The Grand Ave Project

RobW

The kitchen cabinets are in, molding and kick panels in as well. Next is a backsplash. I guess onto other big projects...I met with numerous landscapers and hardscapers. All seemed to be in the same price range for a 13x18 patio and it just seems they all are inflating the hourly rate. That being said I decided to go with one guy who would install the pavers I had from my father in law. They are 16x16. We decided that I get the pavers to the House and I did. All 250!! Ok I had some help. I set up an appointment with the guy and he cancelled an hour before requesting the next day. I reach out the next day and no response.. at this point i was pretty pissedand to add to the stress, I’ve got a backyard first birthday party for RJ in the middle of August. Thankfully, I have other people through the bidding process. I decided to up the patio game and extend it to the side of my house to the gate. Well those quotes were atrocious and can’t see spending that money just for some labor and 10yards of stone.
I reached out to my father in law asking if I could use the hired help. He decided to come by that night(Thursday) to discuss my plans and showed him my multiple drawings ( all through HS I had technical drawing and designed 6 houses and multiple landscape designs for each so I mindF’d this to the fullest) he appreciates that sort of thing and we talked some ideas through. Friday, he was there dropping off supplies to frame out the patio. I texted him thanking him for that and no response.
Fast forward to early Saturday morning. It’s about 645am just coming downstairs with RJ and I look out to see him and two guys wheeling tools into the backyard. He really takes me by surprise all the time and has that lets get this done attitude. I wasn’t complaining! Guys start ripping up the yard, I jump right In on the fun while still in my pajamaas. Not even five minutes later he’s telling me to get the driveway clear because stone dust and crushed rock is on its way. Ok move the cars and talk through the plans again and tell him I want steps to go the full length of deck. My brother in law comes by and the framing begins for the patio. Layed the crush rock and stone dust. Ran out of stone dust 3/4 of the way which was ok. I ended the day at 5:30 laser leveling and scraping
Day one.
EB2980B9-F659-4D2E-9D37-90FDAFDFC03D.jpeg

12AB7518-11E8-4890-AD99-12917D432020.jpeg

Day two- could hardly sleep, my body was exhausted but my mind wasn’t. I had work 6-6 today and they came back and got some pavers down and some dirt moved.
3F6C3564-3C46-4874-8566-B4E402BB6F17.jpeg

RobW

So I guess the last time I updated was during the grind of getting the house in order for a backyard party and planting grass and putting stone down.. well, it rained for the party and I had about 6 pop up tents set up and the rain stopped just as the party started, we had a great bartender and grill lady.
Anywho... life goes on and I told Margaret it was time to put my resources into myself and my personal goals. I was weighing in at 225, my all time highest which I’m not proud of. I Picked the bike up when I could and started riding to work on the nicer days this fall. In talks of my close buddies, I made a goal to ride to work as much as I could for two weeks..I did what I could and got myself back into the swing of things. Purchased the correct winter gear with some help of y’all to ride through the winter. Now BIYF is here and I feel very motivated and have some substantial goals for the spring. I did the Marty’s fat 50 and finished within my goal of 5 hours. I am registered for the grape gravel crusher, will be registering for the monkey knife fight and hopefully HOH.. these are all rides to build my riding abilities and break down the barriers in my head. I look forward to the adventures and pain so I can accomplish my goals. I am now down to 205 and feeling great.
On the homefront- the house has a few phases ahead and we will complete as we can. More to follow in the coming weeks.

rick81721

Lothar
So I guess the last time I updated was during the grind of getting the house in order for a backyard party and planting grass and putting stone down.. well, it rained for the party and I had about 6 pop up tents set up and the rain stopped just as the party started, we had a great bartender and grill lady.
Anywho... life goes on and I told Margaret it was time to put my resources into myself and my personal goals. I was weighing in at 225, my all time highest which I’m not proud of. I Picked the bike up when I could and started riding to work on the nicer days this fall. In talks of my close buddies, I made a goal to ride to work as much as I could for two weeks..I did what I could and got myself back into the swing of things. Purchased the correct winter gear with some help of y’all to ride through the winter. Now BIYF is here and I feel very motivated and have some substantial goals for the spring. I did the Marty’s fat 50 and finished within my goal of 5 hours. I am registered for the grape gravel crusher, will be registering for the monkey knife fight and hopefully HOH.. these are all rides to build my riding abilities and break down the barriers in my head. I look forward to the adventures and pain so I can accomplish my goals. I am now down to 205 and feeling great.
On the homefront- the house has a few phases ahead and we will complete as we can. More to follow in the coming weeks.

Was wondering about this. So your avatar of the fat guy drinking beer was pretty accurate??

Johnny Utah

Keep moving! I like where this is going!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
awesome - hope we can hook up for HOH. Maybe we can join @wonderturtle ??

Nice job on the fat 50 - great results in crap conditions.

Mountain Bike Mike

Was wondering about this. So your avatar of the fat guy drinking beer was pretty accurate??

Minus the “Send it” part.. More like - “I’m not gunna ever send it”

Not gonna lie, the uptick in activity from you makes me smile. :)

Cyclical pattern though... i’m skeptical to see how long he hangs in there for.. the support system at home is much stronger now so there is potential... Not sure how he’ll fair when the temp rises and he breaks a sweat.

:popcorn:

Reactions: rlb

RobW

Cyclical pattern though... i’m skeptical to see how long he hangs in there for.. the support system at home is much stronger now so there is potential... Not sure how he’ll fair when the temp rises and he breaks a sweat.

Maybe we need to ride together again so I can fill in the gaps for you.

Reactions: rlb

wonderturtle

awesome - hope we can hook up for HOH. Maybe we can join @wonderturtle ??

probably not doing the gravel grape crusher this year (family event later in day). I did it last year and it was my favorite "gravel grinder" to date. just a really fun course!! not too challenging hill wise, just fun. highly recommended.

I do plan on doing HOH again and am looking to do a few others. maybe Monkey Knife Fight..never done, looks hard ;)

I am in a similar situation as Rob (i.e., trying to get back in shape after letting myself go a bit last year with a goal of doing a few of longer "gravel grinder" type rides (and HOH)

with that said, weather permitting, I plan on doing a long mixed surface ride every Sunday morning. so far we've left from my house at 8a. the more the merrier ... @Flaubert :) I plan on gradually increasing the mileage (and maybe working in hillier routes as time goes on). pace is whatever the slowest guy can handle (so far that has basically been me) this is last Sunday's ride... https://www.strava.com/activities/2060302058

RobW

probably not doing the gravel grape crusher this year (family event later in day). I did it last year and it was my favorite "gravel grinder" to date. just a really fun course!! not too challenging hill wise, just fun. highly recommended.

I do plan on doing HOH again and am looking to do a few others. maybe Monkey Knife Fight..never done, looks hard ;)

I am in a similar situation as Rob (i.e., trying to get back in shape after letting myself go a bit last year with a goal of doing a few of longer "gravel grinder" type rides (and HOH)

with that said, weather permitting, I plan on doing a long mixed surface ride every Sunday morning. so far we've left from my house at 8a. the more the merrier ... @Flaubert :) I plan on gradually increasing the mileage (and maybe working in hillier routes as time goes on). pace is whatever the slowest guy can handle (so far that has basically been me) this is last Sunday's ride... https://www.strava.com/activities/2060302058
I was going to come out two weeks ago but was dragging my ass in the morning. i got out for a ride later in the AM though. this sunday i think i have allaire in the works but maybe i can get jordon on board for this. ill keep you posted.
Going all in on Monkey Knife Fight o_O
Good luck though...
i really have no idea what to expect with this ride... insights?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was going to come out two weeks ago but was dragging my ass in the morning. i got out for a ride later in the AM though. this sunday i think i have allaire in the works but maybe i can get jordon on board for this. ill keep you posted.

i really have no idea what to expect with this ride... insights?
It never worked out for me to do it, but some of the climbs are ☠️. 20% and gravel.

HOH is probably better suited for beginner gravel people since the route really isn’t hell at all.

Johnny Utah

@Flaubert If there is no snow on the ground come keep me company at the D&R fat epic next weekend......90 something miles of flatness and I am on a packed fatbike most likely rolling at 10mph.

rick81721

Lothar

Did I ever mention how smart this guy is??

wonderturtle

back on topic...

first of all congrats Rob. I am new to this thread (had not noticed it previously). charming house and looks like youre really giving it a second life!

as you know we also have an old house (built 1910).

we are redoing the kitchen (well, having it redone). they are finishing up demo at this point.

some cool finds:

(1) a window hidden in the wall

(2) some cool bead board on walls and ceiling (since removed)

(3) we always thought the kitchen and the second floor above it were done at same time but with walls removed its clear that the 2nd floor was done some time after the kitchen (the wood is considerably older on the first floor and in the 3rd picture you can see the roof line)

(4) when they hung the second floor.... well lets just say not even close to modern codes. the contractor basically re-framed the support for the 2nd floor (3rd pic)

(5) Rob - it was cool to see your before (the 3D rendering) and after.... looks practically identical. 4th pic is 3D rendering looking from our dining room back into the kitchen through an opening we are having done.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Top Bottom