The "Elbow Flick"

ArmyOfNone

This first time i hear this referenced was last weekend. Ben was talking about pacelines and their magical inner workings. On the ride yesterday the guy i was riding was using the signal. I know there are many little signals used while riding w/ a group. I guess it didnt click to ask then so here i am. I know there are many little signals used while riding w/ a group. Figure i ask here b4 i tried to use it and make an ass out of myself.

Is it as simple as a flick to signal the guy behind you and then pull of to get on the back?

Silly question but i have just been thinking about it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've seen different groups use different signals. Basically what I see it boil down to is this:

A. Point down (pothole, glass, dead rabbit, Jimmy Hoffa)
B. Anything else (I'm dropping off the pull)

I'm sure there's some official bike sign language but I don't know it.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The elbow flick means "I'm done pulling, go by on this side". Whenever possible, a rider should pull over to the windward side, thus sheltering the advancing rider.

Pointing out and safely avoiding road hazards is a significant responsibility of the lead rider(s) in a pace line, particularly as speeds increase. Riding blindly into a pothole/rock/dead groundhog/etc. can make for a bad day, right quick.

I think that this stuff is one of things that sometimes turns off mtbers to the road- you can't "go into your own zone" in a group ride the way you can when riding singletrack. The flipside is that a well-versed group can really roll up a paceline, and the speed and energy is pretty damn cool.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
That is great info! All i need to do is find some more ppls to ride w/ to work on it.
as a side note i recently learned the proper way to spit while riding in a pantaloon (or whatever it is called): left arm at the 7:00 position or right arm at the 5:00, and spit spit in front of the arm, which will break the wind enough so as not to loogeey the rider behind you.

ArmyOfNone

as a side note i recently learned the proper way to spit while riding in a pantaloon (or whatever it is called): left arm at the 7:00 position or right arm at the 5:00, and spit spit in front of the arm, which will break the wind enough so as not to loogeey the rider behind you.

nice!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I recently learned the proper way to spit while riding in a pantaloon
Does this also involve tea & crumpets?

BTW: That's quite a thoughtful technique. I usually just spit straight downward forcefully and figure the guys behind me will have to deal with it if something gets caught on the wind.

BiknBen

Ben was talking about pacelines and their magical inner workings.

I am a wizard of the paceline. Follow me young apprentice. I shall show you the way. Google "Paceline Etiquette" and you'll be well on your way.

The elbow flick is commonly used by racer types because it is easy to do in nearly all situations and doesn't impact steering control. I could be seated or standing, climbing a hill, braking, or bouncing through rough road and always be able to flick my elbow out to the side.

Keep in mind that every group has their own methods. You pick up on all these little things over time. Simply watch what everyone else does. You'll get the hang of it.

So when are we going for a road ride???

Top Bottom