The Joy of Mountain Biking

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I was never knocked out for mine. It's not that bad. I did pass out for a minute when I saw the surgeon cranking my tooth back and forth with pliers to get it out. That one they cracked to remove were not as bad.

mine were impacted sideways - nothing to grab! - i got nauseous when they pulled the packing out during my follow-up.
I have my chipmunk picture somewhere in the archives.

serviceguy

Hang in there! Think I mentioned my wisdom tooth extraction - i woke up before they were done!
Also, the special tylenol - yeah, that is when i learned about narcotics! back then it was percodan. woohoo!
They knocked you out for a wisdom tooth extraction? Not sure how bad your was but my lower ones were both hook shaped and had grown back into the jaw bone, one took almost 2 hours to remove but I was awake (and extremely pissed) all that time. It did take several injections of local anesthetic though. No pain, I just had the corner of my mouth resting on my shoulder for a few days...and the special tylenol? I took one pill when I had one tooth extraction the first time I saw a dentist in the US, made me feel so bad that I didn't even take it when I had kidney stones, I'd rather endure the pain.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They knocked you out for a wisdom tooth extraction? Not sure how bad your was but my lower ones were both hook shaped and had grown back into the jaw bone, one took almost 2 hours to remove but I was awake (and extremely pissed) all that time. It did take several injections of local anesthetic though. No pain, I just had the corner of my mouth resting on my shoulder for a few days...and the special tylenol? I took one pill when I had one tooth extraction the first time I saw a dentist in the US, made me feel so bad that I didn't even take it when I had kidney stones, I'd rather endure the pain.

Friend of mine is an orthodontist and told me to never, ever get knocked out for dental work. The recovery is 100x harder for two reasons.

1) They absolutely go to town on you if you're knocked out, so you'll get some more damage.
2) There's a significant drain on your body from being knocked out.

I got mine done years ago at the clinic at UMDNJ when I had no money or insurance by students. $200 for all 4 teeth. It was more "expensive" because I had complications with two teeth requiring them to be crushed and pulled out since they were severely impacted. I swear I was in and out within 15 minutes. Was like a factory.

serviceguy

Friend of mine is an orthodontist and told me to never, ever get knocked out for dental work. The recovery is 100x harder for two reasons.

1) They absolutely go to town on you if you're knocked out, so you'll get some more damage.
2) There's a significant drain on your body from being knocked out.

I got mine done years ago at the clinic at UMDNJ when I had no money or insurance by students. $200 for all 4 teeth. It was more "expensive" because I had complications with two teeth requiring them to be crushed and pulled out since they were severely impacted. I swear I was in and out within 15 minutes. Was like a factory.

I believe in my case it was a question of lack of competence on the part of the performing dentist. Both left and right lower were so severely impacted that they removed part of the bone they were embedded in. The first one took forever, but when a month later I showed up for the follow up interview and have the second one done, the doctor I spoke to went nuts, left for about 15 minutes, came back and performed the extraction himself. It was a 15 minutes affair. Basically they remove the bone on top of it, split the tooth in 4 pieces and off they went, piece of cake.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well... gravity works.

joy fall and go boom :rolleyes:

but, hey, i still have special tylenol leftover from my wisdom teeth!

Me.jpg

20200909_192716.jpg

JDurk

How fast were you going? What condition is your helmet? Learn to use a mouse with the other hand. My money is on the ribs taking the longest to heal up.

Heal up and get back in the saddle quickly.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How fast were you going? What condition is your helmet? Learn to use a mouse with the other hand. My money is on the ribs taking the longest to heal up.

Heal up and get back in the saddle quickly.
I assume this was from a road ride?
Always thought road was more dangerous.

i wish i could say i was doing something epic... like saving a small child from a rabid bear... but, it's the stupid shit that gets ya... super dry and loose dirt/rock conditions at Lew Mo and my wheel just washed out and i went flying. i'm just super glad i had Steve and Adam with me to help me out. a lot of times i'll go to Lew Mo by myself and that would have sucked ass if i were alone.

EDIT: i just checked strava and it said my max speed was 21.5 mph (which i always think is wrong but anyway) and that was the only place i was picking up any real speed since everything else was basically climbing until that point. and my helmet is fine. everything above the shoulders remained untouched.

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i wish i could say i was doing something epic... like saving a small child from a rabid bear... but, it's the stupid shit that gets ya... super dry and loose dirt/rock conditions at Lew Mo and my wheel just washed out and i went flying. i'm just super glad i had Steve and Adam with me to help me out. a lot of times i'll go to Lew Mo by myself and that would have sucked ass if i were alone.

EDIT: i just checked strava and it said my max speed was 21.5 mph (which i always think is wrong but anyway) and that was the only place i was picking up any real speed since everything else was basically climbing until that point. and my helmet is fine. everything above the shoulders remained untouched.
If you go to Strava and go to Analysis you can slide across your ride to the spot you crashed and see your speed. I crashed at White Clay on Saturday flying threw the fields and hit a rut. Strava says 21mph to 18 to 0 in 1 second. Ouch..
Heal up smooth, don't want to ruin those hot legs....
I can say that right??? ;*)

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Injury update:

So I thought I'd check in and let you know how I was doing now that it's been a few days after being patched up.

Right inner arm/elbow area: small nickel sized area of raw skin that still needs to be covered, but the rest is fine! It's various shades of new pink skin and some yellow healing bruising, but aside from that one small patch, no pain!

Ribs: initially there was some concern I may have cracked a rib since it was sore taking deep breaths and laughing and stuff. But the doctor said the lungs were clear and it's not like I could do anything for cracked ribs even if I got x rays so I skipped the extra medical cost. But happy to report, they're fine! So definitely not cracked. Little bruise on the area now but that's all.

Left knee: I really thought this was going to be a giant bruise. I smacked it pretty good but there was minimal cuts and scrapes. Happy to report no bruises or swelling and the few cuts I had are already scabbed up and coming off.

Right knee: the stitches are still in there... I'll have them removed Tuesday (my birthday 🥳) or Wednesday. But I have full motion of my knee and can sit cross legged and everything. I'll still bandage it up because of the raw skin but otherwise it's doing great!

So what does hurt? Ironically my left upper arm/shoulder area where I got the tetanus shot. I couldn't remember when I last got one but I knew it definitely wasn't this year... So out came the needle.

Still staying clear of the trails until my stitches come out. But I may hop on the trainer later today to get things moving. And I promise to wear my knee pads from now on. 😁

P.S. I joked about auctioning off the opportunity to remove my stitches. @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST has already bid $11. Do I hear $12? 😜

moose35

Glad you didn't do anything serious.
You would probably enjoy taking out the stitches yourself its kinda satisfying.

Top Bottom