The July 31/31 Classic p/b Halter's, JORBA, & MTBNJ

Shaggz

A strong 7
So, I went to Pebble Beach last week to ride bikes, but heard the golf was OK. And that officially derailed my 21+

20210718_204543.jpg

20210720_075909.jpg

Still plugging away because this is the most days I can recall riding in a month:

iman29

Rode my bike today. Skipped the ramble ride thanks to the lack of feeling prepared to ride 100 miles and very little sleep the last week after being sick.

Decided to connect with a friend and leave early to ride some extra and then ride the Saturday shop ride to which only 2 other people showed since everyone else was at the Ramble.

One of the 2 extras was new to the shop rides, didn’t load the route in his Garmin and didn’t really know the area. We had a very polite conversation about distance and pace and he had good self awareness to tell us that we should go ride what we planned and not to worry.

The 3 of us set off at a decent clip on the usual loop. What a perfect weather day and it was nice to just ride without having to try and do the equivalent of herding cats for a change as ride leader.

On the way back we were on some of the Ramble 100 loop which pretty much went past my block. I take my one buddy back towards the shop via a shortcut since he was getting tired and we see a guy in the side of the road with a day glo vest on the opposite side of the road. I thought he was a ride Marshall for the ramble until I saw it was the local “hybrid cruiser” guy Dave and he had a flat tire. This is the same guy a few months back that left his bike behind in my neighborhood and drove home without it but I posted it on FB and someone called him and I got it back to him back then.

We whipped around and he has a brand new Trek Verve but no tools and no flat kit. And no idea how to change it. We moved off to a shady spot under a tree and used some of the park tool glueless patches to get him back on the road instead of walking 2 miles to his car. I added an extra loop to top off at 65 and was still home by 10:30 before all 3 teenagers were awake.

AE8CF70C-587E-487B-8403-1645DE7FEC8C.jpeg
3E8C419A-8AAF-47C9-B8B9-D6D7D423F28C.jpeg
507AC958-5D99-494B-B792-76D5330104FC.jpeg
FCB9515C-F356-44D4-8A57-85B6157CF518.jpeg

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
24/31
Rode to chimney rock from home. Felt pretty good on the way there. It was my first time there this year and it showed once I got on the trail. We didn’t finish before dark so we ended up riding part of blue with moonlight as our guide to get back out to the road. I say we rode, but it was more like hike a bike to not die for me. The ride home was pleasant. The weather was great and it was relatively quiet out there on the return trip home.

https://strava.app.link/ZMO6wBIraib
1627177810822.png

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
24/31

Decided to take @clarkenstein 's advice and hit up Duke Estate with the wife. Very cool sites and even got to see the Great Falls show.

I can't believe that we have never been here. Thanks Dave!

Dukeing It Out on the SS with LA
Rounding out the Hour
Cool spot, right? I hit all the gravel paths while
I am there on top of the roads. Did you get a chance to stop in the meditation garden? No bikes are allowed in there but it’s a nice spot to just sit and relax.

xc62701

Day 24
Usually this would be an ordinary day but 11 years ago my life should have ended. Boom. Dead. Done. Somehow I survived that day and I’m still here. I rode the monarch crest trail in CO and had a pulmonary embolism on 7/24/10 and I should have been gone. I got to the hospital in Durango, Colorado quickly and Dr. Julie Pysklo saved my life. Within 3 days of heavy blood thinners my lungs had beginning functioning again and I was alive. No matter what happens to me, that’s when life started for me. The next year I got married, got a dog, and soon after 2 kids followed. No matter what happens, I’m on borrowed time. I am always thankful for anything good that has transpired after that fateful day.

https://strava.app.link/nvofCHZvaib
1627181513423.png

July Total
Time: 46:35 hrs
Distance: 623.3 mi
Climbing: 32,859 ft
Beers: 59

Last edited:

Ian F

Day 24 - Some Fredrick Watershed punishment

While I do enjoy riding at the Shed, it is a hell of a drive there and back. The plan was to do a fairly long ride, shuttling from the bottom to the top and then hitting up some of the spicier trails near the bottom. Steve had been given the impression from his wife that Rich was in better shape. It turned out that while he has been riding a fair amount lately, there's a difference between "riding a lot on local trails" and "riding at the Shed." A big difference. The 3 Saws climb was a slog. So when we got back to the top, Rich was done so he and Brian bailed at the shuttle truck and Steve and I continued on to some of the tech trails - mainly Soccer Mom and Reanimator. While I have ridden the Soccer Mom trail a few times, we took some of the side-options that our usual ride leader avoids. Thee include a number of technical drops and rock slabs. Fun stuff. From there, we headed to Reanimator - which is more of the same, only sometimes steeper (and sometimes uphill).

Unfortunately, I didn't get as many pictures as I was hoping to... :confused:

At the start, when hopes were still high...
1627186513172.png

Everything is pretty sore right now... So after Hardline on Sunday, my thinking is a moderate road ride.

Pagliacci

Another long work day, it was getting dark before I could ride. Lights were dead, phone battery probably too low to record a whole ride. Plugged everything in and fought like hell to not fall asleep while they charged.

Tough to get started, but 10 minutes in I was loving it. I'll need to strongly remember that feeling when it gets tough after the 31st.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/yWVRWv5Gaib

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Cool spot, right? I hit all the gravel paths while
I am there on top of the roads. Did you get a chance to stop in the meditation garden? No bikes are allowed in there but it’s a nice spot to just sit and relax.
We didn't stop at the meditation garden, looked like there were tons of people in there so we passed.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Another long work day, it was getting dark before I could ride. Lights were dead, phone battery probably too low to record a whole ride. Plugged everything in and fought like hell to not fall asleep while they charged.

Tough to get started, but 10 minutes in I was loving it. I'll need to strongly remember that feeling when it gets tough after the 31st.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/yWVRWv5Gaib
If you would have rode for another hour you would have been done for today too!
Nice job.

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom