The new Trail Forks App!

theranch

Have you tried it? How does it compare with Maprica?
No idea... but on first pass it looks like Maprika is tailored to skiers whereas the Trail Forks app is for mountain bikers.

App Features
- The largest database of mountain bike trails in the world, including thousands of biking related POI's
- Offline trail maps and info. Region updates are incremental and fast
- See your GPS location on the map, for trail navigation
- Display trail & route elevation profiles and 'scrub' along them to see the location on the map
- View local routes that local bikers have created
- View trail ridelogs from users and discover how to ride a new trail
- Automatic trail routing from your location (or nearest parking lot), to the trailhead of your choosing
- Sync and view your saved 'Ride Plans'
- Lookup region & trail info including routes, photos, videos & more
- View trail status & reports! Always be informed of up-to-date trail conditions & closures
- Submit trail reports & conditions from the app, including taking photos of trail issues
- Support the areas you ride, by donating 'Trail Karma'
- View nearby bike shops on the map, quick links for directions or phoning the shop

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just checked it out quick.. Clicked on Allaire. It was missing quite a few trails. Six Mile it only has the Red. That being said I don't need it for those trails but if I was going somewhere unfamiliar I think it would be the same and shortchange me. Maprica is a cooler app and has the real trail maps imposed on the GPS. Plus you can link up with your friends and follow each other on the trails. This is cool for some of the big parks if someone misses a turn.. You can see right where they are. I'll stick with Maprica for now but thanks for the heads up..

theranch

I just checked it out quick.. Clicked on Allaire. It was missing quite a few trails. Six Mile it only has the Red. That being said I don't need it for those trails but if I was going somewhere unfamiliar I think it would be the same and shortchange me. Maprica is a cooler app and has the real trail maps imposed on the GPS. Plus you can link up with your friends and follow each other on the trails. This is cool for some of the big parks if someone misses a turn.. You can see right where they are. I'll stick with Maprica for now but thanks for the heads up..
Just like Maprika, users have to add trails. You need locals to help build the database with the most accurate info. I've noticed that Allaire is missing trails when I view it on trailforks.com and the trail level info is incorrect (some trails marked as black diamond when they are clearly not).
You can use whatever you want and some are fine with using whatever they are used to.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just like Maprika, users have to add trails. You need locals to help build the database with the most accurate info. I've noticed that Allaire is missing trails when I view it on trailforks.com and the trail level info is incorrect (some trails marked as black diamond when they are clearly not).
You can use whatever you want and some are fine with using whatever they are used to.
No, you have to use what what I want you too.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maprika works on a totally different premise than most of the other "activity" apps. In Maprika, you basically just upload a pre-existing PDF, JPG, GIF of a map that already exists, then set some coordinate points and you are good to go. You can even take a picture of a printed map with your phone camera and use that. It is simple, but that is the only function it has (i.e. show your position on an image of a map). That is why there are so many Maprika maps available complete with all the trails.

Most other apps (like Trailforks) can bring much richer functionality, but it can take hours and hours and hours and hours and hours for to complete all of the trails in a park. Someone has to take the time to draw all those lines in.

Also check out MTB Project. It's sponsored by IMBA and is pretty good in areas where IMBA is active.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most other apps (like Trailforks) can bring much richer functionality, but it can take hours and hours and hours and hours and hours for to complete all of the trails in a park. Someone has to take the time to draw all those lines in.

And in the end, most people really only want a vague sense of where they are and where they need to go. This is why Maprika Mitch is right in choosing that app.

Anyone who can't survive with Maprika likely needs a guide to go out on the trails.

theranch

No, you have to use what what I want you too.

Maprika works on a totally different premise than most of the other "activity" apps. In Maprika, you basically just upload a pre-existing PDF, JPG, GIF of a map that already exists, then set some coordinate points and you are good to go. You can even take a picture of a printed map with your phone camera and use that. It is simple, but that is the only function it has (i.e. show your position on an image of a map). That is why there are so many Maprika maps available complete with all the trails.

Also check out MTB Project. It's sponsored by IMBA and is pretty good in areas where IMBA is active.

It doesn't take hours and hours to complete all the trails of the park. Just get someone to ride the trails using strava and then you can load that data into trailforks.com. From there you start setting up each trail. It's not hard at all and once it's done...it's done. Someone has already created some of the trails in Allaire for the trail forks site but they need to be updated. The skill level parameters are incorrect.

jumpa

looks like it has potential. so can we just start uploading gpx files to the app or website and then it gets shown to all users? approval time? cause im sure we can get all if not most of the local trails uploaded fairly quickly since they have mostly been ridden and recorded. i haven't dl'ed it yet so i don't know what the process is.

jerzey111

just started using it and wow, love it. elevation preview of each individual trails is awsome. plus users can add trails, i believe its much easier on the computer.

cdrmtbiker

I used this app out west and I think a lot of the more popular riding destinations are on there. I can't remember what trail system I used if for though. I know that was helpful so carry on.

Top Bottom