The Long Run 2014

KStwenty1

So last year I did "My quest for 3000" which was a huge personal success for me. Cycling has taken me to places I never thought I'd go.....at least not a bike. Many of those places I promised myself to revisit and also take those rides even further....to boldly go where no bike has gone before---ok that was stupid ;)

I've decided this year I'd begin a new quest to fill in what I've dreamed about doing all last year. This thread will be my journal of long distance rides and journeys. I'm looking for your help and suggestions by asking you for your favorite rides and stories of places you've been cycling so that I could explore them as we'll. I'll do my best to do as many as these as I can and tell you about them. I'd also appreciate the company along the way.

I've met a lot of awesome folks last year and have made some good friendships as a result. I look forward to seeing you out there again this year and hope to ride with as many of you as possible.

Happy Riding!!

Last edited:
One of the many rides I have planned this year is
The Longest Day on June 14. This will most likely be the longest ride I will do this year. If I could get it done in under 16 hours I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Looking forward to getting out with you soon. Not sure what the summer schedule is going to be like, but we'll figure something out.

sounds like good plans for the year.

if you are looking for an awesome long destination ride, my wife and I did this ride as a 2 day bike tour this past fall, but it can easily be made into a long day. I dont do a ton of road riding, but this was hands down the best road riding ive ever done. just plan it on a clear weather day.

http://goo.gl/maps/BAkD0

enjoyed your other "blog"/thread - so I know this one will be spectacular! looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Nice to see you are back. I recommend covered bridges plus to and from.

Are you doing HOH?

Nice to see you are back. I recommend covered bridges plus to and from.

Are you doing HOH?

Give the date to cover bridges, want to make sure lady and I are on that for this year.

The longest day has/was on my list too but the way way things are going not so sure.

Give the date to cover bridges, want to make sure lady and I are on that for this year.

The longest day has/was on my list too but the way way things are going not so sure.

I'm doing the Longest Day for sure. I've only heard of HOH and will look into doing that as well.

I've read up on the HOH ride held on March 22. There are no open spots for this ride. I'll hit this next year for sure. With that said I have a few questions about this ride. Does this ride beat up your equipment? Are the off-asphalt sections long? Tell me more!

For some reason I thought you lived in the sourlands and was baffled you didn't know about HOH. Now that I see you live in p-away, I understand.

Anyways, HOH gained in popularity as a tune up to Battenkill and now sells out every year and the field keeps getting bigger. The dirt roads on the course are mostly in really good condition and are at there prime at this time of year. Similar to trails, the conditions are very dependent on weather conditions. If it is dry, your bike gets covered in dust, if it is frozen, it is almost no different than pavement yet some of the roads have larger rocks and one almost quarter stone (rocktown in the sourlands scan SAD) and when they are wet, you can just imagine. This is one of my favorite rides of the year as it is my home roads.

Covered Bridges is a very large ride in October. Lots of climbing and pristine roads with all but no traffic. The last two years I rode to and from for my longest ride of the year.

http://www.cbbikeclub.org/covered-bridges/covered-bridges-ride

"Covered Bridges Ride
Sunday, October 19, 2014

This is THE premier cycling event in scenic Bucks County. Held each year on a beautiful Sunday with the gorgeous fall colors shouting out, the CBR, as our members call it, is our best event ever.

You have five great routes to choose from -- the family-friendly 20 and 30 mile routes (both use the towpath along the Delaware river, which is a fine-cinder and hardpacked dirt trail, for part of the ride), or the hillier 33, 50 or 63 mile ones (all on paved roads) -- plus plenty of great food. Travel through up to six historic covered bridges.

Fatter tired bikes work best on the cinder-based paths for the 20 and 30 mile routes, which visit one or two bridges. The rides conclude with a Grande Finale Picnic.

Rides start and end at Tinicum Park, along the shores of the Delaware River. Join 2000 riders from all over the northeastern United States and ride through some of the most beautiful areas in this part of the world."

Not a bad weekend! Saturday I was able to live up to my old shenanigans by touring the upper half of Somerset county. I did 40 miles but cramped up real bad around mile 33. This one was pretty painful so I stopped for food and drink which I thought did the trick but as soon as I started out, my left leg cramped up as well. Sunday I was able ride home from Mt. Olive. A friend told me a nice route through Menham an Peapack-Gladstone but as I got down that way I must've made a wrong turn an wound up on 206 which was not what I wanted. Anyway next time I'll study up a little better and make a cue sheet or whatever.

A few more rides on the list this year:

Last year Goodvibe(Andy) and I did the entire D&R canal path from Piscataway to Trenton to French town which was a blast!
This year him and I will be doing the rest of the East Coast Greenway north of Piscataway to NY. I say "we" because he doesn't know it yet! :) this will be a summer thing.

A couple more....
The Columbia Trail
Patriots Path
The Longest Day(I know I've already mentioned this one)
Jersey Shore Tour de Cure
Ride to the Poconos May 3
Moonlight ride on the Canal Path(summer)
Covered bridges ride in October
Jim V's ride to Sandy Hook and back(I'll have to actually ask him first)
That's about all I can think of right now, more to come!

I would highly suggest the canal moonlight ride with leaf off conditions, you would actually benefit from the moonlight. This leaves April, November and December. April may be your best bet.

I would highly suggest the canal moonlight ride with leaf off conditions, you would actually benefit from the moonlight. This leaves April, November and December. April may be your best bet.

For the past two years I have done this in December. I was just thinking how cool it would be in the summer, maybe go for a dip in the river too.

May 3 doing the 100 mile Farmlands tour. Everyone has told me how much fun this is so I'm going for it....but this puts off my Pocono ride to the following weekend. Greyrider has put together a simplified cue sheet for this Pocono ride and will post it soon. It's roughly 88 miles and hilly, finishing off with a roller coaster of hills. Looks to be fun as we've driven this course this past weekend(at least to Saylorsburg PA.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom