The new Metallica record...your thoughts...

sixseven

So one of the most anticipated records of the year is finally out. Is it good or is it sucking?

I gave it a few listens and cant say I was that thrilled about it. I was glad someone else bought it and brought it into work.
old rehashed riffs (lots of them though), more boring drumming from Lars (he needs to get some lessons and reinvent himself) , teen poem lyrics (love is a four letter word)...
It sounded totally uninspired to me, I can hear the effort but the magic just isn't there. Man I really wanted this to be a great record too...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So one of the most anticipated records of the year is finally out. Is it good or is it sucking?

I gave it a few listens and cant say I was that thrilled about it. I was glad someone else bought it and brought it into work.
old rehashed riffs (lots of them though), more boring drumming from Lars (he needs to get some lessons and reinvent himself) , teen poem lyrics (love is a four letter word)...
It sounded totally uninspired to me, I can hear the effort but the magic just isn't there. Man I really wanted this to be a great record too...

Damn... I was this ' ' close to buying it thursday at FYE...I am glad I didnt, I will wait to borrow it and see if I like it...I only listened to that song they had online...and I had some hope...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Ugh...sorry to hear this.

My teen/twenties staples are letting me down...the stuff I've heard off of the new AC/DC isn't floating thy boat either...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Come on.. All Nightmare Long does nothing for you?

I see where your coming from, but its much better then anything they have done in a long long time. I dig it. Its far from And Justice for All or Master, but still worthy of purchase...

sixseven

Ugh...sorry to hear this.

My teen/twenties staples are letting me down...the stuff I've heard off of the new AC/DC isn't floating thy boat either...

Yeah I heard a new one from AC/DC on the radio and they were sounding OLD OLD OLD! At least with them its not like you expect them to reinvent the wheel.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Yeah I heard a new one from AC/DC on the radio and they were sounding OLD OLD OLD! At least with them its not like you expect them to reinvent the wheel.

That'd be fine with me if it rocked like their old stuff. "Runaway Train"? "Stay still snore"... is more like it.

kimrey

I heard a track on the radio recently. I thought maybe Metallica was trying to make a point - if you're just going to download our Music illegally then we'll make music that isn't worth stealing, so there.

Loved them back in the day, but they're no longer relevant in my music world.

walter

Fourth Party
What? Norm likes the record?

I made a comment before, I don't know if it was deleted or if I screwed it up and never entered it. It was something like this-

Was there ever a band that was pretty rough for a few years, then went soft for 20 years and then came back with something that wasn't a disappointment?

I then went on to blame Lars for the state of the US economy

sixseven

I made a comment before, I don't know if it was deleted or if I screwed it up and never entered it. It was something like this-

Was there ever a band that was pretty rough for a few years, then went soft for 20 years and then came back with something that wasn't a disappointment?

I then went on to blame Lars for the state of the US economy

Lars is definetly a greed head from what I could see in 'Some Kind of Monster' and the whole Napster pooh fest before that. That movie was probably their best work since "And Justice for All". I thought it was even better than "Spinal Tap".
I am hoping that Van Halen will put out a record next year that can prove your 20 year rough/soft theory wrong.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am hoping that Van Halen will put out a record next year that can prove your 20 year rough/soft theory wrong.

I would be shocked to see that happen. It's not like they were on top of their game when DLR and VH split the first time. (At least IMO.)

sixseven

I would be shocked to see that happen. It's not like they were on top of their game when DLR and VH split the first time. (At least IMO.)
1984 was #2 behind Michael Jackson's Thriller...Jump was a #1 hit...They had just gotten a world record sum of a million dollars for performing at the US festival. You couldn't turn on MTV without seeing on of their videos playing.
All of the commercial success aside, it's a great record. They were at the peak of something at that time.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
There's nothing interesting about millionaires making metal. Same old formulaic crap. There's so much more interesting stuff going on today than that retro act- they should hang it up now before they completely destroy whatever reputation they were still hanging on to.

Speaking of good stuff today, anyone up for Protest the Hero/Unearth at Irving Plaza on Devil's Night, Oct 30th?

sixseven

There's nothing interesting about millionaires making metal. Same old formulaic crap. There's so much more interesting stuff going on today than that retro act- they should hang it up now before they completely destroy whatever reputation they were still hanging on to.

Speaking of good stuff today, anyone up for Protest the Hero/Unearth at Irving Plaza on Devil's Night, Oct 30th?

Had I known of your heathen tendencies I would have invited you to a show we put on a few blocks from your home:Inquisition, Krallice and Man Destroys Himself...we had a pig roast going too. Two nights before that we had Copremisis, S.M.E.S and some other goregrind band I can't remember the name of.

It could turn into a series so I will let you know about the next one.
You are right there is SOOO much more interesting stuff going on out there.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Kind of funny to hear formulaic crap and Unearth in the same reply.
The new metallica is ok, it almost erases the suck of St Anger.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1984 was #2 behind Michael Jackson's Thriller...Jump was a #1 hit...They had just gotten a world record sum of a million dollars for performing at the US festival. You couldn't turn on MTV without seeing on of their videos playing.
All of the commercial success aside, it's a great record. They were at the peak of something at that time.

The DaVinci Code was also a best seller but I would never consider it a great book. It merely means they were a commercial success. Given that Everybody Loves Raymond was a #1 show for so many years, what faith do we have in the quality of what people say is good? More people eat at the McDonalds in town than the 4 star Thai restuarant.

Funny you mention Jump, as the keyboard in that song has now come to represent to me the point in time at which they jumped the shark. I liked the album at the time but I was also 13. Now, I think it pales in comparison to everything else they did, except maybe Diver Down which was only marginally better. When I hear Jump on the radio I change the station. I will listen to Panama though. And I will admit that I would be intrigued by what might happen if they really work on an album. I would hope at the very least that it would be better than 2 glazed doughnuts and a bottle of anything. To go.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Kind of funny to hear formulaic crap and Unearth in the same reply.

To be honest, I'm only going for PTH, who are basically my most favorite band in the universe right now, with Mastodon running a close second. I just had to mention Unearth because they're the actual headliners. ;)

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
straight garbage. you cant reinvent a band that was once unstoppable by having rck rubin produce it. rick rubin produces masterpieces.... if he cant fix metallica than no one can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom