The Joy of Mountain Biking

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
quick update:

like everyone else... still no races to report on or prepare for. i'm feeling very cooped up in the house but i am getting more used to this WFH thing. and i definitely do not miss the commute into hoboken. i bought a new desk for my "office" (i was working on the kitchen table) and the setup is much nicer now... plus i'm not heading into the kitchen every ten minutes for a snack. steve and i also have more space between us when we're both home so i don't have to listen to all his conference calls and he doesn't have to listen to my crappy music.

i have been doing some exercise stuff... outside rides when i can, zwift when i can't. also started running again and we've done some hikes... and lots and lots of walks around town.... i did change my privacy settings on strava tho. so to prove i'm actually doing stuff... i present this as evidence:

Strava.jpg

i think i'm a little behind on hours tho.

anyway, i've been eating a lot of PB&J sandwiches and drowning myself in a ton of tea... i ordered some favorites from the republic of tea: honey ginseng green tea and pomegranate green tea... as well as a british breakfast tea... i think i prefer the irish breakfast tea tho. did you really need to know that? meh, whatever. the teas are yummy if you need a coffee alternative.

not sure what else to say... i wish i had more exciting stuff to blog about but i don't. i'd say AMA but then you might actually ask me anything. ?‍♀

hope everyone's staying safe and healthy and enjoying WFH and all that.

Last edited:

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
so this is totally random... but this popped up in my FB memories this week... still probably one of my favorite flyers i've ever done. and it's a very personal one... some photos of friends and their relatives are in here... and me too! can you spot me?

11148858_932228803465739_2207490333374896533_o.jpg

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is mountain biking a hobby?

I've mentioned elsewhere that my company has been doing WFH weekly contests. Stuff like "most cramped space" or "best WFH recipe" where people send in photos or little videos of that week's theme and a few people are chosen as winners and given Amazon gift cards. I entered a couple. I didn't win and still feel robbed for the pet themed challenge:

WFH2.jpg

And there's a few I didn't enter because, well, I don't have kids. Well, last week's challenge was your WFH workout. I didn't enter. I thought about it and I guess I could have sent in a pic of me on Zwift or something and I guess that qualifies as a workout. But I usually think of workouts as lifting weights and all that. But this week's theme is about your hobby.

noun
  1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

And mountain biking feels more in line with that definition to me than a workout. But I never thought about it as a hobby either. I guess I always thought hobbies were stamp collecting or knitting... Not sports-related activities. But it's fun. And it's a great way to de-stress. So why wouldn't I consider it a hobby?

Anyway... Just random thoughts I guess. When I first saw the challenge, I was like great... I'm boring... I have no hobbies. But maybe I do after all. ?‍♀

serviceguy

Is mountain biking a hobby?

I've mentioned elsewhere that my company has been doing WFH weekly contests. Stuff like "most cramped space" or "best WFH recipe" where people send in photos or little videos of that week's theme and a few people are chosen as winners and given Amazon gift cards. I entered a couple. I didn't win and still feel robbed for the pet themed challenge:

View attachment 127856

And there's a few I didn't enter because, well, I don't have kids. Well, last week's challenge was your WFH workout. I didn't enter. I thought about it and I guess I could have sent in a pic of me on Zwift or something and I guess that qualifies as a workout. But I usually think of workouts as lifting weights and all that. But this week's theme is about your hobby.

noun
  1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

And mountain biking feels more in line with that definition to me than a workout. But I never thought about it as a hobby either. I guess I always thought hobbies were stamp collecting or knitting... Not sports-related activities. But it's fun. And it's a great way to de-stress. So why wouldn't I consider it a hobby?

Anyway... Just random thoughts I guess. When I first saw the challenge, I was like great... I'm boring... I have no hobbies. But maybe I do after all. ?‍♀
I thought that mountain biking was a joy...

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
how's it going, everyone?!

so i guess it's about time for an update... plus i'm bored waiting for stuff to come in for work. lucky you.

still no races (obviously). just been riding to ride which has been quite nice. no pressure. no frustration. i've ridden wild cat and jungle a few times recently (in addition to the one thousand times i've gone to lewis morris) and i've been feeling pretty good riding. i love the tech at WC and jungle. and i've been adding some longer distances in at lew mo and patriot's path with one ride even hitting the 20 mile mark. we've also been doing some hikes. part to mix things up a little and part prep for a trip to the grand canyon in october. (fingers crossed!) steve was able to get a reservation at the phantom ranch. i, however, will not be able to go all the way down. them's the breaks. i'll go down half way with him and come back. and then the next day take a different trail and meet him part way and head back up together. i also have two weeks off in august but, frankly, i don't think we're going to be able to really do anything for that one.

i've paused my zwift subscription for two months. i'm not riding indoors. i also don't want to burn myself out. nothing to train for... so might as well put that on the back burner for now. i'm more concerned with working on skillz right now anyway.... rocks rocks and more rocks. also some progress on finally doing a wheelie. sometimes i feel soooooo close and i hold back. but i think this is my year. really, i just want to look cool in the parking lot. ;P

work... has been a little frustrating at times. and i hate microsoft teams. the new company is very corporate and i feel like i've signed a hundred documents already.... covid policies and restricted list policies and microsoft teams and email policies... their schedule also never seems to align properly with mine so i feel like they're always bugging me when it's least convenient. but at least i don't have to deal with NJ Transhit! the CEO has also basically said we're not returning to work before the end of august. the offices (the company has offices in newport beach, dallas, hoboken and london) may eventually open before then, but he basically said don't bother coming in if you don't have to. don't have to tell me twice! WFH suits me. plus i get more riding in.

despite eating what i feel like is a hundred snacks a day, i've lost a little weight... 6 lbs-ish... i don't think i look skinnier, just feel less bloated... which means i'm eating way better at home. i hope i can keep the better eating habits up when we do eventually get back to the office.

anyway... i guess that's it for now. looks like some work finally came in. hopefully i'll see you all soon on the trails! :)

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
i've paused my zwift subscription for two months. i'm not riding indoors. i also don't want to burn myself out. nothing to train for... so might as well put that on the back burner for now. i'm more concerned with working on skillz right now anyway.... rocks rocks and more rocks. also some progress on finally doing a wheelie. sometimes i feel soooooo close and i hold back. but i think this is my year. really, i just want to look cool in the parking lot. ;P
Good stuff.

This is pretty much my situation right now as well. While I want to be fit, I'm really focusing more attention on improving my driving.

The one thing you're doing, that I need to do, is ride the rocks more. I need some motivation to get to places like Jungle and Wildcat, given the drives they involve from Monmouth County.