The Kamakazi Ground Hog Is Back.......

Madness

So the kamakazi ground hog has moved to the Canal Rd. side right before the big water cross towards the end of blue trail. He jumped out at me while I was blazing through the trail trying to keep speed for the water crossing. Scared the living shit out of me. Thanks to my newly found skill of panic bunny hopping a mt. bike I avoided a certin death by said rodent.

So I must say be aware of the kamakazi gate keeper ground hog, cause it is obviously not his first attack and won't be his last.

Yesterday must have been wildlife day cause I also had a fox for a trail guide for a good 100 yards or so before he darted off into the woods.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I had a owl fly down the trail about a foot in front of my bars one day.

It was super trippy as I was sort of drafting him. He must have been freaking out as he was in the blast of my HID light.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Great soil conditions last night.

We have been scouting a new section that I know will impress. I am pretty stoked about it actually.

JJ_

sixseven

I was out there yesterday and it was so much fun, fast too. Thats an awesome network of trails out there, lots of fun stuff. Really good stuff.

I think I saw the suicide groundhog prepping for his ambush.
I also saw a fox, a gigantic one, medium dog sized and very very long on a long straight section by the short scrubby pines.

Went with my girlfriend and had a blast. Only her second ride... First one was from the top of Mt. Tam in Marin county California (the birthplace of the 'mountain bike' according to the KLUNKERZ movie)!

I figured after the Mt. Tam run she would be spoiled but she was into the 6 mile trails and tore it up. Very much looking forward to more riding out there and getting in on the next TM!

Madness

Has anybody else had some trouble with a partictular root section in one of the switchback corners right after the first clearing from the 27 side? There is a slick root running right through the middle of the trail in a corner that has taken me out at least 4 times already, it's the same spot every time. It runs across the trail and makes my rear tire wash out every time. It even took out one of the guys during our group ride early last month. I know there is nothing that can be done with it but it kills my confidence every time for the rest of the ride. Just wondering if it's just me cause it's so early into the ride.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Has anybody else had some trouble with a partictular root section in one of the switchback corners right after the first clearing from the 27 side? There is a slick root running right through the middle of the trail in a corner that has taken me out at least 4 times already, it's the same spot every time. It runs across the trail and makes my rear tire wash out every time. It even took out one of the guys during our group ride early last month. I know there is nothing that can be done with it but it kills my confidence every time for the rest of the ride. Just wondering if it's just me cause it's so early into the ride.

i remember someone getting stuck but i can't really put my finger of the particular feature...
i say just go faster:D

D

DANSPANK

or if you can't hop then just try to roll over it - if you're not pedalling or trying to turn then you won't lose grip.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
finally saw the groundhog, yay i feel special! also had a fun time racing a fox today for a solid two minuets before he cut through the twisties, cheater.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Saw the little feller...

yesterday afternoon - twice - once on the way out, and again on the way back. Both times, the fat little guy darted from the brush along the field directly in front of me and into the woods, chirping angrily the whole time. Funny that neither of us were smart enough to learn to expect the other one.

Trails were in awesome shape - maybe even a bit too dry.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
yesterday afternoon - twice - once on the way out, and again on the way back. Both times, the fat little guy darted from the brush along the field directly in front of me and into the woods, chirping angrily the whole time. Funny that neither of us were smart enough to learn to expect the other one.

Trails were in awesome shape - maybe even a bit too dry.

i saw him too yesterday morning - i get a kick out of this guy. maybe we should get him a jersey?

trails were great yesterday. actually dusty in some spots.

Madness

i saw him too yesterday morning - i get a kick out of this guy. maybe we should get him a jersey?

trails were great yesterday. actually dusty in some spots.

If we do make him the official gate keeper I am not paying his toll to cross the water. He better accept EZ-Pass or he can just send me the $25.00 ticket in the mail

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Rode this afternoon

I rode the blue trail all the way out and back this afternoon - starting from the canal. The trails were super-dry hardpack - turning to loose-over-hardpack in places. Great fun - averaged 9.3 mph, which is pretty good for me. I also tried out my new Garmin handheld. Yay!

Didn't see the groundhog, but I did see the fox and two deer.

ellbiddy

I was out there today too (maybe it was you I ran into on the 27 side ;p) I think I saw the same fox. I diverted off to the yellow trail a bit and that was still a mucky mess at parts.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Maybe so...

Were you riding a Trek? If so, that was me near the powerlines at around 1:00.

ellbiddy

Yeah I was with a white fork, I managed to splurge out a hello laste minute because I was staring at my tire, thought I had a flat in the rear I guess you drive the black mazda with the roof racks then because when I made it to the canal parking lot it was the only car with bike equipment there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions