The Hovercraft Sausages Weekend Report 11-3/4

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Races, Group Rides, and TM Sessions

For now, take a look at the MTBNJ Calendar for this. There's a Cross race on Sunday, a Blue Mountain Death Loop Saturday, and Fair Hills Sunday. There are TM sessions at Tourne, Hartshorne, Sourlands, and South Mountain this weekend. All the links are in the calendar entries.

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (10-30) - "FUN, FUN, FUN.....Single speed heaven is in great shape. In a fewweeks the temps will make hard packed and perfect."

Allamuchy North Average (10-31) - "I was at Allamuchy North yesterday. It's pretty wet in spots with a lot of water running down some of the doubletrack. This weekend it should be decent though." and "I rode Allamuchy Waterloo side on Thursday. I'd say conditions were average to below average. Some muddy and wet spots in problem areas." and "Tranquilility side was still wet with some standing water on the older trails."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Unknown (10-25) - Status changed due to much rain.

Blue Mountain Good (10-28) - "Not in NJ, but Blue Mt was fantastic today!!!"

Chimney Rock Good (10-30) - "Chimney Rock is in relatively good shape as well. I went up there for a hike, didn't even bring my bike figuring it would be a swamp, and it wasn't even mushy. Spoke to 1 rider who pretty much hit every trail and he said there was a puddle here and there, that's it." and "CR is good from what I've heard."

Hartshorne & Huber Good (11-2) - "I just got back from riding Hartshorne and pretty much did the whole place, and I was reminded why I used to ride here so much. This place just demands to be ridden. I've been purposely staying away for about 2 1/2 months now because the conditions were some of the worst I've ever seen. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on the conditions due to the TM and the much needed rain. The leaves are coming down but it is totally rideable. Actually they are helping in some areas. A lot of the soft sand areas have been fixed, except for a few tolerable turns and other spots. Overall a vast improvement. There are a few loose sections still and washouts but totally normal for any area, especially Hartshorne. Overall conditions are good, you can come back and ride here again and have a big fat smile on your face that you did. Plus, we are supposed to get a little more rain tonight or tomorrow, and if the TM does happen this weekend conditions will stay good. Anyway, my two cents for ya."

Jungle Habitat Good (10-31) - ""trails are in great shape here at ringwood/ramapo and JH. leaf cover heavybut still plenty more leaves to fall."

Kittatinny Valley Good (10-28) - "KVSP was in good shape but be cautioned, there are a lot of downed limbs. on the white trail, after switch on the first down hill there is tree across the trail. other than that, all good."

Lewis Morris Good (10-28) - "Lewis Morris trails are dry and in excellent shape. I was pleasantly surprised."

Mercer County Park Poor (10-25) - Historically a wet park.

Mahlon Dickerson Good (10-31) - "mahlon is in excellent condition. firm, and plenty of traction under the leaves. on top of them, not so much...."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (10-31) - "trails are in great shape here at ringwood/ramapo and JH. leaf cover heavybut still plenty more leaves to fall." and "Rinwgood and Ramapo both in great condition. Seldom used trails are hard to find right now with leaves down."

Round Valley Good (10-28) - "Totally enjoyable and rideable. Started at the Old Mountain Rd parking lot. I didn't come across any standing water or mud. Lots of wet leaves, but strangely non-slippery. I guess they haven't had a chance to decompose and get slimey yet.I stopped and turned around at the big grassy field just east of the southern dam, so I can't speak for the trails beyond that point, although they are generally more likely to get muddy. Was a sunny, relatively chilly (high 50's) day. High winds - there were white caps on the reservoir - nothing big enough to surf on, but would have been a blast for an 8-yr old Eskimo kid on a Boogie Board."

Six Mile Good (10-30)- "6MR was in good shape Tues night. A few wet spots in the usual areas." and "6 Mile has a few wet spots here & there but overall the trails are good."

Sourlands Good (11-2) - "Nice and dry, great conditions with lots of fresh leaves on the trails."

Tourne Good (10-28) - "Conditions @ Tourne are just fine."

Wawayanda Good (10-30) - "Hi Norm,I haven't been on the trails this week but since it hasn't rained since Saturday morning, the conditions should be dry and fast."

Wildcat WMA Unknown (10-25) - Status changed due to much rain.

Last edited:

xc62701

I was at Allamuchy North yesterday. It's pretty wet in spots with a lot of water running down some of the doubletrack. This weekend it should be decent though.

xc62701

Sure - what else do you want me to survey? The Ice Cream Climb is sweet covered in leaves on a singlespeed by the way ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anything you feel like riding? The more detail and personal stories the better!

Tonebuckets

Hartshorne

Norm,

I just got back from riding Hartshorne and pretty much did the whole place, and I was reminded why I used to ride here so much. This place just demands to be ridden. I've been purposely staying away for about 2 1/2 months now because the conditions were some of the worst I've ever seen. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on the conditions due to the TM and the much needed rain. The leaves are coming down but it is totally rideable. Actually they are helping in some areas. A lot of the soft sand areas have been fixed, except for a few tolerable turns and other spots. Overall a vast improvement. There are a few loose sections still and washouts but totally normal for any area, especially Hartshorne. Overall conditions are good, you can come back and ride here again and have a big fat smile on your face that you did. Plus, we are supposed to get a little more rain tonight or tomorrow, and if the TM does happen this weekend conditions will stay good. Anyway, my two cents for ya. :)

J-Dro

Sourlands update

Update on the Sourlands Preserve. Nice and dry, great conditions with lots of fresh leaves on the trails.

In fact, Saturday would be a great day to visit there and help with TM @9am (shamless plug).:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ryan - no, I won't. Can't get that much of the day free.

Tony - thanks for the update. Nice and detailed, well done!

Jeff - thanks also. Good luck with the TM and take pics, especially artsy ones! :)

RonzNd4Spd

Norm,

I just got back from riding Hartshorne and pretty much did the whole place, and I was reminded why I used to ride here so much. This place just demands to be ridden. I've been purposely staying away for about 2 1/2 months now because the conditions were some of the worst I've ever seen. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on the conditions due to the TM and the much needed rain. The leaves are coming down but it is totally rideable. Actually they are helping in some areas. A lot of the soft sand areas have been fixed, except for a few tolerable turns and other spots. Overall a vast improvement. There are a few loose sections still and washouts but totally normal for any area, especially Hartshorne. Overall conditions are good, you can come back and ride here again and have a big fat smile on your face that you did. Plus, we are supposed to get a little more rain tonight or tomorrow, and if the TM does happen this weekend conditions will stay good. Anyway, my two cents for ya. :)

Hey..norm this "IS" my back yard I'm about 8 miles away and have ridden there almost EVERYDAY since april.....it is FAST "if" you know it and it is very challenging when you ride with a "TIME TRIAL" mentality...or mentalality!...kinda like mine!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was at Mahlon today and I concur with Sean's assessment. Under the leaves, traction is nice. On top, a bit slick but not awful. Hit the common spots I know and it was all good. I need Sean/Brett to show me more trails in there so I can make my loop bigger. The more rocky spots gave me some problems with the leaves but all in all, great shape.

Top Bottom