The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Hi Gang!

I just joined Trainerroad a few weeks ago and am about to finish Sweet Spot Base Low Volume I. For those of you ahead of me, I would appreciate your views as to:

1. Do you find it better for MTB riding to dismiss Coach Chad's (over 85 RPMs) cadence advice and do you ride at lower cadences to build uphill/torque skills?
2. Any views/advice on where to go beyond the Base phase?

Thanks!

Carvegybe

Trainer bike’s been shifting like shit last couple of rides... chains overdue for a check, clean-n-lube. What are you folks using on your chains for indoor rides?

Last edited:
Trainer bike’s been shifting like shit last couple of rides... chains overdue for a chech, clean-n-lube. What are you folks using on your chains for indoor rides?
1546525305082.png

Need help with set-up
Using a smart Kinetic which only has ant+. Do I need to upgrade to the Bluetooth? Think indoor riding is inevitable this winter, so giving Zwift a try. Can I cancel Zwift when weather improves or am I locked into a yearly plan?

Need help with set-up
Using a smart Kinetic which only has ant+. Do I need to upgrade to the Bluetooth? Think indoor riding is inevitable this winter, so giving Zwift a try. Can I cancel Zwift when weather improves or am I locked into a yearly plan?
You can cancel or pause Zwift, no worries.

If you’re running it on your pc then you’ll need an ant+ Dongle fo receive sensor data. If your running it over iOS using Bluetooth you’ll need a C.A.B.L.E (converts ant+ to bluetooth) u use the one from North Pole engineering but you can also use the iiiis HR monitor which is also an ant+ BT bridge. If it’s on the PC and you already have the ant+ dongle it might be too far away from the sensor to read it or too much interference if it’s a laptop. Also, you might have another app using it.. usually garmin express in my experience.

Let us know.

Hi Gang!

I just joined Trainerroad a few weeks ago and am about to finish Sweet Spot Base Low Volume I. For those of you ahead of me, I would appreciate your views as to:

1. Do you find it better for MTB riding to dismiss Coach Chad's (over 85 RPMs) cadence advice and do you ride at lower cadences to build uphill/torque skills?
2. Any views/advice on where to go beyond the Base phase?

Thanks!

Carvegybe
1) I never follow the advise. Part of that is I use movies/shows to keep myself from going crazy. YMMV. But honestly I don't think that stuff is as important as the workout without that stuff.
2) Just move to build. Whichever one you find suitable for you. If you're having trouble choosing between a couple, they're probably close enough that it won't matter. I assume you're not choosing between a short-power plan and Triathalon for instance.

do you ride at lower cadences to build uphill/torque skills?

I don’t use trainer road, but I do have workouts that call for lower cadence workouts for the reason you note.
Low cadence on the trainer seems to make my knees hurt sometimes though, so as soon as I feel thet I stop.

and if i'm making all the watts on the trainer, why is it plugged in?

I've wondered that. Obviously if you stop pedaling you are no longer producing power, but they should have a capacitor setup to hold enough power in-between to keep enough energy to keep transmissions going, or a small battery. My big thought is it just adds costs and headaches for people who would have to start riding the bike to power it up.

There is at least one company/model that it works unplugged. Race warmups is a big reason why it'd make sense as opposed to running a power block through a cigarette lighter socket.

No idea. They'll think of something

got it - back-up when the cable wifi goes down, doubles as a back-up hot-spot.
also good for vanlyfe cause people take trainers with them on the road?
oh, and to be able to log the warm-up miles in the team tent before a race.
going to need some product placement at cx nationals for this.

got it - back-up when the cable wifi goes down, doubles as a back-up hot-spot.
also good for vanlyfe cause people take trainers with them on the road?
oh, and to be able to log the warm-up miles in the team tent before a race.
going to need some product placement at cx nationals for this.
You can do that with a Neo and your garmin

i'm really more curious about what we'll see based off of this aquisition. The connected thing is my own selfish thought.
I always wondered why Garmin didnt make trainers. Now I dont have to wonder.

Back
Top Bottom