The Joy of Mountain Biking

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
only lately? :rolleyes: 🤔

some days are better than others. right now, i'm stressed and extremely annoyed.

i am very good at my job... like really good and i like doing this work.... but certain people just don't make it easy. i'm coming up on celebrating 15 years at this job (if you combine time at the "old" company H- and this "new" company G- which bought H- a year ago) and i have never felt so micro-managed as much as i have this past year.

Last edited:

serviceguy

only lately? :rolleyes: 🤔

Only at work?

1pkrkg.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I often struggle with this. I find it hard to believe that dumb people are everywhere. It just makes no sense. If that's the case, most of our friends & family are morons.

So it begs the question, what is the issue? I think there are a few things going on.

1. People don't have the time to do things right
2. People are lazy, which is different than dumb
3. When it comes down to it, most of the above people want to CYA
4. I think these 3 things together add up to people over-offering opinions that are not well-thought out, or doing a half-ass job because they feel they need to.

However, there are some people that are morons.

serviceguy

I often struggle with this. I find it hard to believe that dumb people are everywhere. It just makes no sense. If that's the case, most of our friends & family are morons.

So it begs the question, what is the issue? I think there are a few things going on.

4. I think these 3 things together add up to people over-offering opinions that are not well-thought out, or doing a half-ass job because they feel they need to.

Are we being serious? I personally think it mostly comes down to accountability. I base this belief on my personal experience, yours may vary from that.

Your boss makes dumb decisions because at the end of the day he's not the one that will have to work the extra hours to fix it.

Politician makes dumb decisions because they know they don't affect them personally (at least within their life span) so they don't care.

The guy that cuts to the front of the line knows that besides a bunch of people yelling at him nobody is going to confront him with serious consequences because it's not worth getting arrested to teach manners to a moron.

There's a number of people that keep doing the right thing because...it's the right thing (or whatever they think it's the right thing, there's that too but I guess is material for another rant). Call it ethics, call it what you want. I feel that crowd is getting thinner though.

So yeah, I think dumb people are everywhere but that doesn't mean that all people are dumb.

I'm dumb.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Dumb is relative too. A dumb person in the northeast is probably the smartest person in some town in Kansas.

one piece crank

Yes, I do like to see the best in people. We have a new guy at work. Memory is not his strong point, at all. I give him cheat-cheats, and hope things will improve. That and taking two days off to hit skate parks at the Shore - that always helps (me).

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so... to bring it back to me... since this is my blog and all...

there are a few factors i acknowledge making my stress worse:
  • i now work for a new company: my old company was like 35 employees. we were all in one office. we could literally yell across the room to get someone's attention. and some of us hung out after work. the new company (old company was bought out) is a few different offices across the U.S and in the UK which makes yelling across the room and hanging out with co-workers after work more difficult.... not to mention it's an entirely different structure with VPs of blah blah blah and way more middle-management types who talk in unnecessary lingo containing multiple abbreviations for words and phrases that don't need special lingo. do you really need to say 3Q for third quarter?
  • COVID: i mean everyone seems to be WFH for at least some time during this shit storm and i am STILL working from home and will continue to be WFH throughout the summer... possibly into the fall. Why is this bad? It's not in terms of commuting and doing fun things after work. BUT we transitioned to new company during this whole time and it's been a year of still learning the ins and outs of their procedures and who is who and who does what. PLUS they still haven't clarified the permanent WFH schedule.... only saying they're open to flex schedule in the future. what the hell does that mean? WFH for a year so far (and counting) and i'm in limbo as to whether i will ever see the office again or if/when it's possible to even consider buying a place or moving.
  • my supervisor: we are the same age... but we are two extremely different people with two very different approaches to everything. she is also new to some of responsibilities that come with her position... so my guess is that her personality + COVID/WFH + new job responsibilities = micro-managing the fuck out of me. maybe she wants to make sure she looks extra important. maybe she's worried about being expendable. maybe she likes the control. maybe a combination of all those things. all i just want to do is my job and not have someone do things like email me and then 30 seconds later slack message me asking if i got the email... or telling me what pages to put things on as if i don't understand the significance of an "A" story. it's tiring.
anyway, there's lots of other little things which i will not go into because it just gets into whining territory. i have good days and i have stressful days. everyone does. i'm hoping for a bit of a recharge with the grand canyon/phoenix/flagstaff trip this year.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PLUS they still haven't clarified the permanent WFH schedule.... only saying they're open to flex schedule in the future.

this is the same stance my company has taken, i understand your frustration, we would like to move somewhere with more space where we dont have to smell our neighbors smoking pot 4-5 times a day,

my wifes company is a little more forthcoming where they expect some large percentage (80% or something like that) will never see the office again, they havent said which positions will be 100% WFH, so not really that helpfull

just sharing so you know that you are not alone in some of this.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so... to bring it back to me... since this is my blog and all...

there are a few factors i acknowledge making my stress worse:
  • i now work for a new company: my old company was like 35 employees. we were all in one office. we could literally yell across the room to get someone's attention. and some of us hung out after work. the new company (old company was bought out) is a few different offices across the U.S and in the UK which makes yelling across the room and hanging out with co-workers after work more difficult.... not to mention it's an entirely different structure with VPs of blah blah blah and way more middle-management types who talk in unnecessary lingo containing multiple abbreviations for words and phrases that don't need special lingo. do you really need to say 3Q for third quarter?
  • COVID: i mean everyone seems to be WFH for at least some time during this shit storm and i am STILL working from home and will continue to be WFH throughout the summer... possibly into the fall. Why is this bad? It's not in terms of commuting and doing fun things after work. BUT we transitioned to new company during this whole time and it's been a year of still learning the ins and outs of their procedures and who is who and who does what. PLUS they still haven't clarified the permanent WFH schedule.... only saying they're open to flex schedule in the future. what the hell does that mean? WFH for a year so far (and counting) and i'm in limbo as to whether i will ever see the office again or if/when it's possible to even consider buying a place or moving.
  • my supervisor: we are the same age... but we are two extremely different people with two very different approaches to everything. she is also new to some of responsibilities that come with her position... so my guess is that her personality + COVID/WFH + new job responsibilities = micro-managing the fuck out of me. maybe she wants to make sure she looks extra important. maybe she's worried about being expendable. maybe she likes the control. maybe a combination of all those things. all i just want to do is my job and not have someone do things like email me and then 30 seconds later slack message me asking if i got the email... or telling me what pages to put things on as if i don't understand the significance of an "A" story. it's tiring.
anyway, there's lots of other little things which i will not go into because it just gets into whining territory. i have good days and i have stressful days. everyone does. i'm hoping for a bit of a recharge with the grand canyon/phoenix/flagstaff trip this year.
tenor.gif

FWIW, I have a new manager that basically wants to destroy anything that existed before him, including the employees. So, I feel your pain...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why is this bad?

WFH is great and all. I mean I have been doing it for what, 6 years now? I like it.

However.

I find that it gives people too much rope to not pay attention. We literally have guys on calls say things like, "Well what about X?"...and I mean this happened the other day and we had just talked about X for like 5 minutes, but only 10 minutes ago. Thankfully HIS teammates pretty much blasted him for not paying attention.

But I see that a lot, with my own coworkers and the clients. Kinda blows but this is the new normal.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
all i just want to do is my job and not have someone do things like email me and then 30 seconds later slack message me asking if i got the email

My last job was at a small company that got acquired. I worked there for almost ten years before the acquisition, and about 1.5 years after. We had a string of bosses at the new company, the last of which one time sent me an email and then walked over to my desk to tell me that he sent me an email. I knew I was going to leave for about a year before this happened, but this single event greatly expedited the process.

serviceguy

No
My last job was at a small company that got acquired. I worked there for almost ten years before the acquisition, and about 1.5 years after. We had a string of bosses at the new company, the last of which one time sent me an email and then walked over to my desk to tell me that he sent me an email. I knew I was going to leave for about a year before this happened, but this single event greatly expedited the process.
Ah, I thought that was normal. Only difference with WFH is that now when my boss sends me an e-mail I get a Skype call from him right after he sent it instead of a walk in. 13 years of this and counting, and thinking I wanted to fly back to the old country after a week... never underestimate your own resilience! There are positives off course.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Ah, I thought that was normal. Only difference with WFH is that now when my boss sends me an e-mail I get a Skype call from him right after he sent it instead of a walk in. 13 years of this and counting, and thinking I wanted to fly back to the old country after a week... never underestimate your own resilience! There are positives off course.

This is my favorite, stack on top of it getting that email at 4pm on friday, with a status request on monday morning at 8am. Guy, I've had 30 working minutes to address this fuck your, "I sent you an email 3 days ago where are we." On top of that he got that email at 11am the day before...

thegock

My client may be entering the "Death Spiral," which I have seen a number of companies not endure. It helps to have no real skin in the game and to get paid in "...straight cash, homie."

The chairman is under indictment in the Southern District. The #3 told the team today that he is leaving at the end of the month. He is the guy who I ask for a name or a date or a number once a week. Financial results are grim for the last three years. My "direct supervisor," the "Hamburglar" is a lazy idiot, who is technically deficient and a congenital bullshitter.

That being said, I told one of my oldest friends that I should give the Hamburglar $10k in cash, because he is the reason for probably six months of work for the client. Management does not trust him to get work done, so I do parts of his job. It's kind of a quandry. Rationally, I should be ever so thankful for Hamburglar's existence. But I have no respect for his style, which makes it difficult. I guess the lesson is that if someone else doesn't shine it helps you do so?

And 'trenchant' was a good word, Leo. Doe, Kevin was right about intellectual geography. I work with a lot of national accounting firms. Outside of NYC, there are quite a few solid teams in offices like Philly, LA, Chicago, DC and a few others, but there are hundreds of offices across the country and especially in two star towns (small cities) that are way behind.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
My client may be entering the "Death Spiral," which I have seen a number of companies not endure. It helps to have no real skin in the game and to get paid in "...straight cash, homie."

The chairman is under indictment in the Southern District. The #3 told the team today that he is leaving at the end of the month. He is the guy who I ask for a name or a date or a number once a week. Financial results are grim for the last three years. My "direct supervisor," the "Hamburglar" is a lazy idiot, who is technically deficient and a congenital bullshitter.

That being said, I told one of my oldest friends that I should give the Hamburglar $10k in cash, because he is the reason for probably six months of work for the client. Management does not trust him to get work done, so I do parts of his job. It's kind of a quandry. Rationally, I should be ever so thankful for Hamburglar's existence. But I have no respect for his style, which makes it difficult. I guess the lesson is that if someone else doesn't shine it helps you do so?

And 'trenchant' was a good word, Leo. Doe, Kevin was right about intellectual geography. I work with a lot of national accounting firms. Outside of NYC, there are quite a few solid teams in offices like Philly, LA, Chicago, DC and a few others, but there are hundreds of offices across the country and especially in two star towns (small cities) that are way behind.

Once you leave the NYC bubble talent drops off a cliff, one of the areas we're looking to move to I've started to apply for work as a data scientist. In NJ I'd never be considered due to lack of education(undergrad in criminal justice) which most of these posting are looking for PHDs. In Albany my git has been enough to get interviews(and a none remote offer). I might act like an idiot 99% of the time but it seems that 1% is enough to get me by outside of here.

Boston, and California seem to have the same bubble/

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Boston, and California seem to have the same bubble/

My new org is in Boston and I’m pleasantly surprised by the level of talent there.

Last org was California and while there’s talent, there is 0 loyalty, 0 camaraderie, and as a result very little in terms of job quality. Silicon Valley can eat a silicon dick.

Top Bottom