The Garbage Heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

THATmanMANNY

Sorry to say this but i feel a majority of roadies are a bunch of hardass, d-bags sometimes from the racer group not much so the rec riders. I say this from experiences from some race people I know (no one here) and cause after a ton of people or more passed me at my tri yesterday while I was running back with my bike. NO ONE ASKED IF I NEEDED HELP! I had tube and tool. I just needed a pump for like 1min. The only person that asked was a 60 yr old woman but she had dropped her pump on the ride. What I should have said next was do you want to switch bikes then? jk

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was suggested a while ago. Today I was finally moved to create it. See, we don't like to delete posts. In fact, I really dislike it. But if something is particularly off topic, misdirected, or negative, we're going to move it here.

I apologize to Manny in advance for making an example of him. But someone has to start it...

THATmanMANNY

It's okay. But I don't think it's really off topic. That was my race experience. It wasn't meant to be negative... more like.... I am still not over it. I am a very nice person and always offer a helping hand but some riders do rub me the wrong way and I'm sure everyone has experienced it from one ride or another. Goes to show at times we can't always be nice including me.

Just like to add that it all depends on the circumstance(s) the rider is in. Going for personal best, placement, or whatever else. So...(shrugging shoulders)

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hear ya, I really do. But the spirit of the original post was "why we ride" and discussing the positives in the race day experience, or the positive of why we ride at all. Truth be told, you just happened to trigger this thread which has been in the making for a long time. Trust me, this thread will eventually be many, many pages. And you will essentially be the author of the biggest post ever.

In fact, I'm going to change your title to put it in perspective.

THATmanMANNY

I actually had a good laugh when I saw that it was removed from the original thread and was gonna write "haha no comment"

But the 60 year old woman was nice and I did not frown upon her :D.

And you will essentially be the author of the biggest post ever.
Thank you?

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually had a good laugh when I saw that it was removed from the original thread and was gonna write "haha no comment"

I really, really don't like deleting stuff unless people cross the line. This certainly didn't cross the line but it was also a bit off-camber, if you will.

BiknBen

Sorry to say this but i feel a majority of roadies are a bunch of hardass, d-bags...

Now Manny...You and I have met a couple times. I represent the roadie hardass d-bags that you mentioned. Let me flip this around on you so that you better understand the situation you were in.

You show up at a race that is scored based on Time. Everyone is hoping to complete the race in the least amount of time. Racers spend thousands of dollars on gear. They dedicate ridiculous hours to training.

On race day they have one goal. Reduce the time to finish. Some people may be in contention for a high finish. The racer in last place may be turning himself inside out in order to set a new personal best.

If you were one of those people, what would you do? Would you sacrifice all the training you did to help a racer who was ill prepared on race day? One minute could be an eternity. Do I need to forfeit my race because someone did not bring what was required to fix a flat?

Kick yourself...not everyone else.

mwlikesbikes

I think Ben pretty much summed it up. It's been well established that hard-core Roadies and hard-core MTBers are very different animals. While roadies may own an MTB and an MTBer can own a road bike it's very rare that you are a fanatic to both disciplines much like how you can like the Beatles and like the Rolling Stones but you can only LOVE one.

for the record, I'm a Stones kinda guy :D

sixseven

A race is a race. Next time bring a pump. No one is there paying an entry fee so they can fix your bike.
You can use mine any other time on the trail.
If it was your car no one would have stopped either, unless you had a nice rack and a pretty face.
Ride on.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think Ben pretty much summed it up. It's been well established that hard-core Roadies and hard-core MTBers are very different animals. While roadies may own an MTB and an MTBer can own a road bike it's very rare that you are a fanatic to both disciplines

you guys know I can't pass comments to this one...

I don't think this is what Ben was saying at all. Ben was talking about racing and and why would someone sacrifice there position in a race to help a guy running with his bike, let alone running without f'ing shoes. :hmmm: It isn't like you were on the side of the road and a bunch of riders didn't stop.

Lets not forget here, it is ALL riding. If you asked me 10 years ago if i would ever ride a road bike, I would have said F no! I went from mtb to trials to strictly bmx back to mtb then added a road and now I spend 90% of my riding time on a road bike. Am I hardcore? don't know, but I do know that I love to ride anything with two wheels and pedals. As the wise ChrisG told me at Halters after talking about my riding history...you still are a bmxer and a trials rider, you are becoming a cyclist (something like that anyways) and he could not be more right.

Tough luck manny, but it is a race (as you noted).

mwlikesbikes

I was actually making a seperate comment after I said Ben summed it up.

I need to work on my paragraph structure i guess. :hmmm: My bad grammarizationing!

And for the record I ride road too (and enjoy it) but if I had too choose I'll pick the dirt anyday.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This Garbage Heap is paying dividends already. Of course everyone always watches the train wreck instead of the inspiration story, which is why TV news is what it is.

BiknBen

This Garbage Heap is paying dividends already. Of course everyone always watches the train wreck instead of the inspiration story, which is why TV news is what it is.

Let's get better use out of this thread!

I think triathletes look silly in short shorts and singlets (that tri-talk for tank top). They crash whenever they are forced to turn their bike. They don't know how to change a flat tire. :p

OTOH, I think it's cool that they write their numbers on their skin with permanent marker. It's like a race tattoo. :cool:

bobkennelly

Let's get better use out of this thread!

I think triathletes look silly in short shorts and singlets (that tri-talk for tank top). They crash whenever they are forced to turn their bike. They don't know how to change a flat tire. :p

OTOH, I think it's cool that they write their numbers on their skin with permanent marker. It's like a race tattoo. :cool:

I am one of those people Ben, 18 years now, and I can change a flat, although I dont wear those singlets..nor the shorty shorts..and I can turn a bike, especially when I am following you at Alaire!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom