er.

When I was using gears on a 26er, the big ring was just my bash guard. I would remove it from a 29er as well. You could also install a smaller chain-ring if you really wanted 27 gears.

Jim,

So if you already have a bashguard, then all you need is that guide attached to your frame? What's that guide called? That's a pretty sweet, simple setup. The guides I've heard other people talking about seemed a lot more complex.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Jim,

So if you already have a bashguard, then all you need is that guide attached to your frame? What's that guide called? That's a pretty sweet, simple setup. The guides I've heard other people talking about seemed a lot more complex.

if you're riding a hardtail, you're good with a jump-stop (see earlier in this thread for links to the rohloff and n-gear ones) to keep your chain from falling off the inside like he has. If you're riding a dualie you may need something more substantial. On my dualie, I use a blackspire blackguard on the inside of my 32-tooth ring and that does the job nicely.

The "show pics of your 1x9" thread in the drivetrain forum on MTBR has around 30 different combinations of chain guide devices.

Steve Vai

Steve Vai

Obviously if you don't need it, I sure as hell don't.

Actually, after reading about JHK's 2x9 ring setup I realized I didn't need it, he runs a 39/29...And quite a few of my Fisher 29'er teammates don't run outer rings on their bikes either...

-Jim.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
If I ever go back to a geared mtb it'll almost certainly be a 1x9. Jim's setup is pretty much exactly what I'd run.

Good chance my CX will become a 1x9 come the end of this summer. Right now, thatis my geared mtb, come to think of it...

f2f4

I was thinking of converting my hardtail into a 1x9.

Mainly for two reasons:

1) Simplicity, weight, etc
2) Part of my quest to make my bike DJ-capable :p

#2 being just a part of what I'm planning to do. I'm also looking at shorter stems, new other parts, etc.

I'm thinking of a 34 chainring, with a 34-11 on the back. Good or no? Should I run a 36 ring instead?

I can use a short-cage SRAM with a 34/36 x 34-11 setup, right?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

I'm thinking of a 34 chainring, with a 34-11 on the back. Good or no? Should I run a 36 ring instead?

Unless you're in killer shape, I'd stick with a 32 or 34 tooth ring. So long as you've got 11-34 in the back you shouldn't spin out unless you're on pavement.
Yes, def. a short-cage. My x9 rules.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Mainly for two reasons:

1) Simplicity, weight, etc
2) Part of my quest to make my bike DJ-capable :p

#2 being just a part of what I'm planning to do. I'm also looking at shorter stems, new other parts, etc.

34 should be good unless you ride mainly downhill or really flat places. I road a 34 for awhile and it was prefect.

dhsean

I have a SC Chameleon setup with a 36 and 12-25 cassette with a short cage road derailer. It's a common setup for slalom/4x. It works pretty well for everything but gets a little rough on the trails with steep or longer climbs.

A regular MTB cassette would probably be more versatile for trail riding when you have to climb.

kramonut

Had a 1x9 set-up on my Chameleon when I first built it...loved it.
IMG_1281.jpg

Wanted to give SS a shot & liked it even more:
IMG_1989.jpg

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
the big name guys who arent are a 29 hardail are riding for companies that dont have a 29 in their product line.

I think only Giant amongst the major bike makers doesn't offer a 29er at this point, so I don't agree with that. Truth is different strokes for different folks. JHK and another top 5 dude rode 29ers BTW.
Anyway, Adam's 35-tooth chain ring is big for me, but not as big as I thought it would be actually. And his chain guide device kinda has me thinking.

Top Bottom