The new Metallica record...your thoughts...

xc62701

At least they are trying to go in the right direction. I got the album and was pretty excited about it to see if they can rebound from St. Aweful but there are maybe 2 songs that are pretty good. The others are just fillers it seems. The best thing is that since the new album is out XM has a mandatory Metallica station and all the classic albums have been spinning nonstop. That's great.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
one album i was very surprised about s the new slipknot. now ive ALWAYS hated this band, but the new record is pretty sold if you can get past the cheesy mask and what not

warcricket

Like a Jerk
To be honest, I'm only going for PTH, who are basically my most favorite band in the universe right now, with Mastodon running a close second. I just had to mention Unearth because they're the actual headliners. ;)

PTH FTW! i'm not to crazy about fortress, but kezia and a calculated use of sound are pure genius. the human abstract is also a pretty slick band when it comes to that genre.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
one album i was very surprised about s the new slipknot. now ive ALWAYS hated this band, but the new record is pretty sold if you can get past the cheesy mask and what not

slipknot has always been real good. never bought an album, probably because of the ridiculous getups, but always recognized them as good.

truth is I pretty much abandoned metal once i got into punk and hardcore around 19. only now do i find myself listening to SOU and NYU's Hell Hole and diggin metal again.

Mike679

Opeth. No better band in metal right now.

I actually like the new Metallica album except for one or two songs and I tend to like some pretty heavy shit.

lmckee

To be honest, I'm only going for PTH, who are basically my most favorite band in the universe right now, with Mastodon running a close second.

The last release from Mastodon that I thought was good was remission, and I even thought that the lifesblood ep was way better than remission. I've been listening to mostly doom/sludge type of stuff lately with some grind mixed in. As far as metal is concerned I've been liking stuff thats along the lines of Saviours, The Sword, Torche, etc. Oddly enough I'm pretty sure that The Sword is playing some dates with Metallica. As far as Metallica is concerned you won't find me listening to it unless it's pre black album.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Opeth is great. Thanks for the tip.

As a former college radio DJ, it's my job to hate mainstream bands. Take all my musical opinions with a grain of salt.

Mike679

whats the best album to approach opeth with?

Depends on what you're into. Blackwater Park is right in the middle of their discography. Anything prior to that is a little more on the black/death metal spectrum, anything after that is a bit more polished (more clean vocals, better production, etc). Damnation is a more mellow album, no growling vocals, very little distortion on guitars. You can always get the live album that came out a couple of years ago. That's got a good variety of songs from several records if you can stomach the between-songs dialogue. The past two albums are great too.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I keep trying to get into Opeth and I just can't :hmmm:....bunch of people rave about them... I got lots of stuff from them and I hardly ever listen to it..
[runs to give them another try]

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Just pulled down a few torrents of Opeth, and definitely liking it (Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries). I'm a sucker for anything prog (not just prog metal) and have a thing for Rick Wakeman, Muse, Fire Theft, PTH, and the like. Opeth fits the bill nicely.

Anyone use Last.fm to track their own personal charts?
http://www.last.fm/user/jbogner

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
seems like there should me a "metal" thread.... Opeth is sick.. especially Live

IMO... Chimaira and Lamb Of God are the definition of Metal.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've downloaded a few tracks off the new Metallica, I'm still on the fence, I WANT to like it, I really do. In 1986 when I first heard the Master of Puppets album, I went out and bought a guitar and have been playing ever since. In every band I've ever played in we always had a Metallica cover or 10. I just have a hard time accepting it's over, and has been over since the Black album. Maybe James needs to become a raging alcoholic again:hmmm:

I will also state that my 2 favorite bands in the world are "Between The Buried And Me" and "Dream Theater". Although the latter isn't that metal. On my short list is also Meshuggah, Candiria, Killswitch Engage, and I'll even admit I'm a big E-Town Concrete fan. And yes, Opeth is very good. I even like some of the more trendy "Nu-Metal" bands like Trivium, Shadows Fall and other bands that include the words dead, dies, dying, death, etc, etc, etc...

-Jim.

Mike679

Yes, that's it. I also think the wanting to like it thing comes into play. After the disppointment of the last three or so albums I really wanted something new that was actually good. The first three albums are indeed great, but after listening to them for the last 20+ years, you kind of want something new to get into for a while.

Metallica will always have a place in my heart, but the fact is that in today's music scene there are a good number of bands (many mentioned within this thread) that are simply putting out better and more inspired music.

Noticed that ESPN was playing clips from Death Magnetic last night on MNF going into commercials. Being a Jets fan sucks, but that is for another thread...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've downloaded a few tracks off the new Metallica, I'm still on the fence, I WANT to like it, I really do. In 1986 when I first heard the Master of Puppets album, I went out and bought a guitar and have been playing ever since. In every band I've ever played in we always had a Metallica cover or 10. I just have a hard time accepting it's over, and has been over since the Black album. Maybe James needs to become a raging alcoholic again:hmmm:

I will also state that my 2 favorite bands in the world are "Between The Buried And Me" and "Dream Theater". Although the latter isn't that metal. On my short list is also Meshuggah, Candiria, Killswitch Engage, and I'll even admit I'm a big E-Town Concrete fan. And yes, Opeth is very good. I even like some of the more trendy "Nu-Metal" bands like Trivium, Shadows Fall and other bands that include the words dead, dies, dying, death, etc, etc, etc...

-Jim.

Candiria? NICE. Sick band. Ive seen them more then i can count on both hands. Too bad they got rich...

Wobbegong

I've been listening to a lot of Metal lately. Cryptopsy, Immortal and Circle of Dead Children have been in the mix. Cryptopsy is an amazing band.

Top Bottom