The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So quick question on the new steering capability if anyone knows:

We're in the process of remodeling our basement to add a full bathroom and I have to move my "studio" to the other side. I figure while I'm at it, I might add a few "upgrades" to the setup. I was thinking about getting the Kickr Climb. I'm pretty excited to try out the steering capability, though, and I'm wondering - will that work with the climb? Anyone have any idea or has Wahoo made any statement on whether or not the Climb will work with steering?

I’ve got the Climb but I’m using it on a rubber mat so it ain’t gonna steer. So I’ve been tossing two options around... a lazy Susan under the climb, but Shane Miller (gp lama) pointed out that if he didn’t put it at an angle, the rear wanted to walk a little with the turns. But his was a front wheel on, so not a fair comparison.The other thought I had was one of those plastic cutting boards. They’re slick enough that I should be able steer with the climb. Need to pick up a cheep phone mount for the trainer... probably do that later in the week.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Loosen the stem ?
probably a bad idea if the bike is ever going to see the road again - but could imagine a special stem for this application.

i wonder if they are going to use this in racing, so you can't just ride through someone?

mtbiker87

Back in the day, when experimenting with front geometry on the karts, but lacking the cash for proper turn plates, we took to pieces of lexan, put grease between 'em, loosely fastened them in middle so they stayed together, put 'em under the front wheels, and tadah!......turn plates. Should work for this to.

Eltee

I have used a magazine under a car tire to do a driveway alingment.
Should work under a bike tire.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Ok, plastic cutting board will let the climb turn, but it’s not smooth. Need to stop at a home goods store to get a lazy Susan.

But all this is moot if I can’t get to the stupid course in the first place. How do you navigate there (manually)? I don’t race or do group rides and as a result I’m only level 10. You need to be 12+ to get to the squatch route which I know is close to it.

Patrick

Staff member
Ok, plastic cutting board will let the climb turn, but it’s not smooth. Need to stop at a home goods store to get a lazy Susan.

But all this is moot if I can’t get to the stupid course in the first place. How do you navigate there (manually)? I don’t race or do group rides and as a result I’m only level 10. You need to be 12+ to get to the squatch route which I know is close to it.

1. must have companion app running, with main zwift on separate platform
2. load up the quatch course on watopia
3. about 4km in, a [?] box will appear, with the option to turn, when you come to the fork, take it. :D
4. it will pause, esplains stuff, then off you go.

no quatch, cause it goes into the Alpe climb, find titan grove, go a couple km up the hill past the hot springs, and lodge.

this is the sequoia and dessert route,
https://www.strava.com/activities/2758292289

whatever it is called - spawn here, and do a u-turn - then turn into titan's grove when you get there.
in this one, i just rode over the top of the mountain, went past the entrance to the mtb (there is a bike rack) to the first bend, came back to the mtb route
at the 10.2 mile mark. earned my mtb yesterday too. i tried to huck something a few days back, and they told me it wasn't the right line.
They don't know Bill.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Thx! I normally just follow a couple of courses but last night I used the companion to find the desert course during my planned Monday workout. I’m pretty sure I know where the right is to head twards grove. I’ll experiment tonight to at least get there. Wanted to ride grove anyway. :)

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Patrick and I threw ourselves in the Wednesday World's tonight.
My highest W/kg yet 2.9 for 1 hour
207 watts.
Lost the main group in the middle of lap 3.
Screenshot_20191009-202819_Strava.jpg

I was a sweating mess in the end. FELT GREAT!

Patrick

Staff member
I held on as long as possible - about 30 minutes, and the group pushed a climb which i managed to hold on - went over 5 w/kg at one point.
then lost the group after the peak! just nothing left to chase, watching them ride into the distance. Then i ran for the bathroom (i need to get this gut thing back
under control) managed the same avg power as Glenn, but i have a few more kgs... Glenn passed me during a health break! :D
His chase group slowly pulled away from mine - we had 8 people with only 3 working the front.

fun!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Last night was demo-night on my original indoor "studio". We got a call late last week that the construction crew will be ready to start our new bathroom this coming week. That's two weeks early, so I had to kick the demo into overdrive last night. I spent most of the night dismantling our basement gym and, more importantly, my little indoor studio. Previously, the studio was in the far left corner of the finished section of the basement, and that's where the new bathroom is going to be (not my first choice, but I have to concede it's the most practical location.) Since I'm forced to move everything, I'm thinking of a full reconfiguration. I have a few ideas, but none are ready for prime-time yet. I'll post photos once it's all set up. The one thing I kind of have to do this weekend is rehang the TV because my father-in-law is going to be visiting and it's one of the few opportunities I'll have to get some help when more than two hands are needed. The photo below is the original configuration - the new one will be bigger if nothing else!

Basement Setup1.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Last night was demo-night on my original indoor "studio". We got a call late last week that the construction crew will be ready to start our new bathroom this coming week. That's two weeks early, so I had to kick the demo into overdrive last night. I spent most of the night dismantling our basement gym and, more importantly, my little indoor studio. Previously, the studio was in the far left corner of the finished section of the basement, and that's where the new bathroom is going to be (not my first choice, but I have to concede it's the most practical location.) Since I'm forced to move everything, I'm thinking of a full reconfiguration. I have a few ideas, but none are ready for prime-time yet. I'll post photos once it's all set up. The one thing I kind of have to do this weekend is rehang the TV because my father-in-law is going to be visiting and it's one of the few opportunities I'll have to get some help when more than two hands are needed. The photo below is the original configuration - the new one will be bigger if nothing else!

View attachment 108388

i like the tv on a rolling cart, where i can adjust height when it pulls double duty.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWHJD9C

That tv looks a bit high??

and inquiring minds want to know: Did you lock the derailleur in-place for single speed training? :D

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
i like the tv on a rolling cart, where i can adjust height when it pulls double duty.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWHJD9C

That tv looks a bit high??

and inquiring minds want to know: Did you lock the derailleur in-place for single speed training? :D

No moving cart for me - I prefer the sense of permanence, you know? And no locking the derailleur, but TBH, I did consider getting a separate free hub and add a few Gear Clamps to have a SS option. ;)

The TV never felt too high. In fact, I was always happy with the angle of view - I felt comfortable enough in the saddle that I'm planning on using the height from the floor to the anchors to set the height in the new spot.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wednesday night Zwift rides are in full effect.
@MissJR and I set out on Road to Ruins.
Hoping to get the loop done in 1 hr.
I think we came up a few miles short.
Anyway it was a solid effort for both of us.
We used the new keep it together feature.
It allows rider of different w/kg stay together and use the draft more effectively.
The dirt is actually running much slower on a road bike now.
1571873376276.jpg

Screenshot_20191024-071353_Companion.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So if you have this steering feature, can you go off the course/crash into a huge ball of fire? I mean if not, whats the point?

This would be a fun thing to make interact with a video game.....get on this @Patrick
RipRowFull_600x600.png

Patrick

Staff member
So if you have this steering feature, can you go off the course/crash into a huge ball of fire? I mean if not, whats the point?

This would be a fun thing to make interact with a video game.....get on this @Patrick
RipRowFull_600x600.png

i'm wondering why there aren't elliptigos on there yet.
that seems like a no brainer. plenty of smart elliptical machines that are internet connected.
perhaps zwift should look into buying iFit.

Top Bottom