The Joy of Mountain Biking

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Went to my parents' house to celebrate my and Steve's birthdays.

I present to you my dad's sense of humor:

PXL_20200913_233547832-1.jpg

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
MJR - your Dad is awesome! Good thing you flopped well, those ribs would have been a long-haul recovery.
My dad is awesome 🥰

I'm really glad my parents are supportive of me mountain biking. I know they don't like to see me get hurt, but they also know you have to live life and that shit happens. I'm sure other bikers (women especially) have heard the "why don't you try something that's safer?" schpiel numerous times and not once have my parents ever said anything like that.

And yeah... I think I dodged a bullet with the ribs. When the doctor said "well... We could take an x ray..." I thought for sure I was SOL for a while.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, the knee is holding together so I decided to test my luck at Lewis Morris and signed up to do the Mountain (Wo)man race. If you follow me on Strava, you'll know I've been a lazy and overworked little son of a bitch and haven't been riding or running as much as I should be... So this race is gonna be fun. 🙄 But barring any major catastrophies, and long as I keep moving, I'll finish.... Eventually. 🤞

🚵‍♀️

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Well, the knee is holding together so I decided to test my luck at Lewis Morris and signed up to do the Mountain (Wo)man race. If you follow me on Strava, you'll know I've been a lazy and overworked little son of a bitch and haven't been riding or running as much as I should be... So this race is gonna be fun. 🙄 But barring any major catastrophies, and long as I keep moving, I'll finish.... Eventually. 🤞

🚵‍♀️
Disappointed in the lack of f’s used but good luck regardless

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Terrible Tale of the Snow Hike that Ended in the Back of a Cop Car

IMG_20201219_143016.jpg

Steve and I have been doing hiking when the weather and conditions aren't great for biking or we just need a change of pace. And it was under these circumstances that we found ourselves over at Pyramid Mountain this past weekend. We bundled up for a nice hike in the snowy woods and hit up the trails. There wasn't many people there and we actually found a parking spot in the lot at the visitor's center. We grabbed our stuff and headed out.

The more popular trails were already packed down but we found ourselves being the first to travel in others. Snow was light and fluffy so it was an easy hike minus the slow pace. We did our usual chit chatting along the way... talking about everything from open houses to work to possible vacations. We were out for a bit when we came to a junction and turned right. Along the side of that trail someone had written in the snow that they got engaged! YAY! Mazel tov! We continued on and found ourselves at Tripod Rock. Walked a little further and then Steve realized that the trail he wanted to avoid was this way and that we should have gone left at the junction instead. Oops. So back we went past the tripod rock and the snow engagement announcement (Mazel Tov again!) and we made our way back to the trail we meant to take.

Along the way a hiker came up to us and asked if we were park police. WHAT?! No.... we're not. He said something else but I couldn't quite hear it and I asked him "What happened?" He says that a gentleman was just a little ways ahead and that his dog died on the trail. (!!!) We were going in that direction so we and the hiker met up with the gentleman with the dead dog. He was on the phone trying to direct the park police to his location. The (first) hiker said the park police were coming but we decided to stay in case they needed extra help. I asked Steve if we had a blanket or a towel in the car that we could bring back to carry the dog in. Unfortunately no. (Steve drove. My car has the extra blanket and stuff. :() Hiker one says he's a former first responder and that we could make a makeshift stretcher with his hiking poles and some jackets. But we wait for the police to come before doing anything.

We hear some noise and the park police is coming up the side of the hill. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm a little naive when it comes to what a park policeman should look like. Here I'm thinking someone with more of a hiking version of a police uniform, some hiking shoes and a backpack with a blanket, first aid kit, food, etc. Instead, a baby-faced guy in a police uniform and dress shoes which cause him to slip all over the place shows up and he brings with him nothing. Absolutely not a single fucking thing to help in this situation. I just look at him and I'm like great. Awesome. My 10-year old nephew would be more prepared for this situation. He's radioing back that he found the guy and is directing a second cop to where everyone is. At this rate, it's going to take forever and this poor guy whose dog died has a lot of other shit he needs to deal with after this, too.

So hiker #1 mentions the stretcher thing again and dog owner gives up his fleece and they start to make a stretcher but it isn't big enough so I offer up my jacket (I'm wearing my team thermal jersey underneath which is warm as fuck anyway) so I figured I could survive for a little bit without it. But Steve says no and offers up his spare jacket he had taken off earlier. (He over-layers BTW). He later told me my jacket was too nice and not as easy to replace... his was a cheap Wal-Mart deal. So we fix the stretcher and put the dog on it and the dog owner and hiker #1 pick it up and start carrying it. We follow because it's obvious the cop is useless as he's sliding around in the snow in his fancy dress shoes but also that the two hikers are older and won't be able to carry the dog for long. And, as expected and not before long, we switch off and Steve and I carry the dog for a while. We switch off two more times before the cop car is in site (parked in a driveway in a house just off the trail). Meanwhile, cop #2 is just getting to where we were and cop #1 tells him to go back to the car which is also parked in the driveway. We bushwhack thru the yard and finally make it back to the cars with the dog. Cop #1 brings the dog and owner back to his car in the one lot and cop #2 brings me, Steve and the hiker back to our cars in the other lot.

And that is the first and, hopefully, last time I ever ride in the back of a cop car.

P.S. I am a little annoyed with the park police. Yes. He was a first responder technically. But shouldn't any cop be wearing more sensible shoes in this weather? Like... oh I don't know... some kind of snow boot because of the weather. Or at least a park police officer should have hiking shoes in his car since it's pretty conceivable they might be first responders to an injured hiker or something? And it wasn't a mystery as to what they were getting into. The owner was literally telling them his dog fucking died on the trail and needed help getting him out. Grab a fucking blanket from the owner of the property you parked at if you didn't have something in your car. Yeesh. The only value I saw in these cops where that they were parked closer than either of the parking lots we needed to be in.

P.P.S. The positive (?) thing is I hope the dog owner got some comfort in knowing total strangers helped him out in such a weird and sad situation. I honestly have no idea how long he would have been out there if we didn't pass by because during this entire ordeal, no one else passed us.

P.P.P.S. Now I know how to make a make-shift stretcher... and I hope I never need to make one again.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Terrible Tale of the Snow Hike that Ended in the Back of a Cop Car

View attachment 145827

Steve and I have been doing hiking when the weather and conditions aren't great for biking or we just need a change of pace. And it was under these circumstances that we found ourselves over at Pyramid Mountain this past weekend. We bundled up for a nice hike in the snowy woods and hit up the trails. There wasn't many people there and we actually found a parking spot in the lot at the visitor's center. We grabbed our stuff and headed out.

The more popular trails were already packed down but we found ourselves being the first to travel in others. Snow was light and fluffy so it was an easy hike minus the slow pace. We did our usual chit chatting along the way... talking about everything from open houses to work to possible vacations. We were out for a bit when we came to a junction and turned right. Along the side of that trail someone had written in the snow that they got engaged! YAY! Mazel tov! We continued on and found ourselves at Tripod Rock. Walked a little further and then Steve realized that the trail he wanted to avoid was this way and that we should have gone left at the junction instead. Oops. So back we went past the tripod rock and the snow engagement announcement (Mazel Tov again!) and we made our way back to the trail we meant to take.

Along the way a hiker came up to us and asked if we were park police. WHAT?! No.... we're not. He said something else but I couldn't quite hear it and I asked him "What happened?" He says that a gentleman was just a little ways ahead and that his dog died on the trail. (!!!) We were going in that direction so we and the hiker met up with the gentleman with the dead dog. He was on the phone trying to direct the park police to his location. The (first) hiker said the park police were coming but we decided to stay in case they needed extra help. I asked Steve if we had a blanket or a towel in the car that we could bring back to carry the dog in. Unfortunately no. (Steve drove. My car has the extra blanket and stuff. :() Hiker one says he's a former first responder and that we could make a makeshift stretcher with his hiking poles and some jackets. But we wait for the police to come before doing anything.

We hear some noise and the park police is coming up the side of the hill. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm a little naive when it comes to what a park policeman should look like. Here I'm thinking someone with more of a hiking version of a police uniform, some hiking shoes and a backpack with a blanket, first aid kit, food, etc. Instead, a baby-faced guy in a police uniform and dress shoes which cause him to slip all over the place shows up and he brings with him nothing. Absolutely not a single fucking thing to help in this situation. I just look at him and I'm like great. Awesome. My 10-year old nephew would be more prepared for this situation. He's radioing back that he found the guy and is directing a second cop to where everyone is. At this rate, it's going to take forever and this poor guy whose dog died has a lot of other shit he needs to deal with after this, too.

So hiker #1 mentions the stretcher thing again and dog owner gives up his fleece and they start to make a stretcher but it isn't big enough so I offer up my jacket (I'm wearing my team thermal jersey underneath which is warm as fuck anyway) so I figured I could survive for a little bit without it. But Steve says no and offers up his spare jacket he had taken off earlier. (He over-layers BTW). He later told me my jacket was too nice and not as easy to replace... his was a cheap Wal-Mart deal. So we fix the stretcher and put the dog on it and the dog owner and hiker #1 pick it up and start carrying it. We follow because it's obvious the cop is useless as he's sliding around in the snow in his fancy dress shoes but also that the two hikers are older and won't be able to carry the dog for long. And, as expected and not before long, we switch off and Steve and I carry the dog for a while. We switch off two more times before the cop car is in site (parked in a driveway in a house just off the trail). Meanwhile, cop #2 is just getting to where we were and cop #1 tells him to go back to the car which is also parked in the driveway. We bushwhack thru the yard and finally make it back to the cars with the dog. Cop #1 brings the dog and owner back to his car in the one lot and cop #2 brings me, Steve and the hiker back to our cars in the other lot.

And that is the first and, hopefully, last time I ever ride in the back of a cop car.

P.S. I am a little annoyed with the park police. Yes. He was a first responder technically. But shouldn't any cop be wearing more sensible shoes in this weather? Like... oh I don't know... some kind of snow boot because of the weather. Or at least a park police officer should have hiking shoes in his car since it's pretty conceivable they might be first responders to an injured hiker or something? And it wasn't a mystery as to what they were getting into. The owner was literally telling them his dog fucking died on the trail and needed help getting him out. Grab a fucking blanket from the owner of the property you parked at if you didn't have something in your car. Yeesh. The only value I saw in these cops where that they were parked closer than either of the parking lots we needed to be in.

P.P.S. The positive (?) thing is I hope the dog owner got some comfort in knowing total strangers helped him out in such a weird and sad situation. I honestly have no idea how long he would have been out there if we didn't pass by because during this entire ordeal, no one else passed us.

P.P.P.S. Now I know how to make a make-shift stretcher... and I hope I never need to make one again.
Yes, at a minimum he should be in boots, but a park ranger is probably what was needed and may be more prepared. I know the State Park police that are stationed by washington crossing park where more of a "field" getup.

There was a lot of words here, how did the dog die?

JerseyPete

We should all be so fortunate to pass away being outdoors and with those who care about us.
Would suck to have to drag my fat carcass out though.

Top Bottom