The Freeride Thread

Ian F

I’m sure we’ve ridden together. I helped maintain those trails you speak of. They were built by some local DH guys who wanted a place to practice during the off season. One of the biggest drops was called “World Cup.” At the bottom you had to cross a stream and walk across a small rock damn to get to the parking lot. One time they opened up the Wanaque reservoir spillway. When we got to the bottom the stream was almost 2’ above the damn. We had to take our shoes and socks off and cross holding our bikes above our heads. That was one for the books!

The place fell into disrepair. About 12 years ago me and a few buddies went in and revived it. Place lasted about a month before Rangers came in and dismantled everything. That ended my (short lived) rogue trail building career.
Possibly. I only rode there with Kathi Krause and Steve Perraro (RIP) along with another guy from NJ who was really into hucking - Joe "Cool" Visalli. I remember the World Cup drop. There was another one that the name escapes me (Back Beach?), but you had to do a rock roll and then a bit of trail before hucking off a drop that was about 10'. Further down was something they called the "Vortex" that was a steep rock roll onto transition ramp built out of plywood painted green (in hopes of hiding it, I assume).

Unfortunately, the second time I went there, I wrecked in one of the rock sections and broke my hand. By the time I had healed, I think Diablo had reopened.

I remember crossing the rock damn at the end of the trail and then all of us piling into the back of a box truck that was the shuttle.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Possibly. I only rode there with Kathi Krause and Steve Perraro (RIP) along with another guy from NJ who was really into hucking - Joe "Cool" Visalli. I remember the World Cup drop. There was another one that the name escapes me (Back Beach?), but you had to do a rock roll and then a bit of trail before hucking off a drop that was about 10'. Further down was something they called the "Vortex" that was a steep rock roll onto transition ramp built out of plywood painted green (in hopes of hiding it, I assume).

Unfortunately, the second time I went there, I wrecked in one of the rock sections and broke my hand. By the time I had healed, I think Diablo had reopened.

I remember crossing the rock damn at the end of the trail and then all of us piling into the back of a box truck that was the shuttle.
Man this is the kind of stuff I’m trying to find. Spots like that are always so hush hush that eventually they cease to exist...especially now I feel kids just want to hit flowy jump parks. You can go to creek on the busiest day of the season and feel like you have the mountain to yourself because nobody rides the tech.

Reactions: don

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Sucks you got hurt. Kathi is a Plattekill legend. We’ve ridden together. Cool Joe too. Here I am dropping into the Vortex. Fun memories!!
1604145784848.png

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If your not following on YT Phil Kimetz aka skills with Phil do so. He is always approachable and often seen at our east coast bike parks. Dude has outstanding skills. I watched him session a gap on cats paw (highlands)where he gapped the 20' taking out the turns. My kid was blown away.

Ian F

Agreed. Phil makes everything look so easy. And there's a video of him gapping a section of a trail (out west, I think...) with a bunch of other top pro riders (including Yoann) and he blew their minds as well.

ebarker9

Phil is a lunatic and seems like a good guy. I think that's this Pinkbike video at Whistler.

Watching this, I have zero desire to ever hit gaps like that but would love to be able to corner like those guys.

Last edited:

Ian F

Watching this, I have zero desire to ever hit gaps like that but would love to be able to corner like those guys.
Really... corning is definitely my weakest area. A buddy I ride with is so good at cornering. I try to copy what he does, but it's just so natural for him. He used to get podium finishes in Sport class DH races on a Chameleon hardtail against guys riding full DH bikes - mainly because he was so much better at carrying speed through corners even on a hardtail.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, been watching Phil for a couple of years now. Actually my recent Evil Calling purchase was somewhat based on his experience with it.

Same problems with the cornering... I’m down to send huge drops and gaps... I love that shit, but it doesn’t win races. Cornering wins races.

Ian F

One video that really drove home how much Pros corner was watching Aaron Gwin's race run at Mtn Creek from a few years ago. One section near the bottom where the course goes through a series of tight gully turns. In his video, it's just "R-L-R - gone!" like the corners aren't even there. Whereas when I ride through that section I feel like a turtle.

ebarker9

I've been trying to mix in some cone drills every now and then. I'm reasonably good at longer turns and flat/off camber, but I can't work out that quick change of direction that the better guys seem to have. Weirdly enough, it seems to be worse with berms.

Ian F

Riding berms is my worst skill and hurts me on the bigger jump trails since I have trouble carrying the required speed. I'm really hoping to take some coaching lessons next year.

ebarker9

I've taken some coaching in the past including the Shaums March thing at Mt Creek last year. "Jeb" at Mountain Creek was one of the people helping out at that and I was really impressed with his teaching (and riding). They didn't do any lessons this year but I'm hoping to sign up for a few next year.

Ian F

I've taken some coaching in the past including the Shaums March thing at Mt Creek last year. "Jeb" at Mountain Creek was one of the people helping out at that and I was really impressed with his teaching (and riding). They didn't do any lessons this year but I'm hoping to sign up for a few next year.
Funny you mention that - I tool a Shaums March clinic at Mt Snow back in 2001. Some of the bike set-up tips he gave me I still use today. The race courses were so different back then...

ebarker9

Funny you mention that - I tool a Shaums March clinic at Mt Snow back in 2001. Some of the bike set-up tips he gave me I still use today. The race courses were so different back then...

Yeah, just a bit.

Shaums is awesome. It was really cool just getting to follow him down trails at Creek that I've ridden a thousand times but he's able to do stuff that never even would have occurred to me. He's also really personable and an excellent instructor. I'm hoping they do another one.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeb can rip. He seems like a cool dude. Supposedly they posted up a clinic earlier this season and nobody signed up for it so they didn’t plan anymore. On the flip side, the ladies clinics have been packed. Dudes are more stubborn to admit they need help lol.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
some sweet lines in this one:

Only got to watch first half of this so far but hell yeah, roller city.

I got invited up to some secret free ride trails a few days ago and it felt like Squamish lite. It was so fucking gnarly. I underestimated and took my small bike - big mistake. Bottomed it out and got hurt like three features in lol. I’m dying to go back with more travel....it’s all I can think about now lol.

BACKWOODS FREE RIDE IS STILL ALIVE!

Top Bottom