The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i got dropped 12 minutes in, then hung with a group of 4 for maybe 15 minutes, then got gobbled up, i never saw the front the second half of the race, thats for damn sure. i swear i dont ever feel a "relief" when being in the draft...

The Kalmyk

A47C574D-794F-4CB2-8484-E98CB7EE606A.jpeg

Averages 22mph for an hour on that bad boy!!!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
so i gotta get fatter? this seems counterproductive lol
I did a race on the same Libby Hill After Party course last night. ZP doesn't have me ranked b-cuz Wahoo Tickr fail so HR didn't record. w/kg avg was up there with the toppers but finished mid-pack because I suck. I no longer have any 2m power. Light guy on a flat course is rough. Need to drink mor porkchop milkshakes.

Honestly though, getting swamped and finished mid-pack is exactly what used to happen in real crits so I'm giving Zwift 10/10 for honestly replicating my real world mediocrity in the virtual world.

Somebody recommend me a new HR monitor? I've killed about 5 Garmin ones and now this Tickr seems to be dead now too.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a race on the same Libby Hill After Party course last night. ZP doesn't have me ranked b-cuz Wahoo Tickr fail so HR didn't record. w/kg avg was up there with the toppers but finished mid-pack because I suck. I no longer have any 2m power. Light guy on a flat course is rough. Need to drink mor porkchop milkshakes.

Honestly though, getting swamped and finished mid-pack is exactly what used to happen in real crits so I'm giving Zwift 10/10 for honestly replicating my real world mediocrity in the virtual world.

Somebody recommend me a new HR monitor? I've killed about 5 Garmin ones and now this Tickr seems to be dead now too.

i got 8 or so years out of my previous bontrager one, current one is 2 and no problems yet, i did notice the battery needs to be changed more frequently in this one than the last one did, but i think thats because they went to the dual mode BS on all of them and it uses more juice.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Polar H9.
will order. Thx.

Funny thing, Polar. Back in the day, Polar owned the HR market for bike & running but I haven't thought seriously about buying anything from them in over a decade. Actually, I'm a little surprised to see they are still in biz.

Around ca. 2003 I got me one of them fancy Polar HR watches with a built in altimeter and wireless speed/cadence sensors. It was rad. You could actually upload the data o a computer using an infra-red docking station. Total game changing. At the time I also had a primitive Garmin for hiking/backcountry skiing but to put GPS onto a watch was unthinkable. In hindsight it seems pretty silly that I used to carry around separate palm pilot, flip phone and an iPod, but anyway...

As I recall Polar made this really expensive "power meter" add-on option that attempted to measure power though a Rube-Goldbergian system attached that measured chain droop while pedaling, which is essentially like be like trying to find the current price of GameStop stock by carbon dating a mastadon.

goldsbar

I no longer have any 2m power.

CooSpo. $36, replaceable battery, hard to kill. Only downside is the monitor portion can pop off the strap if you smash your chest or somehow rub your arm across your chest while riding. Only a rare issue while MTBing.

1-2m power is key for Zwift races once you have the power to hang and don't have to do those efforts while you're already over FTP. Even many of the big climbs (not the Alpe or Ventoux) are stepped and have decent length drafting sections below 5%.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

plz post ride file, im dying to see if you can actually recover on that course, or i just suck

EDIT: just stalked this on zwift, i dont think im that much fatter than you, you averaged 202w while i averaged 269w?!

Last edited:

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
plz post ride file, im dying to see if you can actually recover on that course, or i just suck

EDIT: just stalked this on strava, i dont think im that much fatter than you, you averaged 202w while i averaged 269w?!

This particular edition got really super lazy mid-race. Zwift tells me my FTP is 4.04 w/kg which may be high but lets go with that (it was something like 4.4-4.5 back in the training days so 4 seems reasonable). @60.3kg that puts FTP at 244w. Not sure what the current thinking on threshold vs FTP but using 90% of FTP that puts LT more like 220w, which is in the "feels about right" category. Middle of this race I was certainly below threshold. Seems like your version of the race was just much hotter. And you got dropped so you had to work. n00b.

Top Bottom