The Grand Ave Project

RobW

back on topic...

first of all congrats Rob. I am new to this thread (had not noticed it previously). charming house and looks like youre really giving it a second life!

as you know we also have an old house (built 1910).

we are redoing the kitchen (well, having it redone). they are finishing up demo at this point.

some cool finds:

(1) a window hidden in the wall

(2) some cool bead board on walls and ceiling (since removed)

(3) we always thought the kitchen and the second floor above it were done at same time but with walls removed its clear that the 2nd floor was done some time after the kitchen (the wood is considerably older on the first floor and in the 3rd picture you can see the roof line)

(4) when they hung the second floor.... well lets just say not even close to modern codes. the contractor basically re-framed the support for the 2nd floor (3rd pic)

(5) Rob - it was cool to see your before (the 3D rendering) and after.... looks practically identical. 4th pic is 3D rendering looking from our dining room back into the kitchen through an opening we are having done.

View attachment 84861View attachment 84862View attachment 84863View attachment 84864
Thanks mark, it’s been one hell of a time and I know what you’re going through. It’s nice to see how houses were built then and what can be done with a little labor and updated layouts. I have no doubts that you’ll be happy with the outcome. That ceiling I would keep but strip it and paint it white. It’s a timeless piece

wonderturtle

Thanks mark, it’s been one hell of a time and I know what you’re going through. It’s nice to see how houses were built then and what can be done with a little labor and updated layouts. I have no doubts that you’ll be happy with the outcome. That ceiling I would keep but strip it and paint it white. It’s a timeless piece

We took it down since it was pretty low, there was a 3 feet dead space between the ceiling and the floor above and we’re now going to have a nice very high ceiling in the kitchen

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Life is not a straight line.....
E1BCC081-CA4D-437F-86B1-836689680172.jpeg

If we’re only measured mid-way we might as well .... well, you know.

wonderturtle

That ceiling I would keep but strip it and paint it white. It’s a timeless piece

This suggestion reminds me too of another thing I’ve discovered in this project... how tastes have changed!

We had no idea that bead board was there. It was covered by dry wall. I suppose at some point someone thought it was “dated” looking and chose to cover it. Now we think it adds character and want to keep such things ( and we would have if the high ceiling wasn’t an option). In fact when i saw the bead board on the wall i stopped the demo for a little bit and talked to the contractor about preserving it (but he rightly pointed out that the bead board on the walls were all beat up and missing in spots so not worth it) unlike the ceiling which was relatively pristine

Which is another thing...apparently back in the day having a high ceiling wasn’t something people sought. Interesting stuff

Last edited:

RobW

IMG_3791[1].JPG
IMG_3794[1].JPG

the build is finally done. very happy with this build 21lbs even

Soma Double Cross steel frame goodness
Carbon fork
Hunt wheels- 4 season
Compass Tyre Bon Jon Pass 35's tubeless
SRAM Force 1x cranks
SRAM Force RD long cage
SRAM Rival 10-42 cassette
SRAM Force 1X shifters/brake levers
TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes (thanks @MarcLewis )
XT rotors
Salsa Carbon Cowbell bars
Cane Creek 40 Headset
Thomson Stem
Thomson Seatpost
Fabric Scoop saddle

Along with other news, We are also expecting a baby girl at the end of July so we may be going with our original plans and add on a master suite out the back above the kitchen.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wishing you and the wife smooth sailing on multiple fronts!!!

qclabrat

All the best on number 2 Rob, this is when it gets nutz
What size chain ring are you running up front? I was considering the BonJons but ended up with Gordon RnRs, also in tan sidewalls. Sharp looking bike

RobW

All the best on number 2 Rob, this is when it gets nutz
What size chain ring are you running up front? I was considering the BonJons but ended up with Gordon RnRs, also in tan sidewalls. Sharp looking bike
thank you, i am running a 44t- gearing is a tad weird on the road, I have the same cassette on the MTB but with a 32 so its more bearable. ill get used to it, if anything itll build character.

Top Bottom