• Everyone on 26

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Everyone on 27.5

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Everyone on 29er

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • XXS - MED 27.5 / LG-XXL 29er

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • XXS - Med 27.5 / MED- XXL in 29er (MED in both wheel Sizes)

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters

mandi

As long as my 26inch tires roll, I'm going to ride them.

I'll keep them alive.

26 FO LYFE :getsome:

Blair

I am pretty happy with the voting results so far. It seems like the scaled system makes a lot of sense to most people.

Based on this a $500 bike buyer would come in looking for a bike and depending on the size of the rider the wheel size may vary, but the spec would not.

Agreed, on a sub $1000 budget mtb wise you're not racing so you're looking for comfort, hardtail, beginner and its 90% legs anyway.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
When im on a 29er I can't wait to get off

I totally understand this. I felt the same way with 3 different ones that I tried. Then jdog plopped me on an XS woman specific 29er and it was fun. I will admit I came back to the lot smiling and asked what other colors it came in :D

While I enjoyed it, it doesnt seem like, to me anyway, what would be a "go to" bike for a variety of places and terrains. I still prefer my 26 for going to places that I may not know what will pop up in the trail since I know it can handle anything the trail throws at it whether its gnarly rock gardens or tight twisty sections. If it doesnt roll as well as a 29er, well then I just have to pedal harder is all.

It all depends on geometry, your body build, riding style, what you like about riding, what you hope to get out of riding.

As for jdog's original questions, well, I would like the opportunity to try a 650b/27.5er :rolleyes:

goodvibe

I am on the vertically challenged side and I have three mountain bikes: a 26" all-mountain, a small 29er hardtail, and a fat bike. My usual go-to bike is the 29er regardless of the terrain. I find that the efficiency of the hardtail and the ease of rolling trumps anything else.

As for the size thing, I bought an aluminum 29er because Santa Cruz didn't offer the carbon highball in a small. The geometry is perfect on the 16" frame. It just comes down to personal preference.

I like the 29er size cut off. I personally won't sell a 29er to anyone under 5'5"ish, it's just silly. The new breed of 29ers are also coming with 100mm forks standard which makes the front end even higher so that height requirement may change in the future to 5'7" or so?

Trek is doing super tiny 29ers and they're just weird to ride. Like hybrids almost, bars are very high in relation to the saddle. I can't see them riding well in the woods. A 650 is great option for those folks.

Medium size and up I still give the go for a 29er.

-Jim.

liong71er

"well...life is full of choices,as it is with our hobbies.choose what your heart and mind desire and sometimes impulsive will steer in a wrong way.no one shall or should tell other what and whatnot unless it is you wanna hear it and accepted it" confusing-liong-said-so

back on topics
i got 3 26er..one fulsus. i still rode them from time to time.and another 2 HT 29er (sometimes set it up rigid) both uses for "all kind" riding style and trails.

so,..yes i rode 26 and 29 and i don't care what others ride as long as it makes them happy and having fun doing it.
and i loves all my bikes with equally care and love.:D:D

i think a guy like jeff lenosky are fine example,this guy ride everything.give a him BMX and he will still kick our butt.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I am on the vertically challenged side and I have three mountain bikes: a 26" all-mountain, a small 29er hardtail, and a fat bike. My usual go-to bike is the 29er regardless of the terrain. I find that the efficiency of the hardtail and the ease of rolling trumps anything else.

As for the size thing, I bought an aluminum 29er because Santa Cruz didn't offer the carbon highball in a small. The geometry is perfect on the 16" frame. It just comes down to personal preference.

You see the new Solo!!?? That bike looks awesome.

-Jim.

goodvibe

You see the new Solo!!?? That bike looks awesome.

-Jim.

See it online. Looks cool, but I really like my Highball. I have ridden in NJ for the last 15 years on a full suspension bike and in the last year or so, wince I have had a Hardtail, I have been more apt to riding my 29er.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have shared the results of this poll with the brands we buy from.

They were very interested in the results.

serviceguy

Last edited:

Ian F

I would totally try a 36" wheel bike. It would be hilarious.

I missed the original poll, but it seems the hardtail market has somewhat settled on 27.5+/29 for most applications with a handful of 27.5 bikes still out there. Granted, back in 2013, DH racers were still on 26" bikes and 27.5" was just starting to show up as prototypes. 29ers were still mainly for the XC racer crowd. I was still a year away from buying my 2014 Carbine 275 which I thought would be the "last bike I'll ever need..." While I'm currently quite happy with my fleet, I've given up on ever saying that again...

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would totally try a 36" wheel bike. It would be hilarious.

I missed the original poll, but it seems the hardtail market has somewhat settled on 27.5+/29 for most applications with a handful of 27.5 bikes still out there. Granted, back in 2013, DH racers were still on 26" bikes and 27.5" was just starting to show up as prototypes. 29ers were still mainly for the XC racer crowd. I was still a year away from buying my 2014 Carbine 275 which I thought would be the "last bike I'll ever need..." While I'm currently quite happy with my fleet, I've given up on ever saying that again...
People were on the verge of riot when DH 29ers started showing up. I think Santa Cruz may have been one of the first teams racing prototype 29s? One season later and 27.5 is “only for park” and you have to have 29 for race 🤦‍♂️

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
People were on the verge of riot when DH 29ers started showing up. I think Santa Cruz may have been one of the first teams racing prototype 29s? One season later and 27.5 is “only for park” and you have to have 29 for race 🤦‍♂️
I think my favorite was when plus and jr fat were fighting for market share, until people realized 3-3.5 didn’t do much for you.

Top Bottom