The Hurricane Ida Chimney Rock Relief Effort Thread

Cafe Dave

Rode the Ballfield Loop and most of Yellow today for the first time after the storm I was expecting a big mess, but as others have posted, significant amount of work have been put into it already. That loop is running smooth and I think I can honestly refer that loop to younger or new riders to practice on.... but that stench connecting by the stream crossing to the road. I'd avoid for now. Some of that mud may not be just mud. Your nose knows.

Major props to all those involved in the TM here at CR.

Is it wishful thinking that all lantern flies were washed away?

Tree and location (bike shown for scale)
1631420338448.png

CNJRider

Joker
But that stench connecting by the stream crossing to the road. I'd avoid for now. Some of that mud may not be just mud. Your nose knows.
Is this the crossing marked by the purple X in the map below?

To avoid that one, I have been taking the spur off of the black loop behind the ball fields that leads to the adjacent neighborhood. From there, I take Arbor Way to Laurel to Primrose and make a right on Vosseller. Then I hop the curb near the Camp Cromwell property and get back on the trail that leads you to Gilbride where you can cross the street and hit up the yellow or orange trailheads.

Adds a smooth but hilly roadie segment on low trafficked roads to spice things up and avoids that stream crossing folks have been advising about.

7CED165C-FF67-4BEA-B0E4-47D95D5A4F65.jpeg

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe that section needs to be shoveled out. It’s sewage so it’s not going to dry to dirt in a few days. It’s gonna take some time.

Cafe Dave

Is this the crossing marked by the purple X in the map below?

To avoid that one, I have been taking the spur off of the black loop behind the ball fields that leads to the adjacent neighborhood. From there, I take Arbor Way to Laurel to Primrose and make a right on Vosseller. Then I hop the curb near the Camp Cromwell property and get back on the trail that leads you to Gilbride where you can cross the street and hit up the yellow or orange trailheads.

Adds a smooth but hilly roadie segment on low trafficked roads to spice things up and avoids that stream crossing folks have been advising about.

1631497780950.png
Yes - X (A) is the area to avoid 🤢

I've never tried that road route, but is B open? The Lot was closed off so I didn't try - but looks like a fun alternative.

I rode to C to get to Yellow. The little section from A-C has a nice little re-route, too.

CNJRider

Joker
Yes - X (A) is the area to avoid 🤢

I've never tried that road route, but is B open? The Lot was closed off so I didn't try - but looks like a fun alternative.

I rode to C to get to Yellow. The little section from A-C has a nice little re-route, too.
The B lot was blocked off from Gilbride as of yesterday evening. But you would never have guessed it coming from the trail leading to it from Vosseller Rd. The one that is benchcut into the hillside is primo.

CNJRider

Joker
Just to give a sense of how deeply eroded the streambed is at the top of red, here is a pic of my 29er inside of it. Easily at stem height.

20210912_170019.jpg

Here is a less dramatic shot of the approach coming from the Newman side. It's definitely hike a bike unless you have some impressive trials chops.

20210912_165911.jpg

The_Mountainside_Menace

Just to give a sense of how deeply eroded the streambed is at the top of red, here is a pic of my 29er inside of it. Easily at stem height.

View attachment 167092

Here is a less dramatic shot of the approach coming from the Newman side. It's definitely hike a bike unless you have some impressive trials chops.

View attachment 167093
I originally thought I could attempt to ride that streambed erosion. Not sure what I was thinking. I got a few feet from the edge and almost fell in.

I will say that despite the major erosion spots, there wasn't too much small stuff to work on and the park was in better shape than I had anticipated. You can tell volunteers had already gotten to the small stuff. I started to move rocks on a few of the areas of erosion on yellow before climbing up to the hawk watch. I didn't get too far to be honest. It really needs a crew hauling up rocks and rebuilding 2 areas that are nearly unrideable. The rest is loose, but seems fine. With more people walking and riding on it it'll settle in just fine. I figured most of my single effort would be best served by trimming a few of the areas on white.

I am not sure what should happen with this area. This newly formed pond is actually pretty cool, but this area is going to be a disaster every time it rains hard if they don't do something about all these rocks that washed into this area.

1631540666071.png

1631540639604.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This newly formed pond is actually pretty cool, but this area is going to be a disaster every time it rains hard if they don't do something about all these rocks that washed into this area.

Yeah, that one puzzles me as well. There are a few places we have found where the stream now goes under the rubble piles...for now. I do not think that is a good long term strategy. The amount of debris at the bottom of yellow is astounding.

The_Mountainside_Menace

Yeah, that one puzzles me as well. There are a few places we have found where the stream now goes under the rubble piles...for now. I do not think that is a good long term strategy. The amount of debris at the bottom of yellow is astounding.
Yes, it is definitely flowing, but I think it will just overflow with the littlest bit of rain. It is crazy, but I'm not that surprised. When that amount of water flows, it is extremely powerful. It is exactly how every fireroad in Watchung looks. The gross part is all the dead animals that got trapped under debris. Some areas smell so bad.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Very last minute session for Tuesday 9/14. High Tech was able to provide a few guys so...Meeting at 8am at the no parking pull off on Chimney Rock Rd right below the guardrail trail/Orange (across from the red/damn trailhead). Even if you can only join for an hour or 2, it's helpful.

hls811

Very last minute session for Tuesday 9/14. High Tech was able to provide a few guys so...Meeting at 8am at the no parking pull off on Chimney Rock Rd right below the guardrail trail/Orange (across from the red/damn trailhead). Even if you can only join for an hour or 2, it's helpful.
I really wish I could blow off work tomorrow and do this instead... BUT, I did renew my JORBA membership yesterday!

eastbloc

Has anyone noticed that the dam appears to be damaged at the bottom looking from Chimney Rock Road? Large chunks of concrete have broken away from the dam structure. I didn't take a picture but I will tomorrow.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tuesday, September 14

Kirt & 5 of the High Tech guys got out today to do some work. Schedules were real tight this week so they did the best they could. Apologies to all of you who want to come out and help. We're trying to line up TM sessions for the weekends. Stay tuned.

The guys started with the Guardrail Climb. Looks incredible now:

B4gYfOu.jpg

YPn5iyt.jpg

BdMRnj2.jpg

After lunch they went to work on red. These are from several different places in the park.

sbBEO0y.jpg

zAjwlhJ.jpg

7ceFnOW.jpg

phev6XZ.jpg

Big thanks to Kirt & the crew for the work today.

The major gulley on upper red remains a quandary. We're working with the park to figure out what to do to address that.

Cafe Dave

A BIG THANK YOU to @Kirt @Norm and High Tech! And of course the trail reports, info and feedback in this thread have been helpful, too. CR has been on my mind and regret that I couldn't get to the TM session.. but glad there are other ways to contribute.; here, now or later.

Great pics. Keep them coming all! Unfortunately My father has been ill so I've been helping out where I can during the last few months.. the doc visits/procedures keep getting more intense and torturous. Anyway I'll try to contribute to TM where I can - even if it means delivering Pizzas and Donuts and Fresh Fruits to balance out your healthy diets... and of course Selzer water or Coffee

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions