The Joy of Mountain Biking

Turbotrix

Random update:

Next week we are flying back out to Phoenix where we will begin yet another trip to the Grand Canyon!

So originally the park was supposed to shut everything down for construction... but then things got delayed and, instead of doing the lottery thing they normally do for reservations at the PR, they just opened up the dates for a wild west internet free for all and somehow I got thru and was able to secure two nights again. We offered the extra beds in the cabin to a few people but, unfortunately, things didn't work out so it's just going to be me and Steve heading down to the bottom. It remains to be seen if we both make it back up.

I'm hoping we can hike a bit more to the northern side (last year we made it to Ribbon Falls) but we'll see how the weather is and how our legs hold up. There is also some talk of shutdowns so I'm not sure how much our trip will be affected since the Phantom Ranch is actually an outside company (Xanterra). Also there are a few sections of the trails that will start to close down about the time we are there.

Anyway... that's where we stand for now. :)

Congrats on getting a reservation at PR. I've tried a few times but never had luck. Regarding trail closures, the CG Backcountry office within the park has the latest information on trail conditions, water stations shutting down for the season, etc. We checked in with them when we doing an out and back crossing a few years back. They were super helpful and it's good to keep them updated when you're planning something big (just in case).

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Santapez wrote his Grand Canyon recap here

I'll also be doing a little recap as soon as I can get caught up with work... hopefully later today.

PXL_20231009_142620622.jpg

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grand Canyon: 3rd time down to the river... And feel free to AMA.. I'll post some non-strava pics in separate posts.

Once again we managed to snag two nights at the Phantom Ranch at the bottom... even luckier, we were able to get access to everything before they started to close stuff down for construction. Honestly, the trips to the Grand Canyon are by far some of my favorite trips. There is something so incredibly beautiful about the place and serene once you get past a certain point and the crowds and casual hikers disappear.

Day 1 Hikes:
Heading down into the canyon**
Got up and out of the hotel room to catch the 5:30 shuttle bus to the trail head. March 2021, we were the only ones on the bus. April 2022 (with Alex and Mark), there were a handful of people on the bus. This time, standing room only. A lot of R2R2R runners plus it was a Saturday on a holiday weekend (which I totally didn't realize until like a week before the trip) with perfect weather.... so yeah... crowded. We kept up a good pace to try to get out of the tangle of runners/hikers until we were able to get some space and we slowed down and enjoyed the scenery a bit more. My hips were bothering me a little bit but I was able to stretch them out and I was fine after that. We were surprised at the fact that we didn't really see any mules like previous times but I'm wondering if they keep the mule trains to a minimum on weekends or if they just left much earlier in the morning to avoid the crowds.

Utah flats
Since we've done this trip a few times and we knew we'd have some extra time in the morning to get down to the bottom, we thought we'd add in the Tonto trail for some extra mileage and to change things up a bit. We went over to the backcountry office the day before we headed down and asked them what they thought or if they had other suggestions. The woman we spoke to was very "Meh" to the idea of the Tonto trail and suggested we do the Utah Flats/Phantom Creek route instead. Let's just say it was extremely un-fun, loose rock and very steep (I think I read somewhere it's like 40 degree angle uphill), no shade, no water and not to be attempted if there's even a chance of rain since it's prone to flash flooding. I was very unhappy. I do not like heights. I kept slipping on the rocks. I had a full pack since we didn't check in to the Phantom Ranch yet. I was running out of water. And we had only made it up the first hill, thru Piano Ally and just crossed over to the Flats. We were not going to make it to the Creek so we turned around and made our way back. After a number of slips on the rock, a few cactus needles in my hands (Steve got a full palm full of them), aching quads, slammed toes, and a little hyperventilating, we made it back to the bottom.... where a small group of guys were asking a GC employee how to get up to one of the rock formations (in the direction we came from). First words out of my mouth were: DO NOT RECOMMEND. Followed by a few complaints.... none of which contained a four letter word (much to your disappointment)
Note: google Utah Flats for better pics. I was too busy not pooping my pants to take better photos.

Day 2 Hike:
Out and Back to Manzanita Rest Stop
We decided to head out towards the north rim side of the Phantom Ranch for our full day at the bottom. Last year, we went to Ribbon Falls (STUNNING) but this year we wanted to try to push past that a bit. It's fairly "flat" until Ribbon Falls, then the North Kaibab Trail starts to gain a little more elevation until Manzanita Rest Area where it starts to really get steeper as you go past and head to the North Rim. Since my legs were still hurting from Utah Flats, I knew I was going to have a turnaround point and it would not be the North Rim. I was feeling good as we got to the turnoff for Ribbon Falls and we kept going up past Cottonwood (campsites) and made it to the Manzanita Rest Area. This is where I said I wouldn't go any farther. Steve still felt good and wanted to push on, so I gave him my blessing to get as far as he could but he had to return to Manzanita by 2pm so we could make it back to the ranch in time for dinner. I honestly didn't think he was going to make it to the North Rim but the stubborn fucker did it! And he actually made it back by 2pm! The way back was in full sun and it was fucking hot. My legs and feet were not happy but whatever. I wasn't crippled so just pushed on until we got back. I decided to rest a little before dinner while Steve showered. We got dinner and I took a very quiet and very hot shower afterwards. Best shower of the trip.

Day 3 Hike:
The hike out
My legs were still hurting but luckily uphills were way easier for me than downhills so the trip out wasn't as painful as you'd think. Bright Angel Trail out with stops at the beach along the river and Plateau Point which, arguably, might have some of the best views of the trip. One blessing was that, for whatever reason, most of the uphill was actually shaded! It was sunny but the angle of the sun plus a few strategic clouds made this hike out a lot more tolerable than it should have been. We stopped at Havasupai Gardens (formerly Indian Gardens) on the way up for bathroom and water, went out to Plateau Point, booked it past a mule train and 3 mile rest stop with only a quick leg-stretching stop at 1.5 mile rest stop. The last mile was getting painful plus that area gets more crowded with sneaker-wearing, Evian water bottle-carrying tourists... but you also get to the point where you're just like "I've been hiking for 6+ hours so get the fuck out of my way!" The mules never caught back up to us (slightly proud of that since they are fast fuckers but, apparently, this was also the snacking group) and our legs held out until we finally reached the south rim... where pretty much everything started to fall apart and our feet hurt on the pavement and we couldn't walk down the slightest hills but we still managed to walk to the lodge to check in to our hotel room and walk to the hotel room and still managed to shower and get cleaned up and walk to the shuttle to take us to El Tovar for dinner.

Random notes:
  • We got a fantastic surprise with the canteen at the Phantom Ranch being open!!! Previous times were all take-out only.
  • Injuries include: hands (cuts and cactus needles) and aching quads from Utah Flats hike, bruised big toenails (assuming also from the Utah Flats hike with the way my feet kept slipping and slamming into rocks), skin irritation on my back from my backpack (although, I honestly did not feel this at all and only realized it when Steve saw my back as I was getting dressed for dinner the third day)
  • October seems to be the perfect weather time to do the Grand Canyon but that also means it's pretty crowded. I think I'd try to do April again and just chance it with less than perfect weather. March was actually really nice with the snow but the mud and rain made everything super messy and painful to climb out of the canyon. Or maybe do an early November?
  • Steve wants to run R2R2R in one shot. I don't have the same goal but I would really like to see the North side so if we do plan out something for him to do R2R2R, I might try to arrange for a shuttle to the North Rim and do North to South in one day.
  • I actually bought brand new hiking boots for this trip but did not get a chance to break them in and I worried about getting blisters so I took my old hiking shoes instead. They were comfortable but I don't know if they were too broken in and actually contributed a little to the bruised toes problem. They are officially retired now and relegated to only being worn for yard work now.

** I changed the privacy on these Strava activities so hopefully the links all work and you can see the details and some of the pics that I took during the activities.

Last edited:

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grand Canyon: 3rd time down to the river...

• Injuries include: hands (cuts and cactus needles) and aching quads from Utah Flats hike, bruised big toenails (assuming also from the Utah Flats hike with the way my feet kept slipping and slamming into rocks), skin irritation on my back from my backpack (although, I honestly did not feel this at all and only realized it when Steve saw my back as I was getting dressed for dinner the third day)

I would like to just say that it took only 5 months for the bruises on my toenails to grow out. Happy Spring!

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have my own blog to update and i don't want to take over norm's blog but i think you can be a good employee, a well compensated employee, a recognized-for-their-work employee, have a good manager and manager's manager, get compliments/praise from clients, take the extra steps to make sure your product is the best it can be, make suggestions for improvements and actually be listened to... and STILL be completely burned out and sit there feeling like WTF am i doing this for?

If someone I didn't know presented me with this, here is how I would reply:

This is 1 of 2 things:

1. It's a "me" problem. If everything around me is good but I'm unhappy, I'm the problem
2. Deep down you hate your job

I don't know that anything else makes sense given the parameters of the paragraph you wrote.

So way back in February around Page 216-ish of Norm's blog, there was some talk of work... well... he talks about work often in his blog but, at that time, I had made a few self-incriminating work comments. I'm still not sure how much I want to go into... but I would like to start addressing a few things at least... And I'll start off with the two points Norm stated.

1- It's a "me' problem: Sure. I mean I can only control how I react to something... I can't control what others do. So if someone does something that annoys or stresses me out, I can only control my reaction to that situation and I've been letting a lot of other people and stuff get under my skin. I need to chill and let a lot more things roll off my back. But I do feel like it's two steps forward and three steps back some days. Case in point: I've said numerous times I will not train D to do my job. Now, on the surface this sounds like a really shitty thing to do or say in a corporate world. But, allow me to explain. I work in a few Adobe programs but mostly InDesign for the basic layout of the newsletter. I have a BA in English and actually went back to take additional design/art classes in case I needed to get another degree/ concentration in Graphic Design/ Arts/ Whatever. I've worked doing my "thing" all throughout college, after college, corporate world, favors for friends, etc. I've seen a number of programs for this kind of work come and go and die horrible deaths along the way (anyone remember Pagemaker). So needless to say I have a lot of experience. D is a copy editor. He's very good at his job. His tech skills are extremely lacking tho... to the point he's needed IT help to log into his laptop. Yes. For realz. I am 85% of the way training someone else to be my backup. S is young and smart and has some background experience with InDesign. She still has a number of questions and still needs to have her work checked but I can actually take a vacation and not have the whole place blow up. But my supervisor J is retiring in 2 years and he wants to have another backup for me so he wants me to train D to do my job. I have said no a few times now. Again, that sounds really shitty but he has no experience whatsoever in any kind of design program or art background. He is a copy editor. He is really good with words and debating single versus double quotes and oxford commas and all that shit. But this isn't a job for someone with those skills. What you need to do is hire someone who has some layout background in addition to copy editing skills. I cannot teach someone like D who has laptop log in issues a program like InDesign and then all the specifics of the job itself. And, yet, I've been told that in the next year I will have to train him. How do I react to that? How do I also react to the perceived insult that my job can be taught to anyone?

03c57f4d8cbb03a765371edd8ad79485.jpg

2- Deep down you hate your job: Yes and no. I realized early on in college that I actually really liked the "behind the scenes" stuff.... The giant puzzle of putting all the stories and art and ads together into one pretty presentation... the working with various departments like data, advertising, editorial, marketing, printing companies, etc. I am one of the few people who gets to be with every department... and there are some really amazing people I have been lucky enough to work with. But at the end of the day, it is work. It is stress. It is deadlines and people who dump stuff on me at the last moment. It could be bad managers and senior leadership teams that make you feel expendable. When new company bought my old company, I was sure I would be laid off. I thought for sure they thought I was overpaid and redundant for something they could have a random graphic designer do. Even 4 years into the new company, part of me still feels that way. My old bosses really made me feel wanted and they never separated themselves from the newsroom atmosphere. My boss was there every single late night I had to work. It was never 5pm See ya! He was in the trenches. New company is a lot more corporate which leaves a sour taste in my mouth (in fact, in our "anonymous" employee surveys, senior leadership team scored alarmingly low). Corporate has its perks but it also comes with a feeling of I'm just a number. And I've said a number of times now that if I were ever to be laid off, I don't think I'd do this job anymore. The added work under the new company has let me really shine and I actually won an employee award (voted on by my peers). I've been recognized for my work on especially difficult weeks. I've been given extra "off the book" days off as a perk. And yet, I am tired. I am worn out. I am frustrated. I think I am burned out. I joke about quitting and "becoming a barista" but would that be that bad if I am just happier and less all of the other stuff? And before anyone suggests finding a new job, I have taken looks here and there and some of my friends have sent me job postings but I am paid way more here than any other place I've seen. Like literally starting salary would be half what I make now.

Last edited:

rjr44

1- It's a "me' problem: Sure. I mean I can only control how I react to something... I can't control what others do. So if someone does something that annoys or stresses me out, I can only control my reaction to that situation and I've been letting a lot of other people and stuff get under my skin. I need to chill and let a lot more things roll off my back. But I do feel like it's two steps forward and three steps back some days. Case in point: I've said numerous times I will not train D to do my job. Now, on the surface this sounds like a really shitty thing to do or say in a corporate world. But, allow me to explain. I work in a few Adobe programs but mostly InDesign for the basic layout of the newsletter. I have a BA in English and actually went back to take additional design/art classes in case I needed to get another degree/ concentration in Graphic Design/ Arts/ Whatever. I've worked doing my "thing" all throughout college, after college, corporate world, favors for friends, etc. I've seen a number of programs for this kind of work come and go and die horrible deaths along the way (anyone remember Pagemaker). So needless to say I have a lot of experience. D is a copy editor. He's very good at his job. His tech skills are extremely lacking tho... to the point he's needed IT help to log into his laptop. Yes. For realz. I am 85% of the way training someone else to be my backup. S is young and smart and has some background experience with InDesign. She still has a number of questions and still needs to have her work checked but I can actually take a vacation and not have the whole place blow up. But my supervisor J is retiring in 2 years and he wants to have another backup for me so he wants me to train D to do my job. I have said no a few times now. Again, that sounds really shitty but he has no experience whatsoever in any kind of design program or art background. He is a copy editor. He is really good with words and debating single versus double quotes and oxford commas and all that shit. But this isn't a job for someone with those skills. What you need to do is hire someone who has some layout background in addition to copy editing skills. I cannot teach someone like D who has laptop log in issues a program like InDesign and then all the specifics of the job itself. And, yet, I've been told that in the next year I will have to train him. How do I react to that? How do I also react to the perceived insult that my job can be taught to anyone?
My 2 cents on #1, coming from someone who at times has managed an org of hundreds as well as one who acted as a senior team member with no direct reports. Based on what you gave this is really on your manager to help solve before he retires.

Either identify a qualified resource for you to cross-train OR get D enrolled in basic training on the skills required for the job. Once they have the foundation to learn from you then your time will be better used.

To ask you to train them from scratch, yeah most companies gonna do that thinking it's "free" but there is a cost, and the cost is you not being put to your greatest and best use since you'll be holding this person's hand.

I've had this situation in the past both as a manager as well as someone in your shoes and that's always how I approached it. Granted, I had great manager's to back me up on this which helped.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
debating single versus double quotes and oxford commas

There is nothing to debate when it comes to the Oxford comma.

My old bosses really made me feel wanted and they never separated themselves from the newsroom atmosphere. My boss was there every single late night I had to work. It was never 5pm See ya! He was in the trenches. New company is a lot more corporate which leaves a sour taste in my mouth (in fact, in our "anonymous" employee surveys, senior leadership team scored alarmingly low). Corporate has its perks but it also comes with a feeling of I'm just a number.

I was at my previous job for 11 years. It was a small datacenter/ISP business started by two guys in their garage. It was maybe 60-70 employees for most of the time I was there, and the owners were great. They similarly were in the trenches with us and were just fun dudes. It was a real family atmosphere with lots of perks, and it was just a fun place to work. They eventually sold the company, and the new owners turned out to be assholes. Every single person from our company left within a year or two. I'm not necessarily suggesting you should leave, but it can't hurt to look around.

I am tired. I am worn out. I am frustrated. I think I am burned out. I joke about quitting and "becoming a barista" but would that be that bad if I am just happier and less all of the other stuff?

Not exactly the same, but I've now been in "IT" for 20 years, with the last 6.5 years being at a startup going through fairly crazy growth, and I have also been feeling really burned out. It's weird to me, because I work for an incredible company run by awesome people, and my job stress is low, but I somehow feel similarly and think I just need a break. I've been thinking pretty seriously about resigning, taking a year off, and just not touching my computer at all for as long as possible. I really do like what I do and would probably go back to work in the same industry, but doing something else for a while might also make sense.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just want to let you know I am reading and we can discuss more in Vermont, pre-KT trip.

mntal

So way back in February around Page 216-ish of Norm's blog, there was some talk of work... well... he talks about work often in his blog but, at that time, I had made a few self-incriminating work comments. I'm still not sure how much I want to go into... but I would like to start addressing a few things at least... And I'll start off with the two points Norm stated.

View attachment 234964

2- Deep down you hate your job: Yes and no. I realized early on in college that I actually really liked the "behind the scenes" stuff.... The giant puzzle of putting all the stories and art and ads together into one pretty presentation... the working with various departments like data, advertising, editorial, marketing, printing companies, etc. I am one of the few people who gets to be with every department... and there are some really amazing people I have been lucky enough to work with. But at the end of the day, it is work. It is stress. It is deadlines and people who dump stuff on me at the last moment. It could be bad managers and senior leadership teams that make you feel expendable. When new company bought my old company, I was sure I would be laid off. I thought for sure they thought I was overpaid and redundant for something they could have a random graphic designer do. Even 4 years into the new company, part of me still feels that way. My old bosses really made me feel wanted and they never separated themselves from the newsroom atmosphere. My boss was there every single late night I had to work. It was never 5pm See ya! He was in the trenches. New company is a lot more corporate which leaves a sour taste in my mouth (in fact, in our "anonymous" employee surveys, senior leadership team scored alarmingly low). Corporate has its perks but it also comes with a feeling of I'm just a number. And I've said a number of times now that if I were ever to be laid off, I don't think I'd do this job anymore. The added work under the new company has let me really shine and I actually won an employee award (voted on by my peers). I've been recognized for my work on especially difficult weeks. I've been given extra "off the book" days off as a perk. And yet, I am tired. I am worn out. I am frustrated. I think I am burned out. I joke about quitting and "becoming a barista" but would that be that bad if I am just happier and less all of the other stuff? And before anyone suggests finding a new job, I have taken looks here and there and some of my friends have sent me job postings but I am paid way more here than any other place I've seen. Like literally starting salary would be half what I make now.
time to start your own business. its the true way to both wealth and financial freedom. then it's your name, but your way. build an empire as opposed to having a job.

Top Bottom