The Garbage Heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kalmyk

Damn I am leading the pack in post that make the garbage heap....Oh well, I know where I'm coming from...Just playin redmen;):D

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jeff "the tool" ruch

another jerk-off who's shooting bs without knowledge. 83,000 acers in our back yard sure sounds good to me!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
another jerk-off who's shooting bs without knowledge. 83,000 acers in our back yard sure sounds good to me!

This is being moved to a more appropriate thread. All like-minded conversation can go here.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Got mine changed last week. Was my 1st full service 4x4 oil change, it was great..........

ArmyOfNone

I just learned my oil filter housing is broken. Now I have to go back to the last place I got it changed. :getsome:

don

That can be expensive!!

I still feel the pain from the bill I got for front/rear diff. and transfer case oil changeout... Ouch!

What fluid did you end up going with? I have Mobil 1 in both pumpkins and the T-Case. Redline MTF in the tranny. And Mobil 1 0W-40 in the motor.

Wobbegong

Just do it yourself.

And how would you drain the fluid out of a Chevy transfer case? You know, the kind without a drain plug....

A good mech. with proper equipment vacs it out, flushes the housing, vacs that out then refills. Not your typical do it at home job.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
if you are paying someone to flush anything, you are getting ripped off.
god especially a differential, you could fill the damn thing with maple syrup and it would be fine :)
and yes they have drain plugs. not a bolt like your oil pan but a square drive set screw looking plug, and another one to fill it from.

its been 10+ years since i've paid anyone to touch my car. all my cars are old and shitty and repaired in my driveway.

car maintenance is a huge huge scam. don't buy in, learn about your car. its the most expensive thing you'll own in your life outside of your home. i'm not saying everyone should work on their own car but at least KNOW whats going on so you don't get ripped off.
the word "flush" is synonymous with "rip off"

Last edited:

Wobbegong

if you are paying someone to flush anything, you are getting ripped off.
god especially a differential, you could fill the damn thing with maple syrup and it would be fine :)
and yes they have drain plugs. not a bolt like your oil pan but a square drive set screw looking plug, and another one to fill it from.

its been 10+ years since i've paid anyone to touch my car. all my cars are old and shitty and repaired in my driveway.

car maintenance is a huge huge scam. don't buy in, learn about your car. its the most expensive thing you'll own in your life outside of your home. i'm not saying everyone should work on their own car but at least KNOW whats going on so you don't get ripped off.
the word "flush" is synonymous with "rip off"

I totally agree with you that car maint. is a scam. The prices are outragous. I had 4 years of auto shop in school, I know my way around cars and trucks pretty well. My trucks front dif. doesnt have a drain, I dont think the rear does either. They need to be vaced or the cover pulled to drain. You may be correct on the dif. I'll have to check my repair manual. I was going to do this myself, but when I checked my repair manual and saw what was involved, I opted for the shop drop. I still do the basic stuff myself like oil changes, filters, belts, brakes and rotors, ect.

I have little time these days. I'd rather be with my son or on my bike as compared to under my truck. :)

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
oh yeah front and rear diffs almost never have drains. you just pop off the cover and the fluid falls out. re-silicone and you're good.

i bought a car out in kentucky years ago, and on the way back the transfer case ran out of fluid and locked up (previous owner didn't go in for the recall)
probably the scariest and worst night of my life.
by the grace of god i limped it another 600 miles home shitting my pants.
i'm still scarred from that experience. i made about 4k profit off that car though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom