The Great Clif Bar Showdown

Are you buying cases, variety packs or just a multitude of various flavors?

It varies. About half I can get at Trader Joes. The rest I Was able to get at trisports.com. The Iced Gingerbread I needed to buy a case from Drugstore.com. Yes I may be a little off the deep end but I'm having...well, you know...a good time.

Hey you can't spell funeral without fun!

Half glass full. It's only 30 degrees out.

Hey you can't spell funeral without fun!

Half glass full. It's only 30 degrees out.

And you can't spell manslaughter without, well, never mind.

It is a bit chilly out, I just got back from my second ride of the day.

I'm curious about the "cake like" flavors, do they taste sweet?

i would invest heavily in the pear apple cobbler, pumpkin pie was lack luster imo

I expect pumpkin pie to be in the same mold as Iced Gingerbread and Carrot Cake.

I have 1 round in the hopper to post and should get another ride in tomorrow. Figure I can convince myself to keep going on these long rides as it gets colder by convincing myself I'm doing it for everyone's enjoyment.

I picked up one of these in Tahoe, your collection is incomplete!

I cant eat it due to work, so like.....we may be able to work a deal here Norm :D

Attachments

• hempbrownie.jpg
    hempbrownie.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 178

I cant eat it due to work, so like.....we may be able to work a deal here Norm :D

LOL that's awesome! How awful would it be to lose your job because of a Clif bar? (Aside from losing your job due to posting reviews of Clif bars with Cap'n Crunch pics)

I have all the "active" ones but it seems like they do one-offs randomly, like lemon poppy, and apparently hemp. Who knew?

i sure as sh!t did. that's how i put this whole little game together. it's the only thing that makes sense. i mean think about it: norm is drinking beer. he appears happy. he's having fun on a bike. this is not freaking normal.

Nothing is "norm"al and I am going to summon mass resources to investigate such matter. This can not go on for much longer! What do we do if happy becomes fun which evolves to estatic and goodness what is next!?!?!!? Instead of food relief where rice and water are dropped, cliff bars in flavors which Norm so dictates will be distributed. :rofl:

Ne hoot, for me at least there comes a certain time where cliff bars, gu gels, and accelerade are not enough. I need me some real food! Some times it comes in the form of PB&J or some delicious oreo cookie, the food sold in a bike shop will not cut it.

Ne hoot, for me at least there comes a certain time where cliff bars, gu gels, and accelerade are not enough. I need me some real food! Some times it comes in the form of PB&J or some delicious oreo cookie, the food sold in a bike shop will not cut it.

For me, at least right now, Clif bars are "real" food. Over the years I've gone with nothing but powders and after a while I need something solid in my stomach. Clif bars are solid enough up through what I'm riding now. Trying to get all your calories through liquid was really difficult, and it's what led me to drop Accelerade for almost a year several years ago.

Its the poppy seed products that make you false positive, not hemp unless they have cooked some special variety with fat and used that to make the bar. Clif wouldn't be that stupid.

Last edited:
For me, at least right now, Clif bars are "real" food. Over the years I've gone with nothing but powders and after a while I need something solid in my stomach. Clif bars are solid enough up through what I'm riding now. Trying to get all your calories through liquid was really difficult, and it's what led me to drop Accelerade for almost a year several years ago.

please stay on topic, this is about clif bars. :D

Nice find. I had not heard of these.

We have specific guidance, servicewide policy, not to consume any products containing hemp or hemp byproducts. Back in the late 90's people were using it as an excuse for popping positive and some were actually acquitted, prompting more clear policy guidance.

Thanks for the "net lawyer" comments but i'll abstain from the hemp brownie clif bar. :D

Round 2

November 18, 2008 (3 hours, 44 miles)

Today pits the overall #1 seed against an untested newcomer.

1. Cool Mint Chocolate
UNRANKED: Iced Gingerbread

I got a shipment of stuff yesterday which included a case of the Iced Gingerbread Clif bars. In the past I've liked them so I'm willing to put it up against the best, the current World Champion Cool Mint Chocolate. Temps are low today so not sure what to expect from this showdown.

Right out of the gate I was leery of this pair for the ride. They both have sharp tastes, like a pair of streaky 3 point shooters in at the same time. Is there enough room for both of these? Is there enough ball to go around? When the going gets tough and someoen needs to man up in the middle, which bar is going to be able to do that?

Your contenders, pre-cut:

3044918802_cb98588cb7.jpg

The Cool Mint was good to start, but early in the ride it was almost too flavorful. I picked 2 pieces of that first before I grabed a Gingerbread. Then another, and another. After 3 in a row, the Gingerbread was starting to wear down the Cool Mint. Was this as good? Could it hold up to the Cool Mint? Then I got another Cool Mint and the showdown was over. I'll give the Gingerbread its props, it's a good bar. But up against the champ it can't compete over the long haul.

This was a tough ride. I picked a very hilly route, and the wind was all over me today. My first 12 miles was predominantly uphill. After an hour I had barely gone 12 miles. By the time I got to the 2 hour mark I was feeling pretty tired and I was looking for some balance in the flavors of these things. I think either one would work very well with a Crunchy Peanut Butter or Chocolate Chip, or both for a 4+ hour ride.

In all, the champ remains at the top but I'm not sure that will stand the test of time:

1. Cool Mint Chocolate
2. Iced Gingerbread

Up next for round 3: Yesterday's clash of 2 newcomers, the much hyped Pear Apple Strudel takes on a relative unknown Cranberry Apple Cherry.

Up next for round 3: Yesterday's clash of 2 newcomers, the much hyped Pear Apple Strudel takes on a relative unknown Cranberry Apple Cherry.

as stupid as this is norm, i'm really looking forward to reading these. it's akin to watching bevis and butthead in 2008.

i'm also very interested in both of the new challengers.

as stupid as this is norm, i'm really looking forward to reading these. it's akin to watching bevis and butthead in 2008.

i'm also very interested in both of the new challengers.

Awesome! As long as someone remains entertained I'm serving some purpose. Funny, the Round 2 knockout blow came on Bartley Road, right around that pre-school at the base of River Rd/Drakestown.

Next time I'm up that way I will a) go up or down N Four Bridges and b) take a picture of your house, and maybe c) take a picture of you!

Keep em coming Norm! :rofl:

Atleast with this you can think about what your tastebuds are feeling as opposed to how your legs are feeling.

Back
Top Bottom