The Official mtbnj 1x9 Thread...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
...of which I'm sure I'm the only current member. But I love riding my trail bike as a 9-speed and I get enough inquiries that I thought I'd post my ride and let people see the benefits and drawbacks to going from 27 to 9 speeds.

I almost never used my big chainring. Maybe on smooth fireroads and downhills every now and then but it's rare. And I rarely used my granny, and figured if it wasn't there I could probably still make it up all of the hills I was already clearing. So I tossed my front derailleur and left shifter, all that cable, and removed the two outer chainrings (keeping my 32-tooth) and went riding. SO much quieter without the chain slapping the front derailleur. And around 1.5 pounds lighter and a couple less components to go wrong and maintain. But my bike's a full-suspension so I was losing my chain like mad (not as much a worry with a hardtail). 20 times on one ride I lost that damn chain, and removing as many links as possible didn't help. So on went a Blackspire Lite God and Blackguard (each around 80 grams) to keep the chain on (there are many chain retention devices to choose from). Whammo -- no more chain drop, still quieter, still less to worry about, and still more than a pound lost off the bike. Perfect.

It's been around 2 months and I couldn't be happier (barring a Ti frame, Fox 100 fork and XTR all around). I'm not sure if I'll keep the 9 speed setup for the race season starting in May, but it'll certainly be my drivetrain setup of choice for my trail bike from here onward. And to those Singlespeeders -- I've got one of those too, but I like this better.:D

Pics:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3969787#poststop

So if you've got a similar setup, post it and let everyone see where it's at!

don

Not 1x9 but I've been using 1x8 for years. I actually cannot remember when I last had a front derailuer on a bike. For the stuff I ride around in NJ and even when I go to VT a 1x8 setup is plenty. I'm not pedaling going downhill - rather just flow/pump the trail and going uphill if I need a lower gear - I just hop off and push. I did the "climb everything no matter what" riding years ago and it got old.

I would love to get a 1x6 setup with an internally geared hub or even better the transmission setup like gboxx (http://www.g-boxx.org/). I know one guy in VT that had a 3 speed tranny at one point - one gear for uphill, one for flats and one for downhill. Seems to make the most sense as I love the lack of noise using a SS but wouldn't mind a few extra gears to be honest.

BiknBen

While I never truly had a one-by-nine, I noticed that I only used the middle ring. The big ring got beat up and became the roc ring. The inner ring just helped me get the chain back to the middle if it came off. I was too lazy to actually remove the stuff. ;)

When it comes time to race, resist the urge to convert back. The inner ring will only slow you down. If you are going slow enough to need it...you might as well put the bike over your shoulder and run.

I've also seen many racers get distracted due to chain-suck or poor front shifting. Remove the problem and focus on going faster.

Wazu

IMO anyone with a 1 X 9 is a future Single Speeder still in the transformation stage. Drop 8 of the gears in the back and become a stronger rider. Word.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Assuming my new single speed project comes to fruition, my current and much-loved Bontrager SS will likely become a 1x9. All I need to do is buy a Pauls thumby mount for the rear shifter and I'm good to go. I think it'll be fun.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMO anyone with a 1 X 9 is a future Single Speeder still in the transformation stage. Drop 8 of the gears in the back and become a stronger rider. Word.

You know it's funny that Bill and I were talking about how so many threads around here go instantly to "buy a SS". And the first thread I read when I get online, sure enough there it is.

walter

Fourth Party
You know it's funny that Bill and I were talking about how so many threads around here go instantly to "buy a SS". And the first thread I read when I get online, sure enough there it is.

And hasn't Bill recently "bought a SS"?:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Not "recently" anymore, 6 months now. Though he was spotted on a geared bike today!!! Though...maybe that's because I stole his SS and he had to ride mine or walk back to the lot :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Not 1x9 but I've been using 1x8 for years. I actually cannot remember when I last had a front derailuer on a bike. For the stuff I ride around in NJ and even when I go to VT a 1x8 setup is plenty. I'm not pedaling going downhill - rather just flow/pump the trail and going uphill if I need a lower gear - I just hop off and push. I did the "climb everything no matter what" riding years ago and it got old.

I would love to get a 1x6 setup with an internally geared hub or even better the transmission setup like gboxx (http://www.g-boxx.org/). I know one guy in VT that had a 3 speed tranny at one point - one gear for uphill, one for flats and one for downhill. Seems to make the most sense as I love the lack of noise using a SS but wouldn't mind a few extra gears to be honest.

on most ss cassete hubs, you can fit 1-6 cogs, perfectly spaced, and run up to a six speed setup. just adjust the limiter screws on a road deralluer accordingly and you'll be set. you would still have a derailluer, but untill internals get lighter, this would probably be the best option.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yeah, but he spent half of today's ride on Norm's geary. Bill is only sipping the Kool Aid currently.

In all seriousness, I would never push the SS as the end-all and be-all. Obviously, it's my preferred mode, after 15 years of riding, but it clearly has its limitations. One thing that I've found is that it makes you a stronger rider in some respects, but limits you in others. It's impossible to maintain high-end power if all you do is ride a SS, as there's no analog to turning a 53x15 at 90+ rpm on a singlespeed. You can have stump-pulling torque and develop great pedaling flexibility, but you won't have the complete fitness spectrum covered. It sure is fun, though!

Wazu

Hmmm... I could be wrong but... Oh yeah, that's it, maybe because so many people feel that way! Don't be an overmoderator Norm. If you have something directly related to the opinon, fine, but to quote it to be sarcastic... I dunno, something a weaker rider would say in my OPINION hehe. Let the opinions fly unless you have something pertainent to add. Moderating for a million years doesn't make you a better moderator. If that were true I'd be a better golfer, and I still suck. Now, back to point. If yer gonna have nine, why the heck not have 27? With nine you need the extra cable, derailleur and you still have to shift. Also the extra gears make you whimp up hills instead of digging deep down to get over them. SS is cool, and so is multi gear but might as well fully enjoy the benefits by riding one or the other that day.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't be an overmoderator Norm. If you have something directly related to the opinon, fine, but to quote it to be sarcastic... I dunno, something a weaker rider would say in my OPINION hehe. Let the opinions fly unless you have something pertainent to add. Moderating for a million years doesn't make you a better moderator.

Lighten up Francis. This has nothing to do with moderating.

Wazu

BTW You were up at 6 oclock this morning on the site, but the "first" thread you read today was mine on 1 X 9 at around 3 pm. Well alrighty then. I'm light sure enough, but I'll stick to my guns with every word I wrote. Let opinions be what they are unless you have a point. Don't forget, I'm the same guy who wrote you a pm this morning telling you how you do the job of three men, and how it should be appreciated, just cause I thought you deserved to hear it. Things are cool with me and I mean it too, but quoting me will always have a double barreled retort. Just let opinons fly Normski. No worries over here man.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW You were up at 6 oclock this morning on the site, but the "first" thread you read today was mine on 1 X 9 at around 3 pm. Well alrighty then.

Yes, I was up at 6:00, reading PMs on my blackberry while eating breakfast. Then I left at 6:30 to meet up for a ride at 8:00 at Allaire. I'm glad we straightened that all out. The world is a better place because of your detective work.

haha thnx guys. My next investment is turning my bike into a 1x9er haha. 28 pounds is way to heavy for a hardtail so if any one else has any other cheap suggestion to drop weight can you post them?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
haha thnx guys. My next investment is turning my bike into a 1x9er haha. 28 pounds is way to heavy for a hardtail so if any one else has any other cheap suggestion to drop weight can you post them?

Eat less?

Ok ok I'll stop. Shedding bike weight is an endless cycle, and it's not always going to result in a better ride. Today I realized the folly of an aluminum hardtale with an alumimum seat post on a race (hard) saddle with non-UST tires pumped up to 38 PSI. Yeah it's a lighter bike but every goddamn root shoots up through my spine.

In the end, there really aren't many easy & cheap ways to shed weight. You can buy a light saddle and grips for relatively cheap, and maybe you shed 6-12 ounces. Or maybe buy eggbeater pedals and drop another 4-6 ounces, maybe. But the big weight savings (wheels) are going to cost.

Eat less?

Ok ok I'll stop. Shedding bike weight is an endless cycle, and it's not always going to result in a better ride. Today I realized the folly of an aluminum hardtale with an alumimum seat post on a race (hard) saddle with non-UST tires pumped up to 38 PSI. Yeah it's a lighter bike but every goddamn root shoots up through my spine.

In the end, there really aren't many easy & cheap ways to shed weight. You can buy a light saddle and grips for relatively cheap, and maybe you shed 6-12 ounces. Or maybe buy eggbeater pedals and drop another 4-6 ounces, maybe. But the big weight savings (wheels) are going to cost.

yeah i was thinking the same. GEtting a job soon and the first 500 i get is going into wheels and about 300 in upgrades. then its saving up for a car haha

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah i was thinking the same. GEtting a job soon and the first 500 i get is going into wheels and about 300 in upgrades. then its saving up for a car haha

Good deal. Here's my suggestion. Pick one thing, figure out exactly what you'd like, then save for it. Don't pick 3 things and get stuff that's "close enough". Just swap 1 at a time, and do it right. I know you're probably thinking you want to swap out as much as possible right away. But the money is better spent buying 1 piece of quality equipment at a time.

Now when it comes time to assess your parts, this web site has plenty of opinions! So post up!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm down at the in-laws in VA this weekend and checked on here and saw lots of replies on my thread -- sweet! And I knew there would be at least one irritating SS reply but people love their SSes so much I guess they just need to holler it all the time ("Jim, have you prepared that deposition? Yes sir, it's on your desk, and have I told you much I like singlespeeding?").

Anyway the purpose of this was to show folks who haven't given their drivetrain a lot of thought that there's literally hundreds of different ways of setting up your bike somewhere between 27 and 1 gears. I want to find a steel rigid frame and make a 3-speeder with a coaster brake!

Top Bottom