**The Official Fred-ish Thread**

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run between 8-12psi on pavement with the fatty. What range do people run on a narrow road bike tire?

depends on the tires, some run as high as 120 . . . .others lower as mentioned (iv neer seen less than 90 in a road bike tire) but then i dont much care to invesitgate beyond what i use either . . .

qclabrat

View attachment 93688
Since @MissJR and @seanrunnette were so gracious to provide the sock model pose, it was worth discussing.
Let's discuss sock height:
As you can see, just at or below the calf muscle in basically every situation. If you are starting to cover the calf, you are approaching questionable territory. If you are a man and covering your calf, start to question all of your life choices (while not pictured here, @ArmyOfNone is an offender here). If you are a woman, you are approaching dumb girl sock height level, which is typically just below the knee. @Dominique in this picture is is mid-calf, but still below dumb girl sock height level, and I think she is ok. Keep in mind, Sean is actually wearing a 16" sock because he is very tall, which Miss Junior is wearing a 4" sock. So you have to experiment with what sock height gets you to that calf level.

Now we all know @Santapez tries to dress in a way to seem like he gave no thought. For this post, we are ignoring whatever he is wearing as a shirt. THANKFULLY he passed on wearing an MTBNJ jersey with ankle level socks. If you find that your kit includes ankle level sock and especially gym sock grey or 80's wool sock grey, it is an area for improvement.
glad you cleared things up on the socks so ankle socks only for road?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
veloviewer/strava says 51 coming down rilleyville towards wertzville. might have been a tailwind, but it was right in the middle of
the steepest section. also have a mid 40s on thatchers, and the back of round valley right after they paved.
the sandhill descent is fast. and it isn't a segment.

castners is steep but short.

qclabrat

Kevin,
I am looking to update my mtb kit, can you tell the proper combination of jerseys and shorts?
Most mtb jerseys I get seem too roomy and I'm getting the right size. Can you help me pick out the right tops which would make you proud?
I kinda like the look in the mtbnj sock montage of Joy and Jim's with the tighter tops and baggies. Pictures please to illustrate.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I remember t some point there were spd sandals...

They stopped existing? I loved mine. They were great for multi-day bike touring where you could be riding in torrential downpours and didn't want soggy shoes the next day.

Serious sock question. If you go for a ride and you're already wearing socks, are you purely swapping for your fashion?

I wear wool socks every day and it doesn't occur to me for any reason to switch when going from office to biking. Obviously trying to look cool to people dressed in spandex isn't a concern to me.

Mathers

They stopped existing? I loved mine. They were great for multi-day bike touring where you could be riding in torrential downpours and didn't want soggy shoes the next day.

Serious sock question. If you go for a ride and you're already wearing socks, are you purely swapping for your fashion?

I wear wool socks every day and it doesn't occur to me for any reason to switch when going from office to biking. Obviously trying to look cool to people dressed in spandex isn't a concern to me.
I ride with whatever I am wearing, which tends to be "Fred" ankle socks in the summer.
You have to post the picture from yesterday so @stb222 can judge everyone's sock game

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Kevin,
I am looking to update my mtb kit, can you tell the proper combination of jerseys and shorts?
Most mtb jerseys I get seem too roomy and I'm getting the right size. Can you help me pick out the right tops which would make you proud?
I kinda like the look in the mtbnj sock montage of Joy and Jim's with the tighter tops and baggies. Pictures please to illustrate.
Admittedly, this is kinda hard. I transitioned to baggies over the last two years for the mtb. I personally think that 3-pocket jerseys look / feel weird with baggies, as you have that elastic around the waist. However the downside of just a t-shirt style is lack of pockets. I do have bib liners with pockets, but it is another expenses, but I am close to buying a second pair.

Even the t-shirt style ones have varying fits, in Dakine, I need to size down but with Sombrio, I am my normal medium. You kinda just have to try stuff out.

Even with baggies, you have the bro baggies, like Dakine's and then ones like Club Ride, that have models that almost look like loose spandex. I origianlly started with the tighter cut baggies but now have pretty much gone full broduro.

The struggle is real.

I don't co-mingle riding socks and casual socks, mainly because however I walk I grind out the heels of socks, so I'd rather not do that my riding socks.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like a tight fitting jersey, but prefer baggy shorts. The ones I have are a slim fit, otherwise they get in the way. I wear a chamois liner underneath them.

qclabrat

Admittedly, this is kinda hard. I transitioned to baggies over the last two years for the mtb. I personally think that 3-pocket jerseys look / feel weird with baggies, as you have that elastic around the waist. However the downside of just a t-shirt style is lack of pockets. I do have bib liners with pockets, but it is another expenses, but I am close to buying a second pair.

Even the t-shirt style ones have varying fits, in Dakine, I need to size down but with Sombrio, I am my normal medium. You kinda just have to try stuff out.

Even with baggies, you have the bro baggies, like Dakine's and then ones like Club Ride, that have models that almost look like loose spandex. I origianlly started with the tighter cut baggies but now have pretty much gone full broduro.

The struggle is real.

I don't co-mingle riding socks and casual socks, mainly because however I walk I grind out the heels of socks, so I'd rather not do that my riding socks.
Solid intell
I've read on the interwebz of people throwing on Costco cargos on top of road shorts, thoughts?
Also is there a height restriction above the knee cap for shorts. Notice differences in drop heights
1556204887199.png

Top Bottom