The Joy of Mountain Biking

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I watched the video. My language skills are poor (nor as poor as my biking skills, yet close enough), but to me the video sounded pretty much like 'this is how you get over the log, pay attention...you get over the log. Done!'. Your explanation seems more complete. But again, I'm OOS.
I was try to go for the Thrahser tip tricks of the 80’s where it said “pop tail, do trick, land” lol

@Patrick in the video I said to do a slight pedal kick but when I actually did them, I didn’t need to pedal kick because it wasn’t high enough. For this height, if you go really slow, a pedal kick will help. Essentially you use the standard pull up like you are going to manual technique to get the front wheel up.

I will do another one on how to get onto ledges, which is pretty much the same technique but you can rely on the front wheel more since it won’t be dropping off the other side. Typical with ledges, a pedal kick helps.

Kaleidopete

Notes, yes I am using clips, but the motions all work with flats. The first, slow one, probably uses the clips the most, but the faster ones, probably not much. Also, the two faster clips should be reversed order and on the faster ones I didn't get on top of the log with my rear wheel so much......but YOLO.

Also, this method is by far the least amount of energy to get over a log. Bunnyhopping is a ton of energy and it puts into question where your front and rear wheel are going to land. This methods lets you put your front wheel exactly where you want it and take very little energy as you are letting momentum do most of the work.

That's kind of like a magic trick! Pretty cool. Just like lots of magicians can do magic tricks, I guess lots of bikers can jump logs like that. but to me it still looks like a trick. Bravo!:eek:

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
nice, thats a pretty nice gain in only 6 weeks (did i remember that correctly?)
it was a 6 week FTP builder program which i started at the end of December so that i could complete it before Monster Cross... but remember that i did a bunch of zwift rides prior to the program... especially some ass kickers with @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST . The previous ramp test (for that 136 number) was Dec. 14. maybe that 136 was a little low to start with? but overall, i have been feeling better and stronger on the bike. i even got me a QOM over at the tourne :)

ETA: I'm considering doing another workout program on zwift... the Absa Cape Epic workout... i did a few rides already.. but i'll restart it after my vacation

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is your W/kg?
Has to be over 2.0
giphy.gif

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i wouldn't normally suggest asking any woman her weight, but i believe i've mentioned it in this thread previously.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like how i totally brought up my new FTP before I even mentioned the really big stuff.

So I think many of you already know... but Steve and I got MARRIED!!! And on Leap Day to boot! He only has to remember our anniversary 25% of the time!

It was a very small affair at a wonderful local restaurant with our parents and siblings... and some very tall guy with a mustache officiating the whole deal:

dtn2bMSQ.jpg

So if you're counting, that's over 10 years dating with only 3 weeks of engagement. ?‍♀️ i just roll with it. ?

we also had a trip to sedona in the planning stages with some other people but that group trip thing fell thru, so now it's just me and steve (honeymoon!) and we're hitting up the grand canyon too! and, of course, we're bringing bikes.

IMG_20200308_222540.jpg

can you spot the MTBNJ and Halter's jerseys?

corona virus be damned!

as for races coming up, still not sure about mayhem. i'll wait to register until i get back in case i'm just too damn tired to deal with it. but i know for sure i will be doing the MTBNJ Stewart race... which is currently being discussed behind the scenes. but i feel pretty good on the bike lately. i may still be DFL in all my races, but whatever. overall tho, i think i should at least be more competitive than last year.

anyway... that's it for now... just a quick update... and a random cat pic:

IMG_20200221_075024.jpg

happy monday!

serviceguy

I like how i totally brought up my new FTP before I even mentioned the really big stuff.

So I think many of you already know... but Steve and I got MARRIED!!! And on Leap Day to boot! He only has to remember our anniversary 25% of the time!

It was a very small affair at a wonderful local restaurant with our parents and siblings... and some very tall guy with a mustache officiating the whole deal:

View attachment 121214

So if you're counting, that's over 10 years dating with only 3 weeks of engagement. ?‍♀️ i just roll with it. ?

we also had a trip to sedona in the planning stages with some other people but that group trip thing fell thru, so now it's just me and steve (honeymoon!) and we're hitting up the grand canyon too! and, of course, we're bringing bikes.

View attachment 121215

can you spot the MTBNJ and Halter's jerseys?

corona virus be damned!

as for races coming up, still not sure about mayhem. i'll wait to register until i get back in case i'm just too damn tired to deal with it. but i know for sure i will be doing the MTBNJ Stewart race... which is currently being discussed behind the scenes. but i feel pretty good on the bike lately. i may still be DFL in all my races, but whatever. overall tho, i think i should at least be more competitive than last year.

anyway... that's it for now... just a quick update... and a random cat pic:

View attachment 121216

happy monday!

What?!?! Congratulations! Sorry I did not congratulate you in person last Saturday, I was completely unaware, duh! Also immensely cool to get married on a Leap Day! And small weddings are the best, only two people needed at a wedding are bride and groom (I guess you need the minister too), the money for a reception is better spent on the two of you. Enjoy the honeymoon! Did I say congratulations?

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
hope everyone is doing well! i'm stuck inside a lot for work... not complaining that i have the fortune to work from home, but it is very isolating. i guess this is the new normal.

so... some updates:

honeymoon! so our original (pre-wedding/engagment) plans were to hit up sedona with some peeps but that fell thru. we still had the time off so we decided to turn it into our honeymoon! yay! until it rained almost the whole week in sedona. so we adjusted our plans and spent some of the rainy time doing museums and stuff in phoenix. but i've never been to the grand canyon so we got a room at the Yavapai Lodge and headed up there in the rain. the skies cleared up just before we got there so we did the "hike" around the rim (it's flat and paved), took in some of the views and planned to hike down into the canyon the next day.

IMG_20200312_153738.jpg

2020-03-12 15.21.18.jpg

how amazing is this place?! i'm always in awe of what the world has to offer. we did our little rim hike, got some food and checked into our room.... then we woke up to snow and ice the next morning.

IMG_20200313_075227.jpg

still beautiful but not the conditions we were prepared to hike in. ah well. C'est la vie. we are actually talking about prepping for a rim to rim hike next time we go (because i really really really want to go back).... like in 2021 at this rate. anyway we headed back to phoenix in the rain. dry heat my ass.

IMG_20200313_125541.jpg

eventually everything worked out and we got a hike (more like scrambling up giant boulders) in at camelback mountain (i couldn't walk properly for days after that... now steve wants me to add squats to my exercise routine) and then a couple of rides in in the phoenix area. just watch out for the cactus! we brought our own bikes with us which was nice.

IMG_20200314_141529.jpg

BTW i love the trail markers they have there

IMG_20200315_152258.jpg

anyway... so we made it back to NJ in time before all the corona shit went down. we were talking about maybe just staying a few extra days but then between the cost and the shut downs here, we decided to come on back to reality. and here we are... stuck in my "office" for however long this fucking thing lasts.

i would be talking about some of the races i plan to do... but... that ain't happening. i was on the fence about mayhem and interested in the enduro at ringwood but both have been postponed. i doubt stewart is happening. and then there was riverrock in richmond but, even if it still happens, there's no way i'm going down there this year to go to a sporting festival.

i feel like i haven't been riding much since my new FTP but i hopped on zwift last night and started the Absa Cape Epic workout. i did a few of the workouts before but wasn't planning on committing to the plan at the time. i felt pretty good on the bike last night tho. i think i'm going to kick ass at the next race i do... whenever that might be.

hope everyone is staying safe and healthy... and sane!

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_100143.jpg
    IMG_20200316_100143.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So to add to Joy's comments before:

-Rim 2 Rim planned for early October. Who's in?
-Joy needs to do squats. Holy crap Camelback Mountain in Phoenix is a must-do and really hard. I figured since it's a popular spot within the city it would be an easy stroll, definitely not. I actually hurt myself pretty good on the descent a few minutes I saw some woman go down. Turns out a few hours after we left someone had a 300lb boulder roll over them and they had to be air lifted out.

Top Bottom