The Groovy Heart of MTB

thegock

The 9/1/19 weekend Wall Street Journal had a great half page plus article by Jason Gay, a closet cyclist, titled "The Groovy Heart of MTB." It is about Kate Courtney, an XC World Champion, who grew up in NICA near the base of Mt. Tam. The article is behind a paywall, but worth seeking out. Just another example of why NICA is the best thing ever.

That same Sunday morning, I went to ride Six Mile Run with two of my friends, who don't like to climb.

At the top of a small climb, while waiting for my guy, I stopped to talk to a dad with 11 and 9 year old sons along for the ride. They said that they were having a great time, but the 9 year old had been knocked off his bike when passed by a kid with a yellow and black Fox jersey. I had noticed the guy passing me in an inconsiderate manner. When I asked my guy, he called the Fox guy "aggressive." I talked to the nine year old and he mentioned that his neck hurt. PUNCHLINE: Saw the Dad and his boys on the next Sunday, 9/8/19, as well as the dude in the yellow and black Fox jersey.

PRO TIP : if you are knocking nine year old kids off their bike at Six Mile Run, you may not be winning any National Championships soon.

Last edited:
As much as I love 6 mile... I try to avoid it on the weekends. Jdog once mentioned how he created a monster. If only some of the trails were directional, it would help control the flow. Too bad, since we cannot even get dick heads to not ride there when its mud.

I wonder if that isn't the same jackwagon I yelled at a few weeks ago for going flat out the opposite way everyone else was going on a Saturday mid day with a bunch of kids around. I told him and his buddy to do that riding either way early morning or during the week or they're going to hurt someone.

I wonder if that isn't the same jackwagon I yelled at a few weeks ago for going flat out the opposite way everyone else was going on a Saturday mid day with a bunch of kids around. I told him and his buddy to do that riding either way early morning or during the week or they're going to hurt someone.

He had the same jersey on both Sundays.

I think I heard an interview with Jason gay on VeloNews. It’s great to have a cyclist doing the sports column for such a big paper.

stick in the spokes.

oh, we aren't allowed to say that. my bad.

stick in the spokes.

oh, we aren't allowed to say that. my bad.
No we are not.

But there are other ways, being over 6ft. I sure can intimidate a rider approaching, and keep my line, to force them off theirs.

Not very fun around that sort of riding, so I usually heed to being a nice friendly fellow rider of MTB.

:)

I would have to determine what is the way that everybody goes first...

Back
Top Bottom